Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller 330A/BP tig

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miller 330A/BP tig

    I am looking into buying one of these. Anybody out there own one? or maybe you used one.
    Does this welder actually weigh 830 lbs? I'd appreciate any reviews of this welder. Has Anybody put one on wheels or casters? comments?

  • #2
    i used to own one, and know a few people with them i nthe other colors. awsome machines. i never new the actuall weight, but i guessed somewhere between 5-800. it is very heavy, as tall as it is, i could barely tilt it at the top to get a handtruck under it, it also put some squash in my suspension on my 2500 when i loaded it up to haul it. i sold it as i needed the space in my garage. you can find a nice one all equiped with tig and stick leads from 3-800 bucks. they do like amps if you are going to be cranking it up at all and the fan is pretty loud as its a big old monster if you care about that. before i sold it i was planning on making a cart on some casters with a hanger on the side for all the lead and stuff, to roll it around if i had too.

    Comment


    • #3
      That weight of 800# might be a bit light, my 360 put a serious taildrag on a 3/4Ton pickup. At full wide open (600A DC out) it draws 212Amps of single phase input. Will make the meter go around rather rapidly.
      Miller 360A/BP----Miller 44G--K-4000 Arcair--3045FC--Hobart Ultra-flex 350

      Comment


      • #4
        Miller 330 A/BP tig

        I have one out in the shop right now. I got the manuals from miller and called them back to confirm that I should hook it up to a 175 amp input. I thought it was a misprint...it wasn't. It is one heavy son of a gun, but I did build a cart to move it around with and (with a lot of grunting) it is portable. It's not as heavy as my Wilson Hornet model DC generator welder. I built a cart for it and ended up using four wheels on each axle because it was bowing the 1/2 steel axle rods I made for it.

        CATM93

        Comment


        • #5
          mine was rated at 110 amp input, 435 output. if i remember right. i ran it on a 50 or 60 with no problems. the guy i got it from actually had it on a dryer plug in thier shop.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am using a 330A/BP now

            Originally posted by wilt6496 View Post
            I am looking into buying one of these. Anybody out there own one? or maybe you used one.
            Does this welder actually weigh 830 lbs? I'd appreciate any reviews of this welder. Has Anybody put one on wheels or casters? comments?
            Yes, it is VREY heavy, and yes, it welds great! I found a footpedal on E-bay and had to cut the 8 pin plug off, and replace it with the 2 that mine required, and had to change the rheostat inside, but now it works like a dream.
            If you run into problems like that, the service dept. @ Miller in Appleton are very helpful.
            I have mine on casters, and it sinks into the blacktop even if it is not hot! It weighs all of 800 lbs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jamesdart View Post
              mine was rated at 110 amp input, 435 output. if i remember right. i ran it on a 50 or 60 with no problems. the guy i got it from actually had it on a dryer plug in thier shop.
              If yer planning on building ships and submarines you might need some amps.
              If yer just doing normal welding projects tooling etc. etc. 60 amps is fine.
              Use 6 or 8 inch wheels.

              I have two with diodes and one selenium LUV 'EM ALL.
              Attached Files
              sigpicViceGrip
              Negative people have a problem for every solution

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                I have two with diodes and one selenium LUV 'EM ALL.
                Why'd you leave the AirCo out of the picture?

                I've got a 330AB/P in Orange (AirCo branded) myself. I'm just starting out learning to TIG using it, and I have never TIG'ed with any other welder, so I can't really compare it to anything. It does weld, though!

                The only complaint I have is the weak high-freq start when the tungsten is cold. I've changed the points and the two capacitors, but still no improvement. Once the tungsten warms up, it's got plenty of hi-freq. I'm usually forced to scratch start it when cold.

                And yes, it's indeed very heavy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bluesparks View Post
                  Why'd you leave the AirCo out of the picture?
                  .................
                  I'm usually forced to scratch start it when cold.

                  And yes, it's indeed very heavy.
                  The Airco's have their own pics but in Photobucket.
                  The finer Airco won't H.F. start on the first hit, but after that
                  it has a finer gentler H.F. start than anything else period!

