new to mig welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to mig welding

I have been useing a miller ac cracker box for years. I just bought a hobart 135 mig and I am having a real good time with it.My question is how dark of a lense should I use.I am having a little problem seeing the tight seams I'm welding.

For short circuit transfer, like your HH 135 produces, a # 10 shade is generally the most commonly used shade. For added joint visibility, try lighting the joint with a 500 W halogen work light.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

When welding about 20 gage and thinner steel try shade 9.
      Get adjustable auto dark filter and have it your way.
      Last edited by Roger; 09-16-2002, 06:18 AM.

Comment

halogen light vs the auto dark helmet

Has anyone tried a halogen light when using an auto dark helmet?

I ask because I tried lighting the work with a 150W incandecent bulb and that light made the auto dark lens go dark. Sorta defeated the purpose of the auto dark feature.

Steady, and even direct, sunlight does not trip my helmet, but a sudden glint of sunlight from the work or torch will.

I understand there has been a lot of advancement in helmets in recent years so what works (or does not work) for one might not for another.

Maybe our product expert can "shead some light" or "dark".

Comment

I would think if you had the light come from over your shoulder, in such a fashion that the sensors in the helmet don't see it, it should work fine.

Just a thought.

Comment

light and dark

Rocky,

Well, actually, no. I double checked and the reflected incandecent light from the work trips the dark. Flourscent lights do not??

Hoping someone can repeat my finding with the incandecent and try the halogen. I take stuff out in the sun for now, but the halogen would be nice if it works.

Bob

Comment

I use a 10 shade for stick but I have to have a darker shade for wire welding. I usually have to go 11-11.5. I have blue eyes and blue eyes generally are more sensitive to the welding light so that may be why I need a darker shade for my wire welding. As for the auto helmets, I have had the regular light bulbs turn the darkening feature on(quite regularly). The halogen bulbs do not tend to do that as much, but they do turn it on. I am unsure of whether it is because I have the halogen farther away from my welding or not. I usually hang a halogen above my work area 500W. It seems to work just fine. Occasionally I have to hold my head slightly off to an angle to keep it from tripping.

Comment

Working...
              X