What tig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tig

Hey, I just got into a little tig work at school. It was the first time I have ever even held a tig torch. Well I really like it and am wondering what would be a good TIG to buy... Now I don't need anything to big but I do want a little power... and maby around 2 grand....please help ....any good or bad about products will help...thanks

I love my Dynasty but you end up at around $3000.

Check out the TA 185 (Thremal Arc). IOC or BR Welders should have some great pricing. And the TA comes with everything that you need but the gas, some more tungsten and filler rod.
    Bob Sigmon

Dynasty 200DX and Coolmate 3
    Miller Passport
    LMSW-52T Spot Welder
    O/A Setup with Meco Midget
    Miller Big Window Elite
    Quincy QT-5HD
    SkatBlast 970 Detailer

Comment

TA 185 with out a doubt. It is a real nice machine. Check out al the threads on this site alone about it. I researched the net before I bought mine and didn't find one bad thing about it. Good lock.......Dave

Comment

For under $2000, assuming you want AC/DC, my first choice would be TA185TSW, after that Miller SW 200, Miller SW185 & Lincoln 185.....the last three assume you have at least 230V, 50 amp service. The HTP401 is nice but it will be hard to get a complete one for under $2000 I think. I have a TA185TSW (IOC for $1676 complete with free shipping) and I think you get the best bang for your buck with it, the best thing would be to test them if you can before you buy.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

"Well, you can call me Ray, and you can call me Jay, but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson....." (Trivia. You youngsters may not relate... )

I have a Thermal Arc Pro Wave 185 TSW, as do some other folks. I can't tell you how it compares to other TIG/Stick rigs, because it's the only one I've ever used, and then not for very long. I'm a TIG newbie.

I CAN say what I like about it. It came ready to weld with a TIG torch, SMAW stinger, TIG consumables (CK-17 torch kit - 3- collets/bodies, three hunks of tungsten, and three gas cups), a flowgauge and a set of DIN cable connectors for use as needed.

It is EASY to set up. The manual is excellent. It is "full featured".

Since I had no clue as to what I should do, and I knew how to stick weld (?) I strung out the leads and set it up for DCEP (I had only used AC before) and burned some rods. Instant love!

My bud George (Sundown) gave me a TIG lesson via land-line where we both sat there and ran the machines together and compared results. That was a very beneficial tutorial, and I can tell you it TIG welds equally as sweet. (I'll not comment on the operator at this time.)

All this for $1670 was a deal I could not refuse. I'd like to have a Dynasty, it's just out of my league!

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I bought a TA185 a few months ago and couldn't be happier!! Like others have said, it comes with everything you need to get going except the gas. You won't be disappointed!
            Hypertherm Powermax380
            Millermatic 175 w/3035 Spoolgun
            Thermal Arc 185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
              "Well, you can call me Ray, and you can call me Jay, but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson....." (Trivia. You youngsters may not relate... )Hank

my mom used to say that all of the time....is it from saturday night live?? as for the input...thanks a lot...i was looking at the ta 185 but you all helped...i did watch a guy tig to coke cans together with one....

Comment

Rowan and Martin - "Laugh In"

Hank
                ...from the Gadget Garage
                MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                HH 210 w/DP 3035
                TA185TSW
                Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                  Rowan and Martin - "Laugh In"

Hank
                  Man, I used to be glued to the B & W when that show was on
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

You may want to read some of these threads:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...earchid=324249

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...earchid=120885
                    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                    HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                    Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Local dealer oredered one in to demo to me. It will probavly be sold by the end of the week.

Dennis
                      Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                      Millermatic Challenger 172
                      VictorO/A
                      Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                      Esab PCM-875
                      Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Working...
                      X