Syncrowave 180 foot control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 180 foot control

Is the foot pedal still functional and able to control amperage when the machine is used for stick welding or is it only functional in TIG mode? Am told it is nice to be able to vary amperage when the fitup is poor on thinner parts...

Thanks!
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

BillC - I believe it does though I havn't tried it myself.
    In the manual (page 12) on the top of the page "NOTE Remote control device has complete control of amperage at all times when connected to Remote 14 receptical"

It doesnt further qualify it as when in TIG mode. I'll try it on mine tommorow and post the results if someone from Miller or one of the experts on this site does not respond.

by the way the manual is available for downloading on the miller web site.
    Harold
    Craftsman Colormatic AC
    Victor Journyman Setup
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM210 With Spoolgun
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
    Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Thanks, Harold!

I had read the note on the top of page 12 but was confused by the interaction with the Weld Process Switch as described on page 14. Page 15 also mentions remote control being active all the time when it is plugged in, yet I gather that one of the functions of the Weld Process Switch is to activate the remote control.

Do I sound confused?

Thanks to all!
      Bill C

Comment

Bill, we used to do a lot of arc welding on thin aircraft parts using SMAW. Because the parts could have only 90% penetration, we used the foot pedal while stick welding to finly tune the current. We're talking .040" stainless, Hastelloy, and such.

On most machines I have seen, there is a 'remote/standard' or 'remote/panel' switch, remote being your foot pedal.

Comment

Bill you are correct the manual does confuse one at times. You are on the right track however. Page 15 example 3-2 clearly shows setup for stick (SMAW) welding , electrode negative. Again it states the remote control is active and gives an example of current range. Example 3-3 gives an example in the tig mode.
          Happy sparking Harold
          Harold
          Craftsman Colormatic AC
          Victor Journyman Setup
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          MM210 With Spoolgun
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

i haven't used that machine but, every welder i have ever used with a foot control was able to sma weld with that controller. both arc start and amp control.
            you probably have to turn the tig control on and leave the hi-freq off.
            if i have to sma weld i will go out of my way to try to use the foot control. i can usually do a better job with it.
            chip

Comment

Thanks Harold, Rocky, and Chip. You have all confirmed my interest in the question... It sounds like the hi-freq is turned on in TIG mode and there is no separate switch to turn it off...

How about it, ROCK? If the foot pedal is plugged in does it override the Stick mode and allow manual control of the amperage?

Thanks again!
              Bill C

Comment

HI GUYS....... OK THE SKINNY IS ........WELL IT WILL BE HARD TO CONTROL THE STICK CURRENT WITH THE FOOT PEDAL, BUT CONSTANT CURRENT IS CONSTANT CURRENT AND IT WILL WORK WITH THE FOOT PEDAL.......... YES MY TIGWAVE 250 DOES THE SAMETHING..........I WAS WAITING FOR DAVE FISHER TO GET BACK TO ANSWER THIS ONE HE IS OUR TIG PRODUCT MANAGER FOR MILLER ELECTRIC.........BUT HE IS OUT OF THE OFFICE UNTIL NEXT WEEK........ IT IS DEER HUNTING SEASON HERE THIS MONTH THIS IS THE 3RD WEEK OF IT SO EVERYONE IS KINDA OUT, ON VACATION, HUNTING, ETC.........I EVEN TOOK A FEW DAYS OFF MYSELF.....

THE 180 KNOWS NOT TO TURN ON THE GAS AND HF WHEN YOU ARE STICK WELDING THOUGH. ................. IS THAT ENOUGH INFORMATION OR WOULD YOU LIKE MORE................ .....ROCK..... [email protected]

Comment

Thanks ROCK - That keeps me from having to unpack my foot control and trying it. Didn't want to do that until I finish my current dump truck project.
                  Harold
                  Craftsman Colormatic AC
                  Victor Journyman Setup
                  Syncrowave 180 SD
                  MM210 With Spoolgun
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Thanks, ROCK!
                    Bill C

Comment

I use the foot pedal and HF start when I have to restart 7018 rods multiple times. It saves a little time chipping or tapping the coating off the end of the rod when you have to do a lot of 2 inch stitch welds.

Comment

Working...
                      X