X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&H Welders ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=003

Here's another one .....

P&H ----Harnischfagger >>>>>the original , not the two mega corporate buy-out Jokes that are here now , used to be HUGE here in Milwaukee-land ....

I graduated in ' 74' and I remember milwaukee freinds getting tested for welding aprenticeships !

Not long ago they built one of those huge arogant Glass/House corporate centers on the cliff looking out over Lake Michigan ....

DEAD in two years , the Glass/House thing became known as the Mistake by the Lake ...

I have never known anyone around here that knew of them manufacturing welding machines .....and yet we don;t have any evidence of Linde mahing the units for them either ....

If anyone knows the facts , there are alot of historically minded enthusiasts around here assembling as much as they can find on P&H , Allis-Challmers etc.
    and other gohsts of our past

Thanks
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Here is a little P&H welder history, about 3/4th of the way down the page....Bob
    http://www.phmining.com/faq/index.html
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Vicegrip, P&h started there own welder manufactoring because they were not satisfied with the welding machines that were availiable at the time. I have alarge old time P&H catalog that gives a brief history of the co.

Comment

OT comments

Vicegrip, I just had to inject a couple of OT comments that are unrelated to your reminiscing about P&H Welders. This particular welder that you linked to on eBay is the sorriest looking welder I've ever seen! Now the seller includes in his description the statement:

"This machine Runs extremely well, and welds just as nicely. this machine was owned by a local farmer who put very few hours on it, and always stored it inside."

In actuality the photos show a welder that looks like it sat on the bottom of Lake Michigan for about 2 to 3 years before someone resurrected it! Either that or the local farmer's "inside" storage was a room with a hole-ridden roof. Someone would be crazy to bid on this welder. The insides are so rusty that it might fall apart during shipment across the country.
        LarryL

Comment

Originally posted by lars66 View Post
          Vicegrip, P&h started there own welder manufactoring because they were not satisfied with the welding machines that were availiable at the time. I have alarge old time P&H catalog that gives a brief history of the co.

Thanks I am modestly curious , However the history/shop croud around here would love You !!.....if you ever net-skaped it !! Lotta work though !!
          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by LarryL View Post
            "This machine Runs extremely well, and welds just as nicely. this machine was owned by a local farmer who put very few hours on it, and always stored it inside."
            Now, Larry, in all fairness, it never said he stored inside of a building... He might have stored it inside of a manure pile!
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I agree

Vicegrip, I just had to inject a couple of OT comments that are unrelated to your reminiscing about P&H Welders. This particular welder that you linked to on eBay is the sorriest looking welder I've ever seen! Now the seller includes in his description the statement:

In actuality the photos show a welder that looks like it sat on the bottom of Lake Michigan for about 2 to 3 years before someone resurrected it! Either that or the local farmer's "inside" storage was a room with a hole-ridden roof. Someone would be crazy to bid on this welder. The insides are so rusty that it might fall apart during shipment across the country.
              LarryL
              I agreewith you ..it looks pretty bad..I checked the shipping to my area..it was $1088.00
              Seems kinda high to me.
              Farris
              Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
              MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
              Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
              AC/DC 250 NAP
              AC 250 Lincoln
              151 MIG CE
              Arrow bandsaw
              HM shop press
              Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

Originally posted by fyoung View Post
                I agreewith you ..it looks pretty bad..I checked the shipping to my area..it was $1088.00
                Seems kinda high to me.
                Farris
                I checked the cost for shipping this welder from Ephrata, PA to Reading, PA, a distance of approximately 20 miles. The shipping cost was $562! Why would anyone pay that amount to get a pallet of rust delivered?

Zrexxer, your suggestion does make some sense. Think about it, if you as a farmer wanted to hide a very valuable welding machine, you could not think of a better hiding place than under a pile of manure. No thief would think about looking for it there. This farmer, unfortunately, seems to have forgotten about it and perhaps the welder may have stewed in the juices of the pile for several years.

LarryL

Comment

Wow!

I checked the cost for shipping this welder from Ephrata, PA to Reading, PA, a distance of approximately 20 miles. The shipping cost was $562! Why would anyone pay that amount to get a pallet of rust delivered?

LarryL
                  The guy selling it must be adding some extra on to the shipping hoping no one will check it till they buy it..you never know.
                  Farris
                  Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
                  MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
                  Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
                  AC/DC 250 NAP
                  AC 250 Lincoln
                  151 MIG CE
                  Arrow bandsaw
                  HM shop press
                  Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

That is 50 miles from my house. IF, big IF, I got that, I could just throw it in the truck and haul it home. It is a rather "crusty" lookin piece, tho.

Comment

I just posted this because of P&H couriousity ......speaking of which .......is this thing about 9 feet tall ....looks like there's a floor saw (band-saw) dwarfed just off to the lower right
                      sigpicViceGrip

Comment

If it's anything like some of the old gas powered welders we have around here, it's probably about 4 feet tall. Seems to me, the PipeLiner series were a pretty good size unit, too. Even with the Cont. 4 banger. I know those Chrysler ind. engines are pretty good sized.

Comment

Working...
                        X