HH 175 frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH 175 frustration

Wouldn t you know it when I went to use my HH 175 today to start welding on the metal bending brake project I pulled the trigger on the gun and the wire didn t feed. I tried all voltage ranges and still the same results. So I went and got my multi- meter. I had voltage at the spade connections to the gun switch inside the wire compartment. So I disconnected these wires and ohmed them out through the switch. When I pulled the trigger on the gun my meter showed an open circuit. So I pulled the gun apart , removed the wires from the switch and ohmed out the switch. When I pressed the switch in my meter showed a closed circuit through the contacts of the switch. So I ohmed out the wires from the gun to the machine, and both of them were open. Which seemed quite strange. Anyway, after this I removed the rubber boot from the gun cable where it enters the wire compartment, and to my suprise, I discovered another place were the wires are spliced together with connectors. And both of these connections were disconnected. The little beast is working again now. Cost me time on the project though so I didn t get as far along on it as I had wanted to.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

HI DAN...........WAS SUSPRISED TO HEAR OF THE LOOSE CONNECTIONS EXPECIALLY BOTH.......... I WOULD KINDA LIKE A LITTLE INFO FOR MYSELF HERE.......1) WAS THIS A NEW UNIT, 2) IS IT ON A CART IF NOT NEW, 3) WAS IT A NEW GUN, 4) AND PLEASE DON'T GET INSULTED BY THIS QUESTION ,....IF IT IS ON A CART DO YOU EVER MOVE IT AROUND BY PULLING ON THE GUN..... I THINK YOU CAN SEE WHERE I'M HEADED WITH THIS QUESTION..... THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE ........ROCK
    [email protected] , ....... I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT YOUR POSTS...................!

Comment

Connections

Thanks for the info about the extra set of connections in the gun. Hopefully I'll remember that if my wires/switch ever go bad.
      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
        HI DAN...........WAS SUSPRISED TO HEAR OF THE LOOSE CONNECTIONS EXPECIALLY BOTH.......... I WOULD KINDA LIKE A LITTLE INFO FOR MYSELF HERE.......1) WAS THIS A NEW UNIT, 2) IS IT ON A CART IF NOT NEW, 3) WAS IT A NEW GUN, 4) AND PLEASE DON'T GET INSULTED BY THIS QUESTION ,....IF IT IS ON A CART DO YOU EVER MOVE IT AROUND BY PULLING ON THE GUN..... I THINK YOU CAN SEE WHERE I'M HEADED WITH THIS QUESTION..... THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE ........ROCK
        [email protected] , ....... I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT YOUR POSTS...................!
        Rock

The machine isn' t a new machine. According to my records (receipt) I bought it from my local welding supply store on 7-19-01. Also, the machine isn' t on a cart. It sits on the end of one of my work benches. I don t use it that often, most of the time I use my MM 210. The HH 175 was mainly purchased because of how compact it is, which allows me to get to places that I cannot with my larger machine. For example, I had to do some repair work up high on one of my Dad's combines last spring. Couldn t reach it with my MM 210 , but it was no problem for myHH 175. I just set the machine right up in the area were I was working.

I would never pull the machine around by the gun cable.

I still don t understand how these connections came apart, especially since there is a very tight zip tie holding the wires so that they cannot move. Anyway, Im just glad that I got the small problem found and fixed. I m still going to recommend this machine to others.. The only way I would ever part with it would be if it meant I was getting a MM 175 in exchange for it.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

