obsolete parts for hobart gf 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obsolete parts for hobart gf 250

I have an old Hobart model gf 250, and i need to find a manual and a new rheostat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GANDYLAND.....OK........GIVE ME SERIAL NUMBER AND I WILL FIND A REPLACEMENT FOR YOU.........MANUAL THAT WILL BE KINDA HARD LET'S SEE HOW OLD IT IS FIRST SHALL WE...........ROCK
    [email protected]

Comment

serial# for gf-250

Hi Rock thanks for helping here are the specs

spec# 55175-1
      model# gf-250
      serial# 77ws08291

Comment

GANDYLAND...............WELL I CAN NOT MAKE OUT ALL THE INFORMATION ON THE TEST CARD...........IT IS A FISH FILE AND MORE THAN 25 YEARS OLD. AS NEAR AS I CAN TELL IS IS 75 OHM 150 OR 250 WATT.....................UNIT WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1977...............I'M SORRY I DON'T HAVE A MANUAL EITHER.........SO AS YOU CAN SEE THIS IS A GUESS.............ANY CHANCE YOU CAN STILL READ THE VALUES ON THE RHEOSTATE......................?... IF IT IS 75 OHM 150 WATT THEN THE NEAREST MILLER REPLACEMENT PART IS 030070........................... ....... SORRY THAT IS THE BEST I CAN DO..........................ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Gandyland, I just bought a gf-250 that I'm trying to troubleshoot. Motor runs fine and generator produces 110v, but unit will not weld. There's a missing wire and I cannot tell where its supposed to be hooked up. Can I e-mail you a photo and see if you can look on your machine for a comparable wire? Thanks. Joe Stewart

Comment

Not sure if you noticed, but this thread's a year and a half old, and while gandy might still be around, this was the only thing he ever posted.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

gf 250 pic

Hey Joe, send the pic, i would be more than happy to check it out, hope i can be of some help. Send pic to [email protected]

Comment

And he IS here! Welcome back.
                Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

lol back and still haven't got that rheostat for my old machine.

Comment

Originally posted by gandylad
                    lol back and still haven't got that rheostat for my old machine.
                    Try this place. I happen to come across it reasearching Powcon. Their site says they sell parts for obsolete welders. It looks like ARC repairs and maintains parts for Powcon.

http://www.arc-products.com/index.html

Comment

Thanks Gandylad! This discussion board and individuals like yourself are lifesavers! I'll take the photo this weekend and e-mail it to you on Saturday night. The wire in question is one (1) of the two (2) small diameter wires that goes to the back of the rheostat (as opposed to those large caliber wires that are connected at intervals around the circumference of the back of the rheostat). On my welder, one (1) of the small wires is intact and connected appropriately. The connecting screw for the other wire has a ring type wire connector on it, but there is no wire attached to it (apparently this wire had been knocked off and not replaced). Looking around in that maze of wires behind the control panel did not reveal any loose errant wires. So I have no idea where that wire should hook up. Confused? Let me e-mail you the photo and that will clarify. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I'm still looking for wiring diagrams for this machine and the Hobart RC-303. Thanks! Joe Stewart

Comment

Thank you Gandylad for e-mailing me the photos and diagrams regarding the proper placement of the missing wire. I replaced the missing wire and my GF-250 now welds! I used sheet aluminum, rivets and JB weld to fix the holes in the gas tank. I wanted to return the favor by helping you out with your broken rheostat. I called Arco welding supply in Santa Fe Springs, CA and the helpful technicians there told me that the rheostat in the GF-250 is a 50 ohm, 150 watt non-linear ceramic model with a "long shaft," manufactured by Ohmite. They said it was still available, but apparently they are manufactured on an "as needed" basis, because Arco said they needed pre-payment and a four month "lead time" if you needed to buy one. The quoted cost was about $98.00. I looked at the rheostat on my machine and the numbers are still legible! The numbers are on the edge of the ceramic portion and the read "SPEC 52067 50 ohm 8323." For the record, my gf-250 is a spec 5517F-1 serial 78WS19370. Hope this helps you in your quest to get your gf-250 running! Joe Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by gandylad
                          I have an old Hobart model gf 250, and i need to find a manual and a new rheostat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                          Here's some places I tried: Buffalo welding was very helpful, lots of old manuals. 716 875 3340. http://www.buffalowelding.com (I phoned) He reccomend I try Phoenix welding @ 602 253 1108, B&[email protected] 1 800 783 3073, Roy [email protected] 313 883 6969.

Buffalo welding had 1975 manual for my hobart 27. The other places could have hobart parts/manuals as well.
                          Miller 251
                          Miller Synchrowave 250 DX
                          Hobart Fabricator/No. 27 feeder
                          Hypertherm 45 Powermax
                          Hypertherm 190C
                          Miller XP 130
                          Princess Auto 400 amp DC Diesel Generator/project

Comment

Working...
                          X