Will Wirefeeder work with ac/dc stick welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Wirefeeder work with ac/dc stick welder

Am looking at buying a used mig wirefeeder can I use the DC side of my hobart ac/dc stick welder as a power supply? just curious and trying to save some money

Probably not. GMAW requires a Constant Voltage power supply and your DC SMAW machine is a Constant Current source.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Comment

add on feeder

tynwood; mike's answer, although technically correct, is some what misleading. add on feeders can be had which are voltage sensing, this means that the wire speed adjusts itself to the burn -off rate of the wire. what this means to you is that a controler is needed for the mig gun, or a unit with the control built in is needed. the hobart hefty( now made by thermal arc), and the lincoln ln 25 are two examples of the built in type. Of the external controler type , the miller 30-a spool gun is available with the 115a controler, which has a voltage sensing connection.
      bottom line , up to $2000 for the built in feeder, about $1500 for the spoolgun with the controler. no free lunch.
      steelhanger

Comment

Steelhanger is correct, again technically. I own several Lincoln Electric LN-25 machines and yes they do claim to operate on constant current. My personal opinion is that they are exagerating their claims somewhat. The quality of operation and the degree of difficulty involved with that setup is not worth the effort and I would never suggest someone spend money in that direction. Of course this is just my opinion and obviously someone is operating these "suitcase welders" on constant current. It just isn't me.
        Respectfully,
        Mike Sherman
        Shermans Welding

Comment

TYNEWOOD........WELL I OWN 3 HEFTY FEEDERS AND ONE S32P MILLER FEEDER.......ALL ARE VOLTAGE SENSING FEEDERS, ALL RUN ON ENGINE DRIVES, AND ALL ARE EITHER CONSTANT CURRENT OR CONSTANT VOLTAGE.......... JUST FLIP THE SWITCH INSIDE FROM CC TO CV........ THEY ALL HAVE A PLACE AND A NITCH THEY SUFFICE..............HOWEVER IN THE SHOP I USE A STANDARD CV FEEDER ON TOP OF A STANDARD CV POWER SUPPLY........ AND YES IN A PINCH I WOULD USE A VOLTAGE SENSING FEEDER INSIDE THE SHOP AND HAVE DONE SO BEFORE............. THEY'RE KINDA LIKE MOTOR CYCLES I WOULDN'T RIDE MY OLD 1949EL ON A ROAD TRIP........BUT I WOULD RIDE MY 1977 DRESSER ON A ROAD TRIP.................... NEED MORE TOYS.......... BE SAFE.......... ROCK .. [email protected]

Comment

Rock, I purchased and should actually receive my 2003, 100th anniversary edition Silver and Black "ULTRA CLASSIC" in October. Now if I could just sell that Honda....
            Respectfully,
            Mike Sherman
            Shermans Welding

Comment

Mike, what is a "utra Classic"?
              Thanks
              Gary Wolboldt

Comment

ULTRA CLASSIC is the fully dressed Harley Davidson. My wife calls it the "RV" or the "old folks bike". She actually likes my Honda Shadow better. Strange, isn't she?
                Respectfully,
                Mike Sherman
                Shermans Welding

Comment

MIKE................. WELL I HAVEN'T PURCHASED A NEW BIKE IN A LONG TIME. ACTUALL THE 77 WAS THE LAST NEW BIKE..... I KINDA GOT INTO THE OLD FUNKY STUFF............ LOOKED AT A SIDE HACK MONDAY FOR ONE OF MY OLD BIKES............MY WAS IT PRICIE... BUT EVERY PIECE EXCEPT THE STEP WAS THERE.............ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS ORDERED HIS 3 YEARS AGO WHEN YOU HAD TO WAIT 2 YEARS TO GET A NEW BIKE.........HE WANTED THE 100TH YEAR ONE HISSELF............HOGWILD..............BE SAFE.........REMEMBER RIDE LIKE EVERYONE IS TRYING TO KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY DON'T SEE YA...............ROCK
                  [email protected]

Comment

If I have done this properly attached is a picture of my new bike. If I haven't, sorry.
                    Respectfully,
                    Mike Sherman
                    Shermans Welding

Comment

I thought you were talking about some special welding machine? duh
                      Thanks
                      Gary Wolboldt

Comment

Geat looking bike Mike. I haven't been on one of those in over 40 years. Used to ride a big INDIAN TWIN.
                        Harold
                        Harold
                        Craftsman Colormatic AC
                        Victor Journyman Setup
                        Syncrowave 180 SD
                        MM210 With Spoolgun
                        Dynasty 200 DX
                        Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
                        Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

HI HAROLD........GOT ANY OF THOSE OLD INDIAN PARTS LAYING AROUND................?.................ROCK......

Comment

No Rock but sure wish I did. My dad got rid of it all some where around 1956, 57. I also had a small indian checke that I learned on. but as I recall it had a bad engine and was parked behind the barn. Oh well
                            Harold
                            Harold
                            Craftsman Colormatic AC
                            Victor Journyman Setup
                            Syncrowave 180 SD
                            MM210 With Spoolgun
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
                            Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sherman
                              If I have done this properly attached is a picture of my new bike. If I haven't, sorry.
                              Now, that's my kinda bike!!

Comment

Working...
                              X