MM 210 using 85/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM 210 using 85/15

If you have read some recent posts of mine you know that I picked up a bottle of 85% AR/15% CO2 for using on sheetmetal with my HH 135. Well, since 85/15 is a spray transfer shielding gas I also decided to continue the experiment of producing spray transfer with my MM 210. Well, I know enough about gas mixtures and the MM 210 voltage output to know that for this experiment to have any chance of being successful I needed to try an .030 solid wire. So, I installed an .030 E 70S-6 wire onto the machine. Now my material thickness for this experiment was 1/4", so this meant I d need a lot of power. Therefore, I set the voltage to tap #7 and the wire speed to around 70. I must be getting a good feel for this machine, because when I tried to weld at these settings the arc was a spray transfer. It is a low level spray but it is definately spray. This time around I hooked my volt meter up to the machine and had my son watch the meter. This turned out to be more interesting then the actual test. Anyway, the load voltage reading at these settings was 26.6 volts

Since I had the meter hooked up to the machine I switched the bottle over to 98/2 and ran some welds too. With 98/2 I was able to take the wirespeed up to about 80 before I started to get the crackle sound. In the end though I brought the wire down to around 75 this produced a high level spray transfer. My son said that the meter read 25.8 load volts

So in the end I feel that this was another successful experiment, and of course I will be posting a picture showing my results. However first I want to mention one more experiment that I tried with the 85/15.

The settings chart that Miller provides with the machine has settings on it for welding 22 ga. with an .030 wire using C 25. So since I have some scrap 22 ga. I decided to try the 85/15 with an .030 wire on some 22 ga., and once again this machine amazed me. I was able to tune the arc down to a very soft metal transfer that made welding even this thin material actually kinda easy. My scrap peices are only about 1" wide and 2 1/2" long so heat is going to build up quickly in them. Even with these small peices I was able to run 1" long stringer beads on a flat butt joint, that had some gaps along the length of the joint, without blowing a hole into the joint. Remember this was with an .030 wire. Guess I ll have to order a set of .023 rolls and see what kind of results I get with the .023 wire too.

Anyway, heres a look at that 85/15 spray transfer picture.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Dan, same spatter pattern I had, but smaller beads. Pretty weld. FWIW, PowCin recommends E70S-3 for spray transfer. No reason given, but that's what their chart says.

Comment

Dan,Seems like you are starting to do stuff that I been doing for a long time.I kind of bet the .023 won't impress you that much with your gun setup.Been there a couple of weeks ago with the 185.think shorter gun,or liner change.Night,and day stuff again.I used a .030 liner in the Esab clone of your gun with good luck.

Comment

I was under the impression that spray arc eliminated spatter,i'm not sure why i thought that,have i misunderstood?

Comment

Arc Burn,if you look close it sure looks like he did not waste any time cleaning the metal.It's the same as short arc with spatter if you don't clean the metal real well.The larger wire does spray better if you have the juice,but the .030 is nice for a smaller weld puddle.

Dan,more pics of your short-arc 22 gauge.I can wait for the .023 deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Arc Burn
            I was under the impression that spray arc eliminated spatter,i'm not sure why i thought that,have i misunderstood?
            Arc Burn

This example with 85/15 is at the lower end of spray transfer, were the arc just transitions over from globular to spray. So because of this there was a little instability at the start and finish of the weld. This is were some of the spatter came from. Part of it is from tacking the 2 pieces together. It was just a test piece so I wasn t worried about making perfect tacks. The MM 210 doesn t have a high enough output voltage to produce a high level spray with this gas mixture. 98% argon/ 2% oxy is the gas mix to use with a MM 210. With 98/2 Im able to produce a high level (very stable) spray transfer with an .030 or .035 wire. Here is a example weld ran with 98/2 and an .035 wire
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

10-4 Dan!I love your expierements with the 210 especially since i just ordered one and should pick it up tomorrow,nice pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Arc Burn
                10-4 Dan!I love your expierements with the 210 especially since i just ordered one and should pick it up tomorrow,nice pics!
                Arc Burn

I saw in one of your other posts that you are going be doing aluminum. I assume this means you ordered the Spoolmate 3035 too. For your first attempt at aluminum I recommend you try at least 3/16" thick aluminum because 1/8" will discourage you. By the way standard aluminum MIG welding is spray transfer. So, it looks like you are going to have a quick intro to it. Also, the machine comes with recommendations for 4043 aluminum filler. If you use 5356 instead you will at least need to increase the wire speed setting or else the wire will burnback to the contact tip.

PM 180C

Comment

Dan,thats correct,i did order the 3035,it was a package deal.Thanks for the tips,i'm sure i'll have a hundred questions once this cherade gets under way!

Comment

Working...
                  X