20 or 40 Cu. Gas Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 or 40 Cu. Gas Cylinder

I have a new 135 Mig and am new to welding. The welder will be used to build go-carts for the kids and hobby purposes. Can anyone recommend the propper size cylinder to purchase, and if so, can any recommendations for an online retailer be made.

Thanks in advance,

Darrel
    Last edited by Dsaper; 10-04-2002, 05:01 PM.

gas bottles

I did buy one from www.cyberweld.com over the internet. They sell them full or empty. I do think I would have actually saved some money going to the Praxair welding supply store about 20 miles from me. You may want to explore for a local source for refills in any event, before you mail order.

Bob

Comment

20 or 40 cu. gas cylinder

If you talk to your local gas supplier they probably want same to little difference to fill a 20 or 40 cu. gas cylinder. That is because handling and overhead is big part of fill price. It works out best to get biggest cylinder they consider customer owned and you can handle. When you buy your gas cylinder ask price for used cylinder not new because you will probably just trade for full cylinder. That works for you as they take care of hydrostatic test of cylinder and valve maintenance. Also when you want a different type of gas you trade cylinders and pay for the gas. Happens even with CO2 which uses different cylinder & valve than Argon mixes.

Save your receipt as proof of owning a cylinder. Makes for less problems when that gas co. goes under.

Comment

Re: 20 or 40 Cu. Gas Cylinder

Originally posted by Dsaper
        I have a new 135 Mig and am new to welding. The welder will be used to build go-carts for the kids and hobby purposes. Can anyone recommend the propper size cylinder to purchase, and if so, can any recommendations for an online retailer be made.

Thanks in advance,

Darrel
        I should think that an 80 size would be the best. They are almost the same price as a 20 or 40. There is little difference in price to fill small or large cylinders. I use an 80 with my 135 and it makes a good choice. I should think your local dealer would be the best choice for cylinders. Hope this helps.

Comment

Darrel,

I too have a 135 and use the 80cf size as well. When it comes to refilling the price in gas for the smaller sizes will not result in much of a savings. Example: a refill of my oxygen cylinder was $5 for a 20 and $6 for a 40.

Here is a picture of my 135 with the 80 just to give you an idea on how well the size is compatible.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...?s=&postid=113

Also, when I was making the decision of which size to go to, I asked for and received the option to trade-in my cylinder for a different size should I want to go up or down. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Brent

Comment

I went through the same thing when I bought a cylinder. I couldn't decide between a 20cf and a 40 cf. I wound up buying the 40 but now I am trying to trade up as it is to small to keep me going for very long. At the reccomended pressure of 20cf per hour you can weld for around 2 hours straight with a 40cf tank, at least that is what is supposed to happen. Seems mine runs out a little quicker that that. Your decision, I guess the biggest you can afford and handle is a good rule with welders and with cylinders.

Comment

This brings up a re-occuring point that I wish Hobart would just come out and state. I have the HH175, and the deluxe cart that it came with. If I ever run out of the flux core wire I bought, I want to try the gas welding. The cart manual states that the maximum weight of the gas cylinder should be 100 lbs. What size cylinder does that equate to? Couldn't you just say that the maximum recommended cylinder is 120 cubic feet? The lease and refill rates favor getting the biggest bottle possible. And as much as I've read this board since I bought my HH175, it seems bigger is better, and that leasing was better than buying a bottle.

What do ya think?

Don
              HH175

Comment

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
                This brings up a re-occuring point that I wish Hobart would just come out and state. I have the HH175, and the deluxe cart that it came with. If I ever run out of the flux core wire I bought, I want to try the gas welding. The cart manual states that the maximum weight of the gas cylinder should be 100 lbs. What size cylinder does that equate to? Couldn't you just say that the maximum recommended cylinder is 120 cubic feet? The lease and refill rates favor getting the biggest bottle possible. And as much as I've read this board since I bought my HH175, it seems bigger is better, and that leasing was better than buying a bottle.

What do ya think?

Don
                Don; I think your cart will handle a size 100 cylinder without any problem. If you go any bigger then you are talking 185 lbs and up.
                If you weld a lot then I would think the largest cylinder would be the way to go. In my area the largest size cylinder you can buy is an 80. Over that size you have to lease them. The price of the gas is about the same. It's the labor you are getting charged for.
                Last edited by TheOldOne; 10-06-2002, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I would talk to your local supplyer. I whanted to go with a 120 tank. Talked to my supplyer and was told that thats a hard size for them to keep instock. Said I might not be able to always get a full tank when I come in.

I ended up buying a 390 tank. Yea it was a bit costly I think I payed 185 for the tank full. But I bought it 02/12/01 and is still little over half full. My supplyer said he would ALWAYS have a full tank instock of that size.

SO to make a long story short talk to who your going to have fill your emptys. See what thay will have on hand most to all of the time. Saves some headakes in the long run.

Good Luck

OMS
                  OMS
                  HH175
                  Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
                  Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
                  Smith O/A X 2
                  Harris O/A
                  BridgePort
                  MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
                  And more!
                  Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin