200 amp hobart with 4 cylinder willys jeep motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 amp hobart with 4 cylinder willys jeep motor

I have come across a old hobart engine driven welder. just like a friend of mine has. the motor runs great but the welder part is having a problem. it started have trouble stabelizing the arc. the brushes have been pulled and cleaned. but I don't think both sets have. ( the ones on the back end) It know just shows a small arc when you try to strike an arc, and will not weld.

I was wondering what the problem might be and if it would be worth the money. I guess it just stopped welding in the middle of a weld. it is not real close to me so I haven't had a chance to look at it just talked with the guy on the phone. I like the older welders and i'm hoping to get one.
    thanks mark

Go look and take a pic of it. Post the pic here and tell us more about it.

Comment

pictures

these are the only pics that I have to go by. might be a while before I can actualy look at it.

Comment

200 amp hobart?

HELLO TO ALL,
        that is one rough looking machine. it may cost you more
        time, and money, to get it up, and running. unless it is
        free, i would pass on that one.
        good luck with your projects.
        wlbrown
        wright city, mo.

Comment

How long was it actually under water? Uncrichie.

Comment

my friend in colo. has one that looks as bad as this one and it runs like a top.
            he has never had to do any thing with it since he has had it. he's had his maybe 5 years or so.

Comment

I think it would be cool to restore that welder. People restore antique tractors and cars all the time.

Comment

were does one find parts for this critter??

Comment

Originally posted by bluecarpenter View Post
                  were does one find parts for this critter??
                  You hope all the parts are there and work, or can be made to work. You always can find a spare one to rob parts off of too.

Comment

We had one of those and it had a continental engine on it. It could be a brush not making contact probably the exciter brush. Some sandpaper while shes running and shine it up and see if shes welds. I would clean all of them while your at it. As for parts theres a thread on here about someone looking for parts for a older Hobart and he listed a name for a guy that had parts for some of them. One neat thing about those welders is that the fine adjustment reostat pulls out and if you had the remote it plugs in there.

Steve
                    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
                    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
                    HH 140.
                    Miller Big 40.
                    Lincoln SAE 200J.
                    Hobart GR-303.
                    Lincoln tombstone welder.

Comment

if ya need parts for the ol jewel i got a fellers name in Ohio that'll fix ya right up. i just got my old Hobart Bros diesel welder a new rheostat. Aside from my pipeliner, shes the best runnin slickest weldin machine ive seen. Theyre keepers if you can get it goin and find parts. holler if ya need his name and number.
                      sigpic
                      Miller 175
                      Lincoln SA-200
                      Hobart D-300
                      Sears Craftsman 200
                      Victor O/A
                      Harris O/A
                      too much other stuff to write home about

"Ya reckon that'll fit in the shop??" the man asked. I said, "I dont know but if it don't we can cut it in half and weld it back when we get it in there!!"

Comment

yes could you please give me the name and number for that guy in ohio. I sent ya a PM by the way. thanks mark

Comment

sure thing..............

C&M Welding Celina, OH

419-584-0008

ask for Chuck

btw, whats the price on that sa200 in PA??
                          sigpic
                          Miller 175
                          Lincoln SA-200
                          Hobart D-300
                          Sears Craftsman 200
                          Victor O/A
                          Harris O/A
                          too much other stuff to write home about

"Ya reckon that'll fit in the shop??" the man asked. I said, "I dont know but if it don't we can cut it in half and weld it back when we get it in there!!"

Comment

the SA 200 in penn. is 200 bucks. it is an auction and could go higher. just not sure. I almost like that lincoln better even it it is farther due to the fact that parts are more readily available. decissions,decissions. mark

Comment

also to make it more confusing I have found an SAE 300 amp lincoln welder.
                              1955 model. it has a little v-6 motor on it. Belt driven. it origanily came with an ac motor to drive it. but thru the years they converted it to gas motor. motor is in real good shape. wires to controls on welder are bare but other than that in good shape. can be had for 300 bucks. and a heck of a lot closer than Penn. it is just a bit bulkyer than I was looking for but it does come with its own trailer.
                              ANY suggestions? mark

Comment

Working...
                              X