MIG wire..??...Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG wire..??...Which one?

Ok fellas...question for the "old timers"... . Since Im sure some of you guys have clipped off more wire from your MIG guns to control the stick-out...than I''ll ever actually USE....I have a few questions!

My future welding will all be "mild steel"..thickness will range ( normally) from thin sheets to "about" 1/4 inch. ( Maybe slightly thicker if and when I get an additional larger; welder. ) So..your recommendations on the "best" ( relative term) wire; brand, model...etc to use for the following would be GREATLY appreciated. Wire READILY available is also a big asset ( I dont need to wait on "them" to dig the iron ore out of the ground to make a batch..if you get my drift... ..) ALSO...I really dont have much "need" ( at this point) for anything that can ONLY be bought on those HUGE spools.

1) .023-.024 solid wire for use with 75/25 gas
    2) .030 FluxCore (presently using E71T-11 )
    3) .030 solid wire for use with 75/25 gas for if / when I get a larger MIG outfit

Input is greatly appreciated.

I use .030 S6 from ebay seller welders4less and have had great sucess with it, plus its cheap 33.50 for 2 10# rolls incl shipping and i get my tips from him also for .50 cents each and the ship free with the wire order...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

I also go through a good bit of S-6. My favorite S-6 at the moment is Lincoln SuperArc L-56 which is easy to get locally and reasonably priced.

Comment

Sully, for some strange reason, Hobart units seem to run Hobart HB-28 quite well. The HH 175 that I use to own and the HH 187 that I currently own booth performed or perform in the case of the 187 quite well with .023 HB-28. I was running an 8" roll of HB-28, that I recently picked up, on my HH 187 yesterday evening and it was performing quite well on the unit.

The last roll of L-56 that I tried ran like crap- spatter issues that i couldn't get rid of.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Sully, for some strange reason, Hobart units seem to run Hobart HB-28 quite well. The HH 175 that I use to own and the HH 187 that I currently own booth performed or perform in the case of the 187 quite well with .023 HB-28. I was running an 8" roll of HB-28, that I recently picked up, on my HH 187 yesterday evening and it was performing quite well on the unit.

The last roll of L-56 that I tried ran like crap- spatter issues that i couldn't get rid of.
          I'll check into that Dan...thanks. Sounds like it might be a good "all around" wire for me.

Comment

Is that it fellas? No more recommendations or personal preferences ??? Although I have ONLY the HH140 at this point..a much larger MIG outfit is "coming soon"....

Comment

Working...
            X