Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor won't turn off

Hi,

I have a cheap Campell air compressor but the regulator mechanism (I think) is broken. It won't turn off once I plugged in (doesn't matter what pressure). The only way to turn it off is to unplug it. Back in its glory days, I can set the pressure and it would turn off at that pressure...Will this little gadget bring me happiness? Thx.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=45009

No that won't help you need to find out why its not shuting off. If my compressor was doing that I would start by dismantling the pressure switch and cleaning out the diaphram and the tube leading back to the tank to make sure its not blocked. If you need help post a picture of your compressor.
    Doug Arthurs
    Kent Bridge Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by IRON TO ART
      No that won't help you need to find out why its not shuting off. If my compressor was doing that I would start by dismantling the pressure switch and cleaning out the diaphram and the tube leading back to the tank to make sure its not blocked. If you need help post a picture of your compressor.
      I'll bring it into the OR today when I get home. I'll snap a few pics of the surgery. Thx.

Comment

Random, the diaphrams in that HF setup are crap. You'll be better off spending a little more money on a better regulator.

Comment

Why not just plug it in to an inexpensive surge strip and use that as your switch?

Comment

Better to have an automatic cutoff switch. Man that would be fun. Work, stop, turn on air compressor, wait, turn off air compressor, work, stop, turn on air compressor...

Dave
            Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
            http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
            http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
            MM180
            SP125+

Comment

did you try beating on it with a stick?

Comment

Why not just plug it in to an inexpensive surge strip and use that as your switch?

Better to have an automatic cutoff switch. Man that would be fun. Work, stop, turn on air compressor, wait, turn off air compressor, work, stop, turn on air compressor...
                Whatego, come on man, the answer is to just trip the breaker to shut it down, it's already there, nothin' to buy.
                (haw)

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkinhead
                  Whatego, come on man, the answer is to just trip the breaker to shut it down, it's already there, nothin' to buy.
                  (haw)
                  Then I'd have to get up off my lazy butt and reset the breaker.

That's kinda like manual labor, which is why I buy tools, to cut down on the hard work.

Dave

MM180
                  SP125+

Comment

You need a properly operating pressure switch that will turn the motor on when the pressure drops to a set level and then shut it off at the proper level. Don't forget to check the unloader so the motor is not starting against head pressure. Also check the safety pressure release valve just in case the motor does not shut off.
                    What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike W
                      You need a properly operating pressure switch that will turn the motor on when the pressure drops to a set level and then shut it off at the proper level. Don't forget to check the unloader so the motor is not starting against head pressure. Also check the safety pressure release valve just in case the motor does not shut off.
                      Okay, there's the answer. Just put in a good safety pressure release valve and when the pressure builds it will open and let air out, then after the pressure gets close to zero, it will close and pressure will build again, etc. Then you can just let the compressor run constantly.

MM180
                      SP125+

Comment

My Husky (which is a CH) did the same thing. I took the cover off the pressureswitch, and, as I recall, there were two spring loaded set screws. I began playing with them until it shut off,then adjusted to where it shut off at 125 psi (was factory set for 135psi originally). Has worked fine for two years since.
                        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike W
                          how do i check the unloader and safety pressure release valve to make sure if it is working or not? Thx.

Comment

The safety release should have a small ring that you can pull and it will release air out of some holes on the side. They are preset to release pressure at a certain psi. There should be a stamp on it. Some unloaders are part of the pressure switch. When the switch cuts off the motor, a valve will dump air from a check valve between the compresssor and the tank. This allows the motor to start up with no load on it. You usually hear the air escaping for a few seconds when the motor stops. Mine has a 1/4" line from the check valve to the pressure regulator valve.
                            What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Go to Grainger. Tell counter dude you need a "Electric compressor shut-off switch with unloader"

Drop 20 bucks on counter. Go home. Little line goes to little line, big fitting goes to tank, wires go the same as old switch.

Smile when compressor shuts off @125, and on @ 90.

Left unchecked, you'll hear the blowoff valve scream, then if unlucky, hear a big BOOM.

Comment

Working...
                              X