Scott V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott V

Yesterday, at work my assignment was to fab a guard rail to help protect a storage rack that forklift drivers keep hitting one of the uprights on. The material for the rail was 3" x 3" X .250 sq tube, and the material for the foot to mount it to the floor was 1/2" X 4". So, I planned on using the old MM 250 and spray arc this together. Notice I stated planned. Now, I built several of these guards already so I knew the were I liked the machine set. So, I cut myself a few scrap pieces to warm up on. However, when I tried to weld all I got was a nasty globular transfer for a good 2 seconds and then a very poor spray transfer. Turning the voltage up quite a bit still produced a globular transfer for a good two seconds then it would start to spray. The only problem now was as I was welding along the arc length kept getting longer. So, I had to keep increasing my stickout so that the wire wouldn t burn back into the contact tip. Anyway, I had my helper take some voltage readings for me. First off we measured the supply voltage. It was a solid 238 volts, which is what it normally reads. Then we took some open circuit voltage readings on the machine. The meter (Fluke 87) showed a reading two volts lower then what the dial was set at on the machine. Eveytime we' ve tested this in the past there was only about a 1/4 volt difference between the two of these. So, after this, we took some load voltage readings. For the first two seconds it was 25.8 volts. Then it would rise to 27.2 volts, and as I continued to weld it would increase up to 28.5 volts. By the way, I was running around 440 IPM on the wire speed, with an .035 wire and 98/2. Now the funny thing is that the machine was just returned from supposedly being looked at. Yeah right! This seems to be par for the course from the welding supplier that the machine was taken too. By no means was it my chose to take it to them. One guy on the morning shift who thinks he can weld took it to this place, because one of the salesman is going to let him use one of there rental MM 251 for free to finish the bumper on his pick up. Boy is he going to be upset on Wednsday when he hears from the boss that the welder is going else were to be repaired for real.

Well, since the boss wanted this rail off the "TO DO LIST" on Sunday, and no one life depends on this rail, I decided to give the MM 185 a try instead. Trying to weld with the MM 250 was just to stressful. Anyway, I ran some test welds. Then we did some destructive testing on them. The weld held on the 1/2" plate and a chunk of the wall of the tube pulled out. All the fillets had penetration to the root. So, I went ahead and welded the rail up with the MM 185. Now to be honest with you this was the first time that I was actually a little disappointed with the results that I was achieving with the MM 185. I had to use voltage Tap #5 and couldn t get rid of the spatter. The load voltage was about a volt higher then I would have liked it to be. The meter read 20.4. I would have liked closer to 19 or 19.5. I tried tap #4, but at the wire speed setting I was using the load voltage was about 18 volts. This made the arc gap way to tight, and I would have been giving up some penetration. I can tell you from experience that at the wire speed setting (340 IPM) that I was using my MM 210 or the MM 251 would produce spatter free welds. So, this is strike one for the MM 185. No matter what though I still like it for short arcing .120 wall SS sq tube. As long as it does this good I ll be happy with for my work usage.

Anyway, here is a picture of a test weld so you can see the spatter problem. It is a multipass fillet. This is how I attached the legs to the 1/2" plate.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Lets see if this picture turns out clearer
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Dan,I just had a very long replie to your post,and it got messed up.So here is the short version.Your work needs to ditch that 250,and buy a 251 or something similar.It does not make any sense to not have a decent wirefeed around.My hobby shop has better welders then your work,and it seems yours does also(210). also.

I was wondering how the 185 would weld with .035,because I have never used it with it.I have only used .023/.30 with it,and it was very nice welder with those,once the gun liner setup was fixed.

Comment

Thats cool that you have a job that allows you to **** off like that over welding a guard up. hahaha I would lose my patience in a hurry with guys standing around with a magnifying glass looking for splatter on something a maniac was gonna run over anyway.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I am pretty sure Dan is the one with the magnifying glass around there.

Comment

Ya,, that wasnt mean to be mean or anything,,, just foolin around at 11 at night. I have welded a lot of things peoples lives depend on with lots of machines of all types,, including buzz boxes. Actually its cool that you guys have the interest, I learn a lot from Dan and Scott. I just dont think of welding that way from day to day. More of fabrication and design and the weld is just matter of fact. I usually start thinking about women about half way thru a bead.
            Last edited by Sberry; 05-26-2003, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry27
              Thats cool that you have a job that allows you to **** off like that over welding a guard up. hahaha I would lose my patience in a hurry with guys standing around with a magnifying glass looking for splatter on something a maniac was gonna run over anyway.
              I work maintenance in a food processing plant so generally the work load isn t very heavy. If I have a project and time allows part of my job description is to teach the other guys that I work with how to weld and fabricate. Generally Sunday is a low work load day so it is the perfect day for some teaching. So this was time spent teaching my helper some important info about MIG.

The spatter on this rail doesn t bother me, because after all it is just a guard rail. Besides the weld beads look pretty good as far as I m concerned. Scott seems to be interested in such information so I was just passing on what I had discovered about the MM 185.

PM 180C

Comment

I was just teasing you a bit. I figured you were teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
                  Dan,I just had a very long replie to your post,and it got messed up.So here is the short version.Your work needs to ditch that 250,and buy a 251 or something similar.It does not make any sense to not have a decent wirefeed around.My hobby shop has better welders then your work,and it seems yours does also(210). also.

I was wondering how the 185 would weld with .035,because I have never used it with it.I have only used .023/.30 with it,and it was very nice welder with those,once the gun liner setup was fixed.
                  Scott

A new machine would be cool. However, the desk jockeys in the front office have to have there new computers, computer network, air conditioning, and year end bonuses. Better shop equipment is there last concern. Ok, they did recently allow us to purchase the Thermal Arc Pee Wee 160.

The MM 185 actually does a good job short arcing 1/8" and 3/16" mildsteel with an .035 solid wire. The weld beads look good and have good fusion on the 1/4". It is just more spatter then I like to see. If I was really concerned about it I would have used a little anti spatter.

Oh yeah, yes my MM 210 is better then the MM 185 or MM 250 that we have at work. My MM 210 does great with .030 or .035. As you know I can spray arc using an .035 wire. Can t do that with a MM 185.

PM 180C

Comment

Working...
                  X