New Guy/New Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy/New Shop

Hi guys, I just found this forum the other day and just in time, I have my new shop up and the floor goes in monday, after that we install the electric and the lights and then i get down to setting up my Fab shop. My first job for my Millermatic 130XP will be to make work benches and a welding/cutting bench. My first purchase is going to be a Plasma cutter, after reading some of the post on this site, I have narrowed it down to the Hypertherm600 or the TD cutmaster50. This is a great site and very informitive, I posted a pic of my new digs!.

Wrong pic

That was the wrong pic,this is the right one

Comment

Wrong pic

Computors man, sometimes i just cant figure them out, im gonna try one more time.............

Comment

Welcome aboard. Nice looking shop. Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

Shop plans

Thanks cope, Heres my rough shop layout plans, I want to continue my street rod projects and also want to start a new chopper project in the future. So im trying to set up shop to accomodate those things, do you see anything you think i might be forgettin?

Comment

bigger pic of plan

Comment

Welcome PappaJ!

Nice shop plans... I am jealous...

The only inconsistency I see is the welder vs the plasma cutter. The welder is good for up to 3/16" steel but the plasma cutters you mentioned are good for 1/2" or more.

Have Fun!
              Bill C
              "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

That is a nice layout,and shop.Since you are in PA.,I was wondering where your shop heater was hiding?

Comment

Heaters

Good point, I am thinking about using those propane units that u mount on the walls, I would like to install a natural gas heater but the money situation says no. Any suggestions? Also i will be upgrading my mig, but that will have to wait until the shop is completed, Since i am going to purchase a plasma soon i figured i better get the biggest one i can afford now so i dont run into the same problem i have now with the mig.

Comment

Make sure the propane is vented,and your shop has a vapor barrier.Unless you like rain indoors. You should keep that little xp you got,because those are very nice with .023 wire.I like those way better than the new 135.I had two of those,a standard,and the xp model.The xp being much better.

Comment

Scott, when you say vapor barrier do you mean something that goes over the insulation on the inside walls?

Comment

If you have finished walls you are ok.I thought maybe the inside was unfinished.You still will want to vent the propane because of all the extra hummidy.I like dry heat in a shop,much better on the tools.

Comment

OK, Thanks for the info scott

Comment

Re: Heaters

Originally posted by PappaJ
                            Good point, I am thinking about using those propane units that u mount on the walls, I would like to install a natural gas heater but the money situation says no. Any suggestions? Also i will be upgrading my mig, but that will have to wait until the shop is completed, Since i am going to purchase a plasma soon i figured i better get the biggest one i can afford now so i dont run into the same problem i have now with the mig.
                            PappaJ: Also building a new shop to. Been thinking about overhead radiant heat. Just waiting for my heating guy for a price. It'll be a 30/40 shop with a 30ft radiant tube. There's no hot air blowing around and know expossed flames. Out side intake & exhaust. Buddy of mine has a 40/40ft shop with two 30ft and says he only needs one going for good heat. Coldest month this year in Mich. he tells me only cost him just under $100. Might be something to think about. Real interested in what you come up with since I'am just starting my building. Thanks Stu-169

Comment

Heater

Stu,
                              Does that tube use propane or natural gas? I was looking at the radiant propane units that mount on the walls, They are availible at Northern Tool. I would be interested to see the tube your talking about, where did ya find it? cost?

Comment

Working...
                              X