Advice sought please read inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice sought please read inside

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting either a 185 welder or a 200 amp welder. Both are in my price range and the 185 is a little cheaper. I keep hearing in the back of my mind to get the 200 amp welder cause you never know when your gonna need the extra amps. The thickest material I currently weld is 1/8, I'm just wondering if the extra cost is worth the benefit. thanks for any input!

Matthew

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
    Hello all, I'm thinking of getting either a 185 welder or a 200 amp welder. Both are in my price range and the 185 is a little cheaper. I keep hearing in the back of my mind to get the 200 amp welder cause you never know when your gonna need the extra amps. The thickest material I currently weld is 1/8, I'm just wondering if the extra cost is worth the benefit. thanks for any input!

Matthew
    Dont take this as gospel.because Im so new to MIG welding..I dont even have my new rig plugged in yet!!!

I constantly was back and forth "for my own usage" a Hobart 140 and their 180 Mig setups. The main differnces being ( of course one runs on 115 VAC the other 230 VAC) is the "duty cycle". The 180 model CAN weld 5/16th stock..where the 140 is "limited" to 1/4" stock...but the same material and same amperages with the 180 allow a MUCH GREAT duty cycle. ( Which wont be a limiting factor in MY case)

Download and closely compare the specs of the 2 brands / models you are concerned about..and CLOSLY COMPARE...there MAY NOT be "jack doodlie" amount of difference between them.

Comment

I bought a MM185 for my company even though a small mig would have worked fine because you never know, glad i did and sometimes i wish i would have went bigger or better (XMT304) than i could have it all in one. I would shoot for a 210 if you can swing it...Bob
      Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
      Metal Master Fab
      Salem, Ohio
      Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
      http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Forgot to mention, I'm looking at TIG welders.

Comment

TA185 vs DYN200 ? While I have never run the TA, it is a very capable machine and there are plenty of satisfied owners on here that will attest to it's abilities. I wnen the Dynasty route and am very pleased with my chioce. If cost were an issue, I think the TA may be the best bang for the buck (although they just had a price increase and the difference may not be as great as it was). But 15 amps is 15 amps and I subscribe to the more is better theory. I don't think that you will be disapointed with either machine. It's a tough choice.
          Mac
          Hypertherm 380
          Can't have enough tools

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post

Matthew
            Well I just recently purchased an ArcMaster 185 or commenly referred to as an TA185 I know they make a 200amp ver also! The only reason I went with the 185 vs the 200 was the duty cycle! 185 had a much better duty cycle and the rest is history! I love this machine and I had been looking at the miller dynasty series machines but would have had to spend more money to get what I got! So with that said I'm very happy with the ArcMaster and have done both AC/DC and couldn't have asked for more! If you would like more info just email me!

Mike
            Hobart Handler 187 MIG
            ArcMaster-185 AC/DC
            Purox O/A
            DeWalt 4.5" Grinder 10amp
            DeWalt 14" HD Chop Saw 15amp
            Ornamental Pro 2004 Software

Comment

Working...
            X