ok, you knew this was coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, you knew this was coming

what type electrodes should i begin practicing with? i'll be doing overhead and up and down hill stick; i can already do regular position. how should i set up my dynasty for this?

welding rod??????????

............I don't know mig, pig, jig or tig, but my choice for up hill, out of position stick weldin' is and always will be 7018.

danny
    If you want it I got it
    If I ain't got it I can get it
    If I can't get it I can make it
    And if I can't make it then you don't need it

Comment

Chili,

Any rod with a "1" in the next-to-last digit position is an "all position" rod. I like softer arc, shallow penetration rods for vertical up, like 6013, 7014, and 7018. I run overhead best w/7018. I don't run downhand for crap, so I can't tell ya.

I'd set the Dynasty on DCEP, and dial in the amperage per the rod box. A little cooler on overhead.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

try some 6010's too

Try some 6010's too. If i were you I'd try several different ones and maybe a few different brands. You can just buy a pound of each. over all i probably use more 6013's than anything else but for overhead 6010's have worked well for me.
        Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
        MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
        Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
        AC/DC 250 NAP
        AC 250 Lincoln
        151 MIG CE
        Arrow bandsaw
        HM shop press
        Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

thanks guys. i'll hit the welding supply in the morning.

Comment

If your goal is to do some mobile work, the main SMAW rods you will need will be 6010 and 7018. I use Lincoln 5P+, and Excalibur, but have some Esab Atom Arc on order to try. A whole lot of portable work can be done with 6010 in 3/32, 1/8, and 5/32, and 7018 in the same sizes. I have a Dynasty 300 also. I set my dig on 60% for 6010 and 30% for 7018.
            JD Welding & Metal Fabrication

Comment

Danny -STEEL_

I love your sig line. Gotta print that up for the shop. LMAO

Comment

6010 and 7018
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Also use 6010 for a root pass on larger gaps with a 7018 cap. In the feild it will speed things up and give you a better looking weld. Just be sure not to run the 6010 to hot because it can crack. GOOD LUCK

Comment

6010... They are all position fast-freeze and will weld through "crap" better than 7018's. Make sure your machine will run them because soem stick welders won't. They run rod positive dc.

Comment

Originally posted by SteeL_ButcheR45
                      ............I don't know mig, pig, jig or tig, but my choice for up hill, out of position stick weldin' is and always will be 7018.

danny
                      since he said electrode he most likely means stick welding

i would start with the esab 7014, i started on that rod and it was great...slag just poped up off the weld and there was very little cleaning to do and the rods are easy to "operate", just drag them

after that i moved to 7018 and i didnt like it....really likes to stick at first and and not too easy to keep a steady arc on it as you cant drag this rod
                      Dave

Welcome to Sonic Orb Studios:
                      http://sonicorbstudios.squarespace.com/

Comment

I have always used 6011, 6013 and 7018 with good results. Partly due to availability, now that I have an AC/DC machine I find 6011 runs about as well on DC as 6013 did on AC, so am phasing out 6013. Would like to try some 7014, its on my list of things to do before I die. Learning to and maintaining the arc length without relying on the flux (drag-rod) is part of being a good weldor. Just like GMAW/MIG, you will learn the sound of a good arc and to compensate unconciously. Still all things considered, as a hobbyist/amateur, I consider 6010/6011, 6013 and 7018 (AC) to be the minimum arsenal.
                        Blacksmith
                        Stickmate LX AC/DC
                        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                        Hand cranked coal forge
                        Freon bottle propane forge
                        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
                        X