DAN....... I AGREE THEY SHOULD OF NEVER COME APART...... HOW ABOUT THIS LET'S MAKE SURE THEY DON'T COME APART AGAIN. IF I TAKE THE ZIP TIE OFF, MOVE THE 2 LEADS INTO A "S" CURVE, THEN INSTALL ANOTHER ZIP TIE ACROSS BOTH ENDS AND THE MIDDLE.............. FIGUREING THE LENGHTS NEEDED FOR THIS CAN COME FROM THE SPADE CONNECTOR ENDS PULLED BACK UP INTO THE GUN...............THIS WOULD DOUBLE THE THE HOLDING CAPACITY OF THE LEADS NOT ONLY IN THE MIDDLE BUT ON EACH END........... KIND OF A CONVOLUTED THOUGHT BUT I THINK IT WILL WORK...........ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE IT APART AGAIN TO ENSURE NON FAILURE OR DO YOU JUST WANT TO LEAVE IT ALONE.......THIS IS YOUR CALL DAN.......... THANKS.......ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

DAN ONE MORE THING.......... SORRY CAN'T SEND YOU A MM175 IN EXCHANGE.......NICE IDEA THOUGH ON YOUR PART...... I'M GRINNING HERE...........$$$$$$$$ AMOUNTS IS SIGNIFICANT SO IT WOULDN'T BE A FAIR EXCHANGE FOR US.............. ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
              DAN ONE MORE THING.......... SORRY CAN'T SEND YOU A MM175 IN EXCHANGE.......NICE IDEA THOUGH ON YOUR PART...... I'M GRINNING HERE...........$$$$$$$$ AMOUNTS IS SIGNIFICANT SO IT WOULDN'T BE A FAIR EXCHANGE FOR US.............. ROCK
              [email protected]
              Rock
              Im sorry if my statement made it sound like I was suggesting a trade. I am very pleased with the performance of this machine. I work industrial maintenance and am quite use to loosing an electrical connection once in a while. I wish they were as easy to find as this was. Some of our older equipment has up to 50+ relays that are connected together one way or another. Most of the new equipment though eliminates most of these relays by using a computer system, which creates another set of problems.

Anyway, the statement about the exchange was based on the fact that my wife will not let me purchase another welder without using one of my current machines as a trade in toward the price of another. Somehow, though I ve got to come up with a plan to get the

MM 251 that I want. The MM 210 is a sweet machine, but I would like to have a machine that will get me into spray transfer mode too. Im not parting with the 210 got it with the free spool gun for MIG welding the thicker aluminum that my Econotig won t handle.

So you know, I didn t post the original post in this thread because I was upset with the product. I posted it to help others who might come across the same problem and also that you guys and gals at Miller/Hobart would know that these connection might come a part from normal use. Im assuming though that the full engagement of these connections was accidentally missed during assembly and just finally lost the connection that they did have, because as tight as the zip tie was there was no way (with normal usage) to get the connection apart, if it was fully engaged without removing the zip tie first.

PM 180C

Comment

HI DAN.......THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY.......... NO PROBLEM I LIKE THE RESPONSE, I PROBABLY JUST READ IT WRONG....... ROCK
                [email protected]

Comment

Darned I was hoping we were going to be able to trade in our old welders on some new ones. I would diffinately like to trade in my old 135 Century for a new HH175. I asked a near by welding supply store if they ever excepted used welders as a trade in on a new one they said no. They suggested selling the old one out -right and then buying what I wanted then. It would be nice to find a place interested in trading good used in on new. I am sure there is a lot of people out there that would love to trade up to either a bigger machine or a better name brand such as Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln.

Comment

HI GNEWBY.........A FAIRLY LARGE AMOUNT OF WELDING DISTRIBUTORS DO TAKE TRADE IN'S. LOTS CALL FOR INFO ON THEM AGE, COST WHEN NEW, ESTIMATED WORTH, ETC...... DO THE SEARCH ON THIS WEB SITE AND FIND 2-9 DISTRIBUTORS THAT ARE CLOSE, IT LISTS PHONE NUMBERS GIVE THEM A CALL SEE WHAT THEY WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU.................BE SAFE.... ROCK............. [email protected]

Comment

Rock, Thanks for the information I will give that a try. There is several distributors within 50-80 miles from here. When I first purchased the 135 machine I thought between it and my old stick machine I would be pretty well set up. Problem is I have gotten so I would rather Mig than stick weld, but I find myself having to drag out the stick machine more often than I would like because the mig I have is just to small. I am sure you have heard the same story hundreds of times. I wish I had found this site before I purchased the mig welder with all the advise I have heard on getting the 175 over the 135 machines.

