Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray base material with Anti-spatter before welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray base material with Anti-spatter before welding?

Hi,

I just read in one of the postings - the one about too much spatter - that one of you folks recommends spaying the base material with anti-spatter before welding.

I'm going to be welding 1/4" mild steel round stock to 1/16" mild steel round stock. I'd been stick welding the material and have just purchased a new-used Hobart Betamig 251 to speed up the operation - I have about 4500 units to build in my spare time before June and I've just ordered my new gun, consumables, wire, and cylinder over the web. As soon as the stuff shows up I'll be playing around to see if .030 or .023 will give me a better weld and reduced heat build up on the base. I've tried .035 on the material with this welder before I bought the welder and no matter how slow I run the wire or heat without causing sticking I'm generating too much heat. I'm using c25.

I'm probably pre-mature with these questions until I get my wire sized and amprage set, but I guess my questions are these:

1 "Should I worry about pre-spraying the material at all?"
    2. "If I do pre-spay with anti-spatter, just give it a very light shot?"

Thanks a lot,
    Doug

First, I'd try it without any antispatter, and determine if spatter is a problem.
    If it is a problem, head over to the local pottery shop and get some slip clay. Thin down the slip clay and paint it on the material where spatter will be a problem, and let it dry. After welding, the clay and spatter will wipe off. Slip Clay is a lot cheaper than spray can, and you don't have to breathe the **** fumes from the can.

Comment

It may be cheaper, but it sounds a LOT slower. And more work... yuck

Comment

Four things come to mind as I read your post, 1) A properly set mig will have very little, if any spatter that will not just wipe off. 2) A welder set at a higher temperature will allow you to move faster and will put less overall heat into a weldment than vice versa. 3) If possible use a 75/25 gas instead of Co2. Co2 increases spatter and penetration, both of which you do not want. 4) A little anti spatter spray (or similar product) never hurts, it may save you alot of work.
        Respectfully,
        Mike Sherman
        Shermans Welding

Comment

MONINDOU..........FIRST OFF WELCOME ABOARD........I WAS ACTUALLY BORN IN NEBRASKA..............CAMBRIDGE AREA.......... YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A LOT OF PIECES TO WELD UP....... HOW THICK AND WHAT KINDA METAL...........MIKE IS CORRECT WHEN SET UP PROPERLY THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD.............NOT MUCH SPLATTER.......... ANTI-SPLATTER WORKS PRETTY GOOD....... AND I MUST ADMIT FRANZ.......... CLAY IS A NEW ONE ON ME...... BUT I DON'T SEE ANY REASON IT WON'T WORK............. WHEN YOU GET SET UP AND RUNNING GIVE US A SHOUT WITH ANY PROBLEMS AND TELL US HOW IT WENT...........OR IF NO PROBLEMS TELL US HOW IT WENT ANYWAY.............................BE SAFE..............ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Well this may sound funny to some of you... my passion in life is killing coyotes but my 8-5 job is being a Technical Project Manager for a once international but now failing cow spotted computer manufacturer located in South Dakota.

I've run a pretty big trap line for about 20 years now. Over the years a fellow gets to seeing things in a differnt light. As such I invented a new coyote snare support device about 2 years ago. The device spent the first year of it's life in field trials on my trap line and a trap line of fellow about 100 miles southwest of me. After the trials I cut a video and sent samples of the product to a couple of big retail names in the trapping industry. One of the guys decided to advertise it and sell it for me - for a percentage of course. The first 1200 units sold out in less than 90 days. Now I have a very large order to fill

Anyway, the device is made by welding 1/4" hot roll round stock to 3/16" hardened round stock AND #9 black annealed wire. I personally don't think spatter will be an issue but heat is an issue. I've taken scrap material down to the local welding stores when I was test driving new systems loaded with .035. Good welds, but the product got too hot no matter how low the settings. I figured that if I was able to use smaller filler when testing the systems I could take the amprage down and still get a good weld. Since I was unable to test my theory at the welding stores I'll do it on my own. My new gun,consumables, and 66lbs each of .023/.030/.035 will be coming in from Welding Depot, and the cylinder will be coming from Fresno Oxy (RAM) and should be on my site by end of week this week or early next week at the latest. After that it's A&E fellows... this trapper will be burning wire.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how this turns out. If it sux, I'll have a good Hobart Beta Mig 251 with 2 new sets of drive rolls, a good used 10' 400 amp Hobart gun and new 12' 180 amp Tegrakiss gun up for sale for what I have into it

Thanks -
            Doug

Comment

4500 units .... wow!

how long does it take you to make one unit ?

there are 59 days til june 1st ... that's an avg of 76 units
              a day ... you better get busy

I used to work for the big spotted cow computer killer when I lived in Round Rock, TX

- jack

Comment

well, 750 lbs of wire's been cut and striaghtened. 1000 lbs of rod's been cut. And nearly 3/4 of the rod's been bent. So the work is about 1/2 done. I can't tell you how long it's going to take using a MIG instead of a stick, but I can tell you that last fall it took me 80 hours to weld out - excluding the material prep work listed above - that order and that was using a stick welder. So I figure that with a MIG & auto-darkening hood I should be be able to crank out that order in about 160 hours of weld time.

Comment

not too bad. a mig and autohood should really speed things up if you did all that before with having to chip slag !

do you have to prep/paint them also ?

- jack

Comment

Nope, just bundle into dozens, load 'em up and vacation off to Montana to drop the delivery and relax a few days away from the Holy Spotted Cow Pie

Comment

sounds like you've got a plan ... just do it !

- jack

Comment

Working...
                      X