Just a comment on HBF wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a comment on HBF wire

I just bought some 10lb wire from Harbor frieght. It was the .035 flux core wire. Just a comment on this wire. I have been using other flux core in the 2lb range for about 5 months and never had a problem. This particular wire when I cranked my 110 volt little wire welder up to max (#4 for some heavier welding) in the setting that I had been using I would get porosity in my welds. It would work fine in the lower settings . I found out after much playing with it that I had to double my wire speed to stop the porosity. If anyone else has this trouble with this wire you might try increasing your wire speed way beyond what you might be used to. Anyway just thought it might help someone.
    Mark

HI MARK........ WHAT BRAND WAS HARBOR FREIGHT SELL. SOUNDS LIKE A POOR MIX ON THE FLUX TO ME........ROCK
    [email protected]

Comment

Here is another guess.

Flux core that has absorbed moisture into flux will weld poorly. Extending stickout heats the wire and make it weld better. Maybe drys it a little. I would try 3/4" to 1.5" stickout with the .035" wire and if it welds better, you found the problem.
      The reason to limit stickout is too much resistance and heat in wire. Thicker fluxcore wire used on big welders can extend stickout up to 2 3/4".

Comment

Hey guys,
        I don't have the reel of wire with me so it will be a couple more days before I can get back with a specific brand, but I think it was chicago electric???. I want to say that it is made in china. I have played a little with the stick-out, but not much more than maybe a slight bit more than my normal. I tend to think it is with the wire, because I have put 3 different 2lb reels of wire through the machine. I have tried 2 different .035 flux-core and one .030 flux core. 2 of the 3 reels were "Weld-it" brand, which I believe is hobart's brand sold through Tractor supply.I have never had any problems until I put this reel of wire in. I seem to have at least rectified the problem. I have to increase the wire speed considerably more than I have had to in the past. It seems to lay down a good bead. The only problem is I feel as if I am "rushed" to complete the weld. If that makes sense. There is so much metal being put down that I seem to be traveling very fast. The weld looks good and just by looking at it seems to have good penetration. I plan on keeping the wire,especially since I bought 2 of the spools. It was considerably cheaper than I could find a 10lb spool elsewhere. In some cases as much as 15-20 dollars cheaper. I do most of my welding at 1/2-3/4 max out put and it will probably not cause me any problems since I can use my NT250 for any heavy welding. I was simply putting this out to let people in on what I had found out. Another case of haveing to fine tune your equiptment.
        Mark

Comment

I glossed over Harbor Fright wire on first read.
          The wire you have is probably under size and not making good contact with contact tip. That is the reason for needing extra wire speed or volts to get good weld. Only way to tell if this is really your problem is by measuring diameter. I got some wire from them that was measured .022 but labeled .023.
          The store had cheap wire and dirt cheap wire. The problem wire was dirt cheap.

Comment

The brand Harbor FrT. carries is indeed CHICAGO ELECTRIC. I've used two 2lb. rolls of that stuff and I can tell you personally that - when compared to the HOBART E71T-GS wire - this stuff isn't worth it.

I got the exact problems that is posted above. Also, this stuff sputtered like crazy, leaving a ton of specks all over the workpiece. I spent so much time cleaning it up that, at first, I thought I needed to go w/ a gas shielded setup to get a better weld quality.

Then I replaced the CHICAGO ELEC. MIG with the HH175, which came with a 1lb roll of Hobart 0.030 T71T-GS wire. And so when I used the Hobart wire, the difference in weld quality was like night and Day! And I've used the 0.035 Hobart wire too.

The diference in price is not that large. I think my HF store charges like $11 for a 2# roll, and the Hobart distributor here charges $12.50.

Comment

E-Z...... JUST A THOUGHT HERE.......TRY DRYING THAT STUFF IN THE OVEN, VERY LIGHT DEGREES LESS THAN 200F............... SEE IF WE CAN CHASE THE MOISTURE OUT OF THAT STUFF....... PRICEING IS SOMETIMES IRRELEVENT............ IT'S LIKE FOOTBALL ON ANY GIVEN DAY THE WORST TEAM IN THE NATION CAN BEAT THE BEST TEAM IN THE NATION......... MAYBE IT GOT WET IN SHIPMENT OR MAYBE THE MIX WASN'T RIGHT,.......... IF IT'S MOISTURE YOU CAN TELL.................ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Hey, great tip.

I left the Chicago brand in the oven for 20 mins @ 190degF, then turned off the oven and let it sit another 10 mins.

Went out and used up the rest of the Hobart wire and then stuck in the Chicago Elec wire.

Immediately saw the poor weld characteristics w/ Chicago brand surface up. Mega-Godzilla sputter!!!

OK, so I'm about to go to my local PRAXAIR distributor and get some more 2lb rolls. I got to thinking: why shouldn't I go with the CO2 setup instead of the usual Gas-less wire type?

Will the CO2 setup reduce cleanup time or will I get just as much as - or more- spatter?

IS the CO2 more costly as an initial investment and then cheaper in the long run to operate?

Will I get more penetration using gas, or are the two systems basically the same in penetration?

I will be welding mostly 3/16" & 3/8" x 2" HRS bars to 5/8" rounds(CRS&HRS).

I haven't gotten around to surfing the old version dbase of this message board as of yet, so I apologize if I'm asking the same old q's.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Comment

E-Z.........CO 2 IS AS I RECALL THE LEAST EXPENSIVE GAS AVAILABLE........ ANYTIME YOU USE GAS IS GENERALLY SPEAKING GOING TO LESSEN YOUR CLEAN UP...............FLUX CORED WIRE WAS DESIGNED TO BE USED OUTSIDE IN A WINDY ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOUR GAS WOULD GET BLOWN AWAY........
                  ALSO GENERALLY SPEAKING ANYTIME YOU USE CO2 WILL INCREASE YOUR PENETRATION......................ROCK[email protected]

Comment

I have bought Weld-It wire at harbor freight, so at least so of their stores carry good wire. Selection was pretty limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                      I have bought Weld-It wire at harbor freight, so at least so of their stores carry good wire. Selection was pretty limited.
                      The roll of .030 E 70 S-6 that I used on the bending brake project was a roll of Weld-It wire that I got from Harbor freight too. The wire ran just a well as any roll of wire that I have picked up from my local Praxair. Matter of fact I need to go to HF this weekend spo I think I pick myself up a new roll of Weld-It .035 E70S-6 for my MM 210.
                      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Hi guys,
                        Since I started this thread, Here is a little more info. I did a good amount of welding with this wire yesterday (made a work table) I tried the same variable I had when I THOUGHT I fixed the problem. I then got porosity again. I backed off and had a greater degree of stick-out and that seemed to fix the problem I was having. I don't know whether it is moisture in the wire, flux problems or what,,,but it is OBVIOUSLY in the wire. As for the price, I got this ten pount spool for $29, you can see why it was appealing. It was humid outside that day, that MAY have contributed, but I don't think it would do THAT much to it, with all other things being equal. I do have an additional question, now that I HAVE to keep my stickout farther out, how much penetration am I truly going to loose? I do not do anything that is that critical (no life depending kinda welding going on here). Just want things to hold together and not have to re weld it all the time. Everything I have read has said that if you increase stick out you decrease your penetration. Any comments??

Comment

Working...
                        X