Who makes welders for Snap-On?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes welders for Snap-On?

My brother in law was over and sneered at my Powcon SM&ST and Hobart Hefty feeder. I heard him tell Father in law that he doesn't buy crap, he has a new Snap-On welder. From their site they do not look familiar at all. Just wondering who makes these wonder machines that he likely is paying at least 5x too much for.
    Supersized Chocolate Lab with gas leak!

Systematics, the last I heard.

You have name-brand stuff. HE HAS CRAP....
    Last edited by MAC702; 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
      Systematics, the last I heard.

You have name-brand stuff. HE HAS CRAP....
      Ditto.

My Blue Point (Snap On) Plasma was made in Italy, but I don't know what brand it was. I'm sure Snap On does not make their own welders. I'd be curious what he has, and what he paid for it.

As a side note, the Snap On guy was in a friend's cycle shop, and was going off against Craftsman (CrapsMan, I believe he kept saying), saying how they are strictly "beginners toy tools", etc, and how he keeps taking the entire sets in (for next to nothing) on trade -in just to get new young mechanics into a decent set of "professional" tools. He went on to say how many such sets he had 'taken in' just lately. I said, I'd take one of those rolling boxes full of Craftsman for the "200.00 he gave for them....he seemed to get quiet, and ...seems he didn't really have any after
      all!
      Last edited by Hotfoot; 06-10-2007, 07:04 PM.
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

He keeps it in his buddies auto shop business, never seen it, just know that he's the kind of guy that thinks everything he has is better. His welder may be, but I bet he has 4k more in it than both my Powcons and my Hefty combined, which all make beautiful welds. I just wondered, because I have never seen a Snap-On anything other than in auto shops. I have been supervising, managing and welding in industrial settings for the past 15 years and I have yet to see anything other than the big three and of course Powcon.

Comment

I'll take a PowCon and an old Hobart Hefty feeder ANYTIME over any welding machine with Snap-On paint on it. This isn't even a contest.

I have a PowCon 300SM. PowCons may not be made anymore, but they were top-of-the-line industrial machines in their day and most of them are still welding happily, like mine.

IIRC, Hefty feeders were made under the old pre-ITW Hobart regime, which means they, too, were top-of-the-line industrial machines, not the (still very good) hobbiest machines that Hobarts are now (under Miller's shadow).

Snap-On would NEVER be considered a name-brand welding machine, and is nothing more than a severely overpriced generic with a paint job and a decal.

Comment

Actually I think the Powcons are now Arcon. Take a look, I have never priced them but it might be woth it to. I know ITW bought them out, but they must have either sold them, or the patent expired.

http://www.arconweld.com/

Comment

That was an ineteresting read, especially their FAQ and the bit about Constant Power welding instead of of CC or CV. I certainly see a resemblance to PowCon, and they make a lot of references to how this is a time-tested design, which is probably counting all the many PowCons in existance.

I know another company has the rights, parts, and service for the older PowCons, though: www.arc-products.com/powcon, so I wonder what the real deal is with Arcon. I thought the unit that was designed to be powered by high-voltage DC was pretty cool, able to tie in to a train's third rail.

Comment

amp for amp, the snap-on welders are probably the most expensive welders on the market. ive never heard anything good about them, even from the snap-on dealer himself!

im sure their high end welders are good.. its just that you could spend 1/3rd as much and get a miller/hobart/lincoln with more power and features.

Comment

I welded a Chevy Vortec V6 into a Geo Tracker at my buddies place of employment and he has a snap on mig welder. I didn't like it but it worked. I wouldn't trade my MM185 for 5 of his welders. The spoolgun looks awkward as heck to use, but it was durable...Bob
                  Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                  Metal Master Fab
                  Salem, Ohio
                  Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                  http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

I shot Arcon an e-mail for a quote on the MIG/stick unit just for giggles. I wonder how much an SM is refurbished from ARC Products?

Comment

ok first of all thats just dum to try and make urself look good by buying snap on and say u only buy good tools as for what it is i have no idea but thats just dum to think.
                      welding....its what i do

Comment

LOL, yea he is what he is, and he will likely be making payments to the guy in that truck until he retires.

