What welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What welder?

i am getting ready to buy a mig welder. i am a total novice to mig welding i have arc welded in the past but not much. i am looking at the HH175 basically because of price. it might help if i tell you what i will be using it for. i will be fabricating stuff on my cj-7 probably the thickest material i will weld will be 3/8" maybee.... probably 1/4" at the thickest.

also i have never mig welded...should i just pick the gun up and practice or should i take a class? how hard is it to learn on a HH175?

thanks

Chris G.

Re: What welder?

Originally posted by chrisjeep7
    i am getting ready to buy a mig welder. i am a total novice to mig welding i have arc welded in the past but not much. i am looking at the HH175 basically because of price. it might help if i tell you what i will be using it for. i will be fabricating stuff on my cj-7 probably the thickest material i will weld will be 3/8" maybee.... probably 1/4" at the thickest.

also i have never mig welded...should i just pick the gun up and practice or should i take a class? how hard is it to learn on a HH175?

thanks

Chris G.
    Go for the HH175 I have one and love it. It would definatly help to take classes, but you can learn the HH without. I would do alot of practicing before welding on the Jeep.
    ROCK

Comment

Chris

I highly recommend that you take a Basic MIG welding class. In a 3 month time period you will learn more than you probably would in 5 to 10 years trying to teach yourself.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

CHRISJEEP7........HEY I MUST ADMIT I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, BUT IF YOU TAKE SOME CLASSES EVEN IF YOU ONLY REMEMBER 1/2 OF THE TECHNIQUES AND STYLES THEY TEACH THEN THAT WILL BE BETTER THAN LEARNING SOMETHING THAT IS WRONG AND ONLY GET'S YOU BY.......... SOME OF THE FIRST THINGS (PROJECTS) I WELDED UP WERE DISMAL FAILURE'S, ENGINE STANDS BENT AND BROKE WHEN HEADS WERE ATTACHED, OXY/ACC CART TIRES BOWED IN AND COULDN'T MOVE IT...... TYPICAL THINGS SOMETIMES IT IS A WONDER SOMEONE DIDN'T GET HURT........ EVER SEE AN OXYGEN BOTTLE TAKE OFF, JUST LIKE A ROCKET...........SEEN ONE IN THE NAVY ONCE MAN THOSE HEAVY THINGS FLY.......FAST........I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE CLASSES, CAN'T TAKE ONE THEN GET SOME WELDING MANUALS FROM THE INTERNET AND STUDY THEM FRONT TO BACK........... TRY TO LEARN A LITTLE ABOUT METALURGY..............HAVE SOME FUN .......ROCK
        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X