Comment

I think going from HH135 to HH175 is setting up future purchace of 250amp MIG welder. Even if you have 250amp MIG welder having HH135 for thin metal or using fluxcore for portability is still real handy.

Comment

Originally posted by gnewby
                          Darned I was hoping we were going to be able to trade in our old welders on some new ones......It would be nice to find a place interested in trading good used in on new. I am sure there is a lot of people out there that would love to trade up to either a bigger machine or a better name brand such as Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln.
                          Good Morning:

I'm a newbie here. I discovered this message board in my quest to locate Hobart welding wire locally for my new HH175. And thanks to this website, I found what I was looking for!

I just wanted to post my experience with "trading up".

I found myself wanting to put a weld on a product that I've had a mechanical fastener designed into it from the beginning. I figured this would take some of the cost out of the product. So I went to my local Harbor Freight store and picked up an el cheapo stick welder for under $100. Immediately, I brought it back because as probably every seasoned welder knows, there's a HUGE learning curve involved with stick welding.

The store asst mgr suggested I move up to a MIG 90w, 120V. Same brand as the first...made in China (but you'd never know it from the brand name). Loved the way I could lay a bead on it. I was welding 3/4" square tubing onto 7/8" solid square. This worked OK for the most part.

Then, almost three months later, I went to weld 5/8 hot roll & cold roll rounds onto the 7/8" solid square bar. Not enuff heat, so I found out.

I decided to take it back to Harbor Freight and see about "upgrading" again. I knew I wanted the big(gest) for my garage. Fortunately, they stocked the HH135 & HH175 and took back my old one and applied the full amount towards a new HH175, and even knocked off $75 off their already low price. (I'm a really, really good repeat customer).

In my situation, my local store offered me value and convenience and savings that I think would be really hard to get through an internet purchase.

Comment

Harbor Freight is a great store to shop in and the sales personel are great to work with. I have been to all the stores on the west coast doing training to the sale's personel. A great bunch of people to work with. I am glad to hear they upgraded your welder and you got rid of that China unit. Go USA
                            Dave Evans

Comment

HI E-Z........ I WAS GOING TO LET THIS SLIDE BUT DECIDED IT WAS SUCH A GOOD STORY I WOULD SHARE IT WITH YOU..... SOME OF THE RETAIL PEOPLE (MOST) WHEN WE GET SOMETHING BACK FROM THE END USER SIMPLY TAG IT AS DEFECTIVE AND RETURN IT TO US.......... BELIEVE ME THAT IS ALL WE EVER SEE, IS THE DEFECTIVE TAG ON THE UNIT.......... 90% OF THE STUFF THAT COMES BACK IS WITH NO PROBLEM FOUND. IN OTHER WORDS FORM, FIT, FUNCTION, WE CAN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH THEM,............... ONE SANERIO WE ALWAYS TALKED ABOUT WAS YOUR SITUATION, AND THE OTHER WAS.......... THE CUSTOMER GOT THE JOB DONE AND TOOK THE MACHINE BACK OR DIDN'T LIKE THE PERFORMANCE........ YOU KNOW LIKE WELDING UP 1/4 INCH WITH THE 135 SERIES AND NOT GETTING GOOD PENETRATION.......... JUST DIFFERENT SANERIO'S.............. FROM THEIR STAND POINT I WOULD SAY YOU ARE A GOOD REPEAT CUSTOMER....... AND THEY ARE BENDING OVER BACK FOR YOUR BUSINESS............HAVE SOME FUN, BE SAFE,...............ROCK
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X