Another handy shop tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another handy shop tool

Everyone at work borrows these all the time. They are called transfer punches. What they are used for is transfering the exact location of a hole from on part to another. If you look at the picture you will notice that each punch has a pointed end on it . This point is in the exact center of the round punch. What you do is find the punch that best fits into the hole that your wanting to transfer the location of to another part. Clamp the two parts together. Then insert the pointed end of the punch into the hole . Then lightly tap the opposite end of the punch with a hammer. Now you have successful and quite easily transfered the location of your hole. These only work for material an 1/8" and thicker.

I got these from my local Harbor freight store for under $10. They are quite durable. The guys at work and I have been using them on stainless steel for at least 6 years. Not bad for a cheap Harbor freight tool.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:14 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Like that idea

I will check out my local HF to see if I can pick up a set. I never checked into them before, thought they might be pricey.

Keep coming with those useful tools.

Nelson

Comment

Transfer punches at cheap prices

If you want to get a set of these transfer punches, you can get them fairly cheap from Harbor Freight Tools @harborfreight.com .
      They are probably just cheap imports, but there really isn't too much to make poorly on these puches. They sell 28 piece sets (3/32 - 1/2")for $8.99 and 60 piece gauge sets (#1-60) for $11.99. They also sell larger set (1/2 -1") for $29.99.

They make many jobs much easier.

Comment

Re: Like that idea

Originally posted by Nelson Hendrix
        I will check out my local HF to see if I can pick up a set. I never checked into them before, thought they might be pricey.

Keep coming with those useful tools.

Nelson
        I have found it pays off to check their website and print out your item...many times it will be cheaper than the store price, and they will honor it.

Comment

transfer punches

Just a reminder that they are used as transfer punches and not center punches. You strike them just hard enough to get a mark. Then you use a regular center punch to get the proper mark to align your drill or centerdrill.

Also if you don't have the right size transfer punch you can take a smaller one and wrap some masking tape around till it fits the hole properly. The punches from HF don't work very well on sheet metal because they have too large of a point and the punch body stands away from the piece.

In a pinch you can take a drill that fits the hole and lightly tap the drill three times, rotating the drill about 60 deg. between hits.
          bitternut

Comment

Working...
          X