storage of auto helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storage of auto helmets

A recent post has initiated this question. I have a couple of auto helmets. One I store in my shop (unheated) and one I keep in the tool box of my truck in a terry cloth sack (for protection from scratching and dammage). My question is this, both of these were bought this past spring and I am wondering if cold weather will cause problems with the helmet? I am in North Texas with temps usually only getting into the 20's during the winter. Occasionally it may get colder but it usually wont last too long. Rarely will it remain below freezing for more than a week. They stay dry I am only concerned about the freezing aspect. Thanks for you opinions and if it matters they are both Jackson lenses.

What does your owner's manual say about cold temperatures?

My concern would be the speed of the darkening may be slowed in the cold weather.
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

I have had mine in cold weather Hot and rain and I never see a difference in performance. But mine are all solor controlled and not battery controlled.
      Dave Evans

Comment

auto helmet storage

I have 2 Optrel solar powered helmets and I store them in clear plastic zippered bags that my wife gave me. They are the type that king or queen sized bed sheets or blankets are packaged in. They are clear ( so batteries stay charged ), have zippers and seal ( so lenses stay clean and dust free ), and they are pliable. If you store a solar powered helmet in the dark it will lose its charge. The best part is they are free. My helmets are always charged and clean since she suggested I use the bags.

Another trick she gave me was an old computer cover that I place over my HH175 when not being used. It keeps my welder looking brand new. That was free also. They were throwing out old computers at work and most had covers.
        bitternut

Comment

My auto-darkening Hobart Hood specifications are:

Storage: -4F to +158F
          Operation: +14F to +131F

A pretty broad range...
          Bill C

Comment

I am looking for a carrying case for an auto hood. Any ideas on where to get one? I like the idea about the free plastic covers!
            John

Comment

Thanks guys
              Bill, that was the info I needed. My instructions said nothing about the temps. I was mainly concerned about freezing the lens and if that would affect the crystals/lcd/whatever is in them that makes it changes shades.
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Whiddon
                Thanks guys
                Bill, that was the info I needed. My instructions said nothing about the temps. I was mainly concerned about freezing the lens and if that would affect the crystals/lcd/whatever is in them that makes it changes shades.
                Mark
                Mark,

That was why I expressed my concern about the effects on the speed of the auto-darkening. I know that my Palm Pilot screen gets real slow when it has been left out in the cold...
                Bill C

Comment

Helment Storage

Check out Army/Navy Surplus Stores. Look for a pilots helment bag. They are about $15.00. Black or green & padded . . . .

Steve

Comment

helmet bag

Miller makes a nice bag made for helmets that list for around 10 bucks. Mine is great. You can get it labeled as a miller or a hobart.

Comment

Working...
                    X