                  Our Dynasty at work can't even match the gently perfect start
                  on subsequential starts.
                  I have no Idea why?
                  sigpicViceGrip
                  Negative people have a problem for every solution

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have used many machines, and the 330 is by far the smoothest. To me, the dynasty starts lighter as it has a snap start or what ever they call it. But, the 330s have such a smooth arc, absolutely unbeatable. If you intend on doing aluminum on the other hand...........
                    Miller dynasty 350
                    Miller syncrowave 250
                    Miller deltaweld 450
                    Miller cp-300
                    And one fancy microwelding setup

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by weldaway View Post
                      I have used many machines, and the 330 is by far the smoothest these photos from phenq. To me, the dynasty starts lighter as it has a snap start or what ever they call it. But, the 330s have such a smooth arc, absolutely unbeatable. If you intend on doing aluminum on the other hand...........
                      +1 for the 330. I've had mine for over 9 years now and it has never gone wrong. **** heavy too. I think it's time for an upgrade though. How much do you think I could sell this for? Anyone want to make an offer?
                      Last edited by MoonDrums; 05-13-2016, 02:42 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If some~one with a truck, and large quantities of both brains and muscle
                        happens to catch in your net, $300 to $500 offset by region.

                        If not it scraps out around $80 if you separate it all out.
                        The RFC 23 pedals get more than the welder does.
                        sigpicViceGrip
                        Negative people have a problem for every solution

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                          If yer planning on building ships and submarines you might need some amps.
                          If yer just doing normal welding projects tooling etc. etc. 60 amps is fine.
                          Use 6 or 8 inch wheels.

                          I have two with diodes and one selenium LUV 'EM ALL.
                          Nice clean looking machines VG. There are several on a local online auction that come out of the U of M that are that clean and pretty.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lars66 View Post
                            Nice clean looking machines VG. There are several on a local online auction that come out of the U of M that are that clean and pretty.
                            That's how I got these!
                            Thanks BTW, Lars.

                            2004 I was visiting my Mom in North Carolina, and a local vocational school
                            modernized and auctioned off these and an Air Crafter, but my ca$h ran dry.

                            Old Blue {pictured here} had been left with loose bolts on the polarity rotary knife switch.........
                            ............. from the factory. It got jammed in AC early on and was wheeled into storage
                            where it languished for decades.

                            Once I got it home, I spent hours doing open~heart surgery getting the little nuts back
                            into position using dental floss and long nose plyers. The option was a total frontal tare~down.
                            She's a selenium Jewel !

                            You should hear Dave Kamp's explanation why a selenium rectified arc is the best there is.***
                            It's the back-flow at each reversal, that sets up a "Ripple" in the arc.
                            Much like with water moving thru a set of check valves plumbed in the same fasion as a rectifier bridge.
                            A little water flows back, each time the flaps close. Same with the selenium bridge.

                            And just think this is a half century before Pulse!
                            As diode bridges tightened up this inefficient back~flow........
                            ........... the Magic was lost.

                            *** read post #10, a claim from a seasoned professional veteran Tool and Die Welder.
                            Last edited by vicegrip; 01-14-2016, 12:41 AM.
                            sigpicViceGrip
                            Negative people have a problem for every solution

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                              That's how I got these!
                              Thanks BTW, Lars.

                              2004 I was visiting my Mom in North Carolina, and a local vocational school
                              modernized and auctioned off these and an Air Crafter, but my ca$h ran dry.

                              Old Blue {pictured here} had been left with loose bolts on the polarity rotary knife switch.........
                              ............. from the factory. It got jammed in AC early on and was wheeled into storage
                              where it languished for decades.

                              Once I got it home, I spent hours doing open~heart surgery getting the little nuts back
                              into position using dental floss and long nose plyers. The option was a total frontal tare~down.
                              She's a selenium Jewel !

                              You should hear Dave Kamp's explanation why a selenium rectified arc is the best there is.***
                              It's the back-flow at each reversal, that sets up a "Ripple" in the arc.
                              Much like with water moving thru a set of check valves plumbed in the same fasion as a rectifier bridge.
                              A little water flows back, each time the flaps close. Same with the selenium bridge.

                              And just think this is a half century before Pulse!
                              As diode bridges tightened up this inefficient back~flow........
                              ........... the Magic was lost.

                              *** read post #10, a claim from a seasoned professional veteran Tool and Die Welder.
                              Yeah I still have a 5CS in that style cabinet and selenium rectifiers, 500 amp wire welder. FYI the ones on the hoff on line auctions were at give away prices last time I looked.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X