Powcon,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powcon,

Cope,or anybody else,does your powcon have lift-arc tig?The reason I asked is another welder fell out of the sky,and landed in my basement.It's a Powcon 300 ST,stick-tig(Three phase only).It looks almost like new,and it's up for trade after I know it works.When it rains it pores welders up here in Oregon.

Scott, mine is MIG/Stick. I guess that's what the SM in the model number means. Most PowCons can be set single or three phase. Best source of information on PowCon is Arc Products. Call and ask for Ian Mascarenhas. Rock worked with him at PowCon.

1245 30th Street
    San Diego, CA 92154

Ian Mascarenhas X314 Technical Service Rep.
    800-770-0063

BTw, those PowCons are good machines. Whoever buys your can get a manual for it for around $20 from Arc Products. They also service Airco and L-Tec.

Comment

Cope,thanks for the info.I thought yours was a tig also.This one is a three phase model only as far as I can tell.My friend at the welding store knows a whole lot about them.I think it might have some kind of high voltage start like some Hypertherm,and certain Esab plasma cutters.If it was single phase I would keep it,but I really doubt if I would of got it as cheap as I did.I kind of always liked Powcon.

Comment

I thought about adding a TIG torch, but I wouldn't have a very sophisticated TIG that way.

Comment

Stick welding

Cope,I hooked up the powcon to some three phase power,and it worked.The one guy at the welding store that knows about them was out today.Mine says three phase on the tag,but I not to sure if it can be run on single phase.The old info at the welding store did not say there was a three phase model only.Only three models with muti voltages like 380/560,and so on.Mine is 230/460.

The stick welding is kind of funny sounding,it lets you know you are doing something supid.If it can be run on single phase I going to keep the near mint $80.00 welder.I kind of doubt my luck runs that good.People come into the welding store all the time asking for powcons,and paying a pretty penny for them.Here is a ebay one that the guy says is single phase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...517076859&rd=1

Comment

Scott, they are very nice machines. You are right about the stick sound; something like a turbine whining! Ernie at Google is very impressed with them also. PowCon derated to 60% duty cycle amperage to get a model number. Yours probably puts out 300 @60% and a total of 350? My 200 puts out 200 @ 60% and 160 @100%. Range is 10-250. You ought to call Ian at Arc Products. Its a free call and he will tell you if you can go from single to 3 phase. The manual should run around $22 if you decide to keep it. BTW, welderman.com had several 400SMT for $775 each and sold them quickly. They were in good shape but had been used a bit. That should give you some idea what yours is worth.
            Last edited by cope; 03-24-2003, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Scott,
              Put out a big bucket to catch all the welders that are raining down. Send the ones ya don't want to Oklahoma. Thanks!
              Art is dangerous!
              www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

HEY GUYS.................WHICH ONE DO YOU HAVE........ I STILL HAVE MOST OF THE MANUALS.......NO I CAN'T SHARE THEM BUT IAN CAN HELP ALSO................ROCK.
                [email protected]

Comment

Rock, Scott has the 300ST 3-phase. Can it be converted to single phase?

Comment

Rock mine is exactly like the ebay one.Do you know if there is a three phase model only?I am heading to the welding store to find out.I am going to call Arc Products for a manual if I Keep the thing.
                    Also how is the tig arc setup,with hi voltage start?What type of dc tig arc do these machines have,Good,bad,indifferent?Thanks for any imput,Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...517076859&rd=1

Comment

SCOTTV.......THE ORIGINAL ONE'S WERE 3 PHASE ONLY....................HOWEVER THE 300ST WAS 375 AMPS AT 35 VOTLS 28% DUTY CYCLE 3