.030 HTP wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .030 HTP wire

Fellow board member Sundown ( George), was nice enough to send me a 10 lbs roll of this wire to try it out.

I wanted to try the wire out on my HH 187, however my landlord was borrowing my carport this weekend for a garage sale. So, we went to my Dad's for a visit. Since it wasn't set up, I took the PM 180C along for a visit.

I only have 3/16" X 2 " flat bar right now, so this is what I used for testing this evening.

Went with the MM 210 as my first unit to try the wire out on. I was pleased to discover, that the wire ran quite well on this unit. Meaning a solid arc, light spatter, and good weld puddle wetout.

After this, I gave the wire a try on the PM 180C. I discovered quickly that I favor the arc characteristics of the MM 210 over the PM 180C. Don't get me wrong, the Pm 180C performed well with wire too. The arc was good, spatter was light, and weld puddle wetout was just as good as the 210. The 210 just has a little bit nicer arc.

I was also given a good reminder this evening why most of my units are a tapped V unit. I was just welding on horz. T joints, so dialing the 210 in was as simple as selecting V tap #4, then playing with the wire in the 55 - 60 range to find the spot were it ran best. The 180C on the other hand consumed quite a bit more time playing with the voltage dial, and wire speed a little to get the arc quality to turn out as good as the 210. This doesn't mean the V dial on the PM 180C had a short range were it produce good result. Truth is it has a fairly wide range were it produced good results. It just took a little bit to get the arc dialed in as smooth as I was seeing from the MM 210.

BTW, the sticker on the roll states MADE IN CHINA. This is the first roll I ve tried, so I have no idea if China is the only supplier of HTP's wire, or if the performance I was seeing out of this roll, can be expect from all .030 HTP wire.
    Last edited by Dan; 08-12-2007, 07:08 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Fellow board member Sundown ( George), was nice enough to send me a 10 lbs roll of this wire to try it out.

I wanted to try the wire out on my HH 187, however my landlord was borrowing my carport this weekend for a garage sale. So, we went to my Dad's for a visit. Since it wasn't set up, I took the PM 180C along for a visit.

I only have 3/16" X 2 " flat bar right now, so this is what I used for testing this evening.

Went with the MM 210 as my first unit to try the wire out on. I was pleased to discover, that the wire ran quite well on this unit. Meaning a solid arc, light spatter, and good weld puddle wetout.

After this, I gave the wire a try on the PM 180C. I discovered quickly that I favor the arc characteristics of the MM 210 over the PM 180C. Don't get me wrong, the Pm 180C performed well with wire too. The arc was good, spatter was light, and weld puddle wetout was just as good as the 210. The 210 just has a little bit nicer arc.

I was also given a good reminder this evening why most of my units are a tapped V unit. I was just welding on T joints, so dialing the 210 in, was as simple as selecting V tap #4 then playing with the wire in the 55 - 60 range to find the spot were it ran best. The 180C on the other hand consumed quite a bit more time playing with the voltage dial and wire speed a little to get the arc quality to turn out as good as the 210. This doesn't mean the V dial on the PM 180C had a short range were it produce good result. Truth is it has a fairly wide range were it produced good results. It just took a little bit to get the arc dialed in as smooth as I was seeing from the MM 210.

BTW, the sticker on the roll states MADE IN CHINA. This is the first roll I ve tried, so I have no idea if China is the only supplier of HTP's wire, or if the performance I was seeing out of this roll, can be expect from all .030 HTP wire.
    Hi Dan:

I have ran a bunch of the .035 and .030 HTP in the 30 pound spools for several years in my personal shop and as far as I know,the earlier wire was from Italy and the current wire has been from China for quite some time.I agree,I was a bit leary about trying the Chinneese wire,but it does do a fine job,especialy considering the very cheap price and shipping from HTP.When I first tried the Chineese wire,I spoke to Jeff Noland of HTP and he assured me that it would run just as good as the Italian wire that I really liked and even told me that if for any reason I did not like it,He would give me a full refund for the wire and even the shipping,so how could I go wrong ? I have tried a lot of import wires over the years and only found a few that I could say that I just did not like,the main one being the Esab Mig 6,wich I believe was a Mexican wire.I tried several spools of that wire and even gave some spools to friends,but none of us liked it much.The distributor insisted that mabe the pallet lot that We got was just a fluke bad lot,because he even tried the wire on one of our machines and agreed that it just was'nt a good running wire.Well,he brought another pallet and same ol,same ol,so We gave up on that wire completely.We ended up trying a pallet of made in USA Esab and that was a fine wire,with not one problem with one single spool,but with the polilics in large plants,somehow,we ended up going back to the Hobart wire,wich was fine wire too.I did try to get the HTP wire in to the shop,but there are just too many politics involved in large plants,especialy one with very large spending budgets like ours.

tooldude56.
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
    DC600/LN7
    XMT 304/64 feeder W/ digitals
    Esab PCM-875 plasma
    2 -Oxweld O/A ,W-17/CW-23 torches,R-77 2 stg reg.
    new Clausing Metosa SM1560VS Smart lathe CNC/Manual
    Wells index 12x48 mod. 847 vertical 3HP. mill,3 axis DRO,3 axis PF.,Maxi-torque-rite PDB.
    Dake #3 arbor press
    Kalamazoo H9AW hor. metal saw
    16" Kolley vert. metal saw,
    Trinco 36" blast cabinet with collecter
    All Snapon
    huge Summit vert. bandsaw
    6x18 Reid Rollerway surface grinder

Comment

We have a global economy now. My last purchase of wire was Weldmark, made in Sweden. I figured it had to be good thinking about Swedish steel.
      What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike W View Post
        We have a global economy now. My last purchase of wire was Weldmark, made in Sweden. I figured it had to be good thinking about Swedish steel.
        I bought a roll of the Weldmark .030 and though I like the wire itself, it's random wound, and pretty poorly at that. I probably won't buy any more of it just for that reason.
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Zrexxer, where was your wire made? I assume that the wire is coiled where it was made, I could be wrong.
          What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the info on HTP wire and keep us posted on how it performs compared to what you have in your wire closet.

I've never tried HTP wire, but I have no reason to believe it would be bad quality since Jeff Noland is good about keeping his customers happy.

Charles
            Millermatic Passport Plus
            Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
            XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
            Dynasty 300 DX
            Victor O/A
            Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the checkout of the HTP wire I sent, I havn't had a chance to check out the roll I kept and probabley won't until for a few weeks yet when I can get michaels new H140 setup. But at $16.75 a roll it sounded like a good deal to me.
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

All my 1# aluminum spools (for the spoolgun) are HTP. IIRC, my last purchase was 40#
                Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                Clarke Hotshot

Comment

I am on my 5th 10# roll of HTP wire and i have no complaints. Order the wire from Jeff and the tips ship for free. And his tips are the best i have ever used in the 30 years i have been mig welding...Bob
                  Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                  Metal Master Fab
                  Salem, Ohio
                  Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                  http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

sorry if im hi jacking your post but has any tried the harbor frieght solid wire ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1950bombita View Post
                      sorry if im hi jacking your post but has any tried the harbor frieght solid wire ?
                      Tried the CE wire from HF, didn't like it ... besides the HTP wire is cheaper even with the shipping. JMHO ... And I would still pay the extra to get Hobart HB-28 over the HF wire anytime.
                      Regards, George

Comment

I have my first mig, a HH187 on the way ( Tool king has them back in stock) so I need some wire.

Couple of questions:

1: how well does the 187 handle the 10# spools?

2: what is the contact info for the wire supplier in this thread?

Thanks

Also, I need a decent helmet. What is reccomended for a hobby user in a auto darkening unit. I want quality, not a Harbor Freight throw away. I have found a few of the Miller XLI units that were discontinued on clearance for $100?
                        Last edited by cjheap; 08-14-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                          Tried the CE wire from HF, didn't like it ... besides the HTP wire is cheaper even with the shipping. JMHO ... And I would still pay the extra to get Hobart HB-28 over the HF wire anytime.
                          where do you get it from ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1950bombita View Post
                            where do you get it from ?
                            You can order it from Ebay or on Jeff Nolands HTP site, I think you can just just search for HTP Weld on google.

HTP
                            Last edited by Sundown; 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM.
                            Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by cjheap View Post
                              <snip>1: how well does the 187 handle the 10# spools?<snip>Also, I need a decent helmet. What is reccomended for a hobby user in a auto darkening unit. I want quality, not a Harbor Freight throw away. I have found a few of the Miller XLI units that were discontinued on clearance for $100?
                              The HH187 will handle 8" spools great, If you want a very nice, great quality helmet check out the new Miller professional series, I like mine much much better than the Miller BWE I had before.
                              Regards, George

Comment

Working...
                              X