Comment

Snap-On

Maybe Snap-On needs to change to Crap-On instead of calling Craftsman, Crapsman. My buddy has a boatload of Snap-On tools. He had a couple ratchets break and some other (I don't remember exactly what it was) pieces that needed repair or replacement. Snap-On dealer told him they were NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY. What the heh? I thought they had a lifetime replacement policy if any of their stuff broke. He is mad as hello about this and is telling everybody he can about how Snap-On screwed him over. He ever went one step further above the local truck dealer and they still told him no deal. They won't repair or replace because they are too OLD. Never had that at Sears when I've taken Craftsman (not Companion) hand tools in to be switched out. Dealers or stores don't really lose out on this switch out. They just send the tool to whoever has the contract to make the tools for them at the time. They melt them down in the pot and re-use the metal to re-cast another one.
                          Jim Don

Comment

I have seen some crappy snappy stuff, a 250 A feeder that comes with a 12 cord. Only guys I have ever seen really happy with the machines never used them. As for the hand tools, as good as any but there is no real reason to spend up for most of them when stuff 20% of the price will do
                            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                              Maybe Snap-On needs to change to Crap-On instead of calling Craftsman, Crapsman. My buddy has a boatload of Snap-On tools. He had a couple ratchets break and some other (I don't remember exactly what it was) pieces that needed repair or replacement. Snap-On dealer told him they were NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY. What the heh? I thought they had a lifetime replacement policy if any of their stuff broke. He is mad as hello about this and is telling everybody he can about how Snap-On screwed him over. He ever went one step further above the local truck dealer and they still told him no deal. They won't repair or replace because they are too OLD. Never had that at Sears when I've taken Craftsman (not Companion) hand tools in to be switched out. Dealers or stores don't really lose out on this switch out. They just send the tool to whoever has the contract to make the tools for them at the time. They melt them down in the pot and re-use the metal to re-cast another one.
                              Jim Don
                              This same thing happened to me: the Snap-On truck guy offered to buy my Craftsman and Stanley tools from me (about $500 worth) for $100. Then he wanted to sell me $500 worth of his tools for $450. In the end, I paid $150 for a 3/8" ratchet and 12 sockets to fit. Within a month, two of the sockets were broken (hairline cracks) and the gears were stripped on the ratchet. The Snap-On guy came back, I told him my problems, and he promised he'd be back with the replacements in a week. Kinda convenient since he had them on there to begin with. Anyway, he never showed up again, which ended up being a good thing 'cause my shop supervisor (Yamaha/SeaDoo Dealership) called the MAC tools guy, chucked his $2500 worth of Snap-On tools (this was before eBay, obviously), and bought all new MAC stuff. As for me, I ate the $150 and have stuck with Craftsman and Stanley ever since. Recently I bought about $200 worth of Kobalt sockets/ratchets so that I'd have a second set of tools----one at the farm and one in town at the shop----and have been very impressed with them so far.

I've known two people with Snap-On MIG welders....one guy said the only d*&$&^# thing the SO welder was good for was a boat anchor. The other guy had it sittin' in the corner of his shop cause it matched all his other SO memorabilia and he'd never used it in the 3 years he'd owned it. Hmm....more money than sense, huh?
                              HOBART Champion 10,000
                              HTP MIG 2400 c RSG250 Spool Gun
                              HTP Invertig 201 AC/DC - WANTED!!
                              Lincoln PrecisionTIG 185
                              Smith O/A Rig
                              Clark 1/2" Floor Drill Press
                              Clark 6" Bench Grinder
                              DeWalt 4.5" Grinder
                              DeWalt 4.5" Grinder #2
                              DeWalt 4.5" Grinder #3
                              B&D 18V 3/8" Drill
                              B&D 18V 3/8" Impact Driver

Now in order to kill the enemy, our men must be roused to anger; that there may be advantage from defeating the enemy, they must have their rewards. ~Sun Tzu in "The Art of War"

Comment

Working...
                              X