dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead

i got this hobart ive been posting about.well today i got her fired up and she runs sweet.the generator end is dead.no output on the terminals or the 110 outlet,ive got 13.5v at the brushes.shouldnt the brushes excite the rest? also i have no voltage coming into the fuses by the cicuit card so that makes the card dead as well.if the rectifier is that square 4 prong connector ive got 13.5 v there. where else should i be looking for input output voltage
    miller 301D with wc115,(2) 30A spoolguns,millermatic 135,lincoln invertec 250,1968 lincoln 300 diesel,1963 P&H F163 red seal,hobart titan combo diesel,hobart 6 cyl.ford,hobart hefty cc/cv,lincoln LN25

Are we talking about the generator brushes or the exciter brushes?

Comment

that would be the exciter,i havent found any generator brushes unless one of the two on the front slip rings is the generator brushes
      miller 301D with wc115,(2) 30A spoolguns,millermatic 135,lincoln invertec 250,1968 lincoln 300 diesel,1963 P&H F163 red seal,hobart titan combo diesel,hobart 6 cyl.ford,hobart hefty cc/cv,lincoln LN25

Comment

Refresh my memory, isn/t this that really old honart engine drve

Comment

the machine i am told is a mega-arc 300g circa early 80s.it is powered by a ford inline 6 3.3L

Comment

So you'd have a front panel that opens to reveal a circuit card, and remote hookups. Providing that the board is present, the board may be blown, or a sensor to the board may be missing. This sensor may not alow the generator to operate, ie, a oil pressure or coolant sensor might be missing, never the less, all generatorr functions are dealt with on that board. You will have to follow the wiring diagram to verify inputs.

Comment

yes ,and the circuit card is intact as well as all the fuses,however the card is dead,what i mean is ive not found any input voltage to the card.shouldnt it excite then power up the card to generate the main

Comment

The power for the pc board comes from the generator. The generator should be self excited but if the unit has been sitting it may need excited. You will need to applied 12Vdc to the exciter rectifier that feeds the two slip rings making sure of the proper polarity while the unti is running. Do not leave the external 12 volts on to long because as the generator builds up power it will back feed 110Vdc into your external 12Volts. This is only needed if the 110Vac outlets do not work also.

Keith

Comment

okay,my 110is dead too,so is it possible to backfeed 110ac. to the receptacle to regain lost magnetism.ive already applied 12v dc to a pos. rectifier terminal with no results.my slip rings are very clean and when i turn the ign. on ive got 12v at the slip ring already

Comment

Check the resistance across the two slip rings with the brushes lifted off. You should get @ 5-7.5 ohms.

Keith

Comment

Something is up because you shouldn't have 12Vdc at the sliprings even when the unit is exciting, should be onlt a couple of volts to start. A Flash of 12 volts off the battery is only momentary, sounds more like a rotor short to ground.

Comment

okay did what yall said i checked it with a DVM and came up with 8.1. not good eh?

Comment

Venturline is correct, you should not have 12Vdc with just the ignition on unless something else is wrong. This also could be due to a bad ignition switch since this unit got its flash there.

Keith

Comment

Hey RIG,

The 8.1 is questionable but lets make sure we rule everything else out. When you applied the external 12Vdc how much voltage did you get at your 110V receptacles? If the voltage does not build up then there could be an open exciter revolving field on the armature. The reading you got could very well indicate that but it depends on how accurate your meter is.

Keith

Comment

ive got all of .04v at the receptacle with ign.on ive got 1.4 ohms @ receptacle ign. off .with ign. on ive got [email protected] rectifier and 12v @ brushes, now brushes are contacting slip ring transfering 12v.why wouldnt the slip rings be 12v energized? could i have the rectifier wired wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X