Hobart engine driven welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart engine driven welder

Hi there, My name is Jay. I am new to this board. I am going to buy a new engine driven welder in the next 2 to 3 months. The question that I have is: I am looking at the Hobart Champion 10000. It has a engine option of a Kohler or a Onan. Which engine would you select and why? I really cant see that much difference in the 2 models. I will be using this welder on the farm and around the shop. Also if you like another welder better let me know.The reason I selected this welder was for the price and the background of this welder. Thanks for any help, Jay

My vote is for the Onan.
    Kohler makes a good engine, but I've over 12000 hours of time on various Onan powered welders, only maintenance needed is to change the oil at regular intervals, and they seem to run forever.
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Hi, Jay
      as far as engine selection I feel it is more personal preferance ...but I would look into the easy of getting parts and repair of it in your area....as for the welder i perfer for farm repair (and i do alot of farm calls) is lincoln sa 200 do to the fact it has the same engine as many small ford farm tractors red seal continental (so cheap parts are easy to come by) and it is almost bullet proof with little to go wrong with it ....but it does have it's draw backs ...on cold days around35 and below it needs a shot of happy juice to get it going but once warmed up goes good and the older models only have one 125 volt 8amp d/c out let so you got to be careful what you plug in will take d/c ....the newer ones have better options......i own 3 of the sa 200's and the most i ever paid was 600 bucks with leads the others i gave 350 with leads and 300 needs work and with leads......all have been in service for 3 years now with no troubles yet.....but i will tell you this look around and buy the machine that will best fit your needs no matter what color it is
      I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it
      be sure to check out http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php?

Comment

I have a Lincoln Ranger 250 with the Onan.Their a good motor no doubt but be prepared to shell out some dough for parts if the day comes that she does need fixin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Heimbach
          My vote is for the Onan.
          Kohler makes a good engine, but I've over 12000 hours of time on various Onan powered welders, only maintenance needed is to change the oil at regular intervals, and they seem to run forever.
          Another Onan vote here. Much tougher IMO than the Kohler. Change oil every 50 hours.

Comment

I would go with the oran. I have a older welder here. its a 1960 Something The date is still a wonder ? But I can call and still get parts for the engine. Yes thay might be a bit pricey but thats better then not able to get them at all is it not?

OMS
            OMS
            HH175
            Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
            Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
            Smith O/A X 2
            Harris O/A
            BridgePort
            MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
            And more!
            Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Stick
              I would go with the oran. I have a older welder here. its a 1960 Something The date is still a wonder ? But I can call and still get parts for the engine. Yes thay might be a bit pricey but thats better then not able to get them at all is it not?

OMS
              Amen. I bought a well used Lincoln with a 225 AC/DC and Hi-Freq. when I bought my PowCon three years ago. Had a 6KW gen set with an Onan engine. Parts aren't cheap, but parts aren't that cheap for a Kohler or B&S in that HP size. Sold the thing to a good friend who needed it in his business. Wish I had kept it now; his welder didn't take good care of it and I hear its toast.

Comment

The newer 22 kohler is a very nice unit,and yes I did the research before I bought it,and so did Lincoln.That is the only engine they put in the best welding small engine engine drive out there.Yes it's the 305g,and it really is a smooth,and quiet engine.Cope take my word for it,50 hours is too long between oil changes.I follow something closer to what Franz has stated on the matter.I do like the fact on the new Onan 20.5 onan was not sure what they were doing so they got Curtis-Robin to help them out.So that is a plus for the Onan.Both are fine.

Comment

I went with the Onan on my Trailblazer always works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
                    The newer 22 kohler is a very nice unit,and yes I did the research before I bought it,and so did Lincoln.That is the only engine they put in the best welding small engine engine drive out there.Yes it's the 305g,and it really is a smooth,and quiet engine.Cope take my word for it,50 hours is too long between oil changes.I follow something closer to what Franz has stated on the matter.I do like the fact on the new Onan 20.5 onan was not sure what they were doing so they got Curtis-Robin to help them out.So that is a plus for the Onan.Both are fine.
                    Scott, the 50 hours is based upon three years driving a tool truck around Houston with Onan running full load. I agree that 20-25 hours is safer, but I kow too many tool dealers who run 50 or more hours on theirs to push the issue. That said, 4 qts of Valvoline and a Fram oil filter are much cheaper than an engine overhaul.

One mistake I will never make again is running Pennzoil in a gen set. My Onan dealer warned me to be careful using it because of higher heat in an air-cooled, but Sam's Club had it cheap and I kept running it until 3 days into an oil change it turned to gelatin. I caught it just in time to avoid a ruined engine, and this was a nearly new 6.5KW!
                    Last edited by cope; 04-20-2003, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Cope,those onans are different for one thing they turn 1800 rpms,and are 180 degree twins.I like those the best over the welding generators engines.Although I think Miller put some of those type in the AE200 welding generators or some unit like it.

Chub380 if it was a 301g Trailblazer they only have a 20 horse Kohler not the 22 horse,and when you get the Onan it is the same as the one they put in the Lincoln Ranger 250,and the 250 Bobcat at 20.5 horse.

Comment

Hi again. Thanks for all your input. It sounds like the Onan is the way to go. I am still going to do some more looking into which brand to buy, I have about 2 months before I buy one. Thanks again,Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
                          Cope,those onans are different for one thing they turn 1800 rpms,and are 180 degree twins.I like those the best over the welding generators engines.Although I think Miller put some of those type in the AE200 welding generators or some unit like it.

I have a AEA-200LE and I have a Oran twin I think mine is 12.9HP at 2700 RPM.
                          Last edited by Old Man Stick; 04-20-2003, 11:22 PM.
                          OMS
                          HH175
                          Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
                          Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
                          Smith O/A X 2
                          Harris O/A
                          BridgePort
                          MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
                          And more!
                          Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Stick

I have a AEA-200LE and I have a Oran twin I think mine is 12.9HP at 2700 RPM.
                            Yep that's the one,with ac welding output.My friend had one like it,but it welded at 3000 rpm,and put out 25 amps ac at 120volts/1800 rpm.He didn't have any mufflers only straight pipes on it.You could barely here it run at 1800 rpm,and then you could really hear it at 3000 rpm.That's where the Miller legend came from.I would like to have one, for some strange reason.

Comment

Hi Guys, yep onan is the way here too.

My Lincoln 250 has an onan in it and it runs real nice and smoth.

same on oil, somewher around 50 hours, we change out.

Bernie

Comment

Working...
                              X