Are Reconditioned Welders Any Good???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Reconditioned Welders Any Good???

Since money is always an issue, I have a quick question.
    I am in the market for a welder. I had posted here before
    On size and I have decided to purchase a HH-175 as my
    First choice. I have been on the web looking for the best
    Price and I have come across a few reconditioned other
    Brand welders at a substantial saving. What are your
    Opinions on the reconditioned units and does Hobart and
    Miller have an outlet for them. Thanks, Nick

I always try to buy "scratch and dents" from the manufacturer. They usually have the same warranty at a good discount.

ps Have you tried
    http://store.yahoo.com/cyberweld/index.html

I bought my hh175 there, really good price.
    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

HI......... MILLER/HOBART HANDLES RECONDITIONED EQUIPMENT...... BUT........... USUALLY ONLY TO THE DISTRIBUTOR'S AND THEY ARE A OR B STOCK....... THEY NEED TO BE WITH IN THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PERIOD........"A " STOCK EQUALS 2 YEAR WARRANTY........"B" STOCK EQUALS 1 YEAR WARRANTY......AT LEAST THAT IS HOW IT WORKS HERE ON PAPER.....ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

I asked my local dealer to keep me in mind for a used welder. He got one in off a short-term lease and sold it to me for a good price. I had to wait a while for something to come up and it was a bigger machine than I needed but I have been happy with the deal. Internet business is good for what it is but I like dealing with local folks if I have on-going needs. My local welding supplier has helped me with advise and has been fair with new equipment that I have purchased from them. You might ask your local dealer to offer you a 30-90 day warranty on some used gear.
        Take care,
        John

Comment

If you are going to do this I would suggest that you think over the deal you are getting. I purchased a reconditioned mig welder with a 90 day warranty on it. It worked pretty good for about a year and then the circuit board went out of it. The price on me replacing the circuit board along with what I had already paid for the welder was going to put my cost way over what I could have bought the same welder for new. The repair store stood behind me when I got ahold of the manufacturer of the welder, when we told them It hadn't been abused and it looked just like new so the manufacturer agreed supply the part if I would pay the labor. This took a lot off the bill, if I hadn't of checked though, I would have ended up paying for the entire bill, and afterward I still would have a reconditioned machine, and if it breaks down again I will more than likely have to foot the bill on my own. I might mention mine is not a Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln welder. If I were going to buy another reconditioned welder I would make sure it had a warranty on it that would at least pay for parts for the first couple years.

Comment

I have decided to purchase a new welder instead of the reconditioned unit I was offered.......thanks for the responses.

Comment

Recon welders can be a good deal. I have had one, used it for 6 years on a weekly basis, sold it 5 years ago to a small fab shop and they use it daily. The only repair was the on/off sw. Paid $175 for a RECON Lincoln AC/DC tombstone(1990). Sold it for $150. This was a Lincoln Factory Recon with full 3 year warranty.Others I have seen were not as lucky. But I have seen some new machines go south and be swaped out by the dealers, sent back to the manufacters for warrenty.
              XMT 300CC/CV (yes it still works)
              Bobcat 225, Hobart Hefty CC/CV wire feeder, Profax spool gun,Victor & Smith O/A, Lincoln Tombstone(sold), Airco HF box (old Miller) MM175, IR 4KW gen set,all paid for, all work. My newest addition MM130 salvaged from a Kitrina flood area. Cleaned up and works great. . Just added a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, total cost to repair both less than $200.00, they both work great...another Katrina cast off.

Comment

Frank's example of buying used stick welder with little electronics has least risk buying used. That is also why people request manuals here for Hobard welders built 20 to 40 years ago.
                The more complicated the design with extra parts and features the more likly to break. One part failure often stresses other working parts setting up future failures.

Comment

Working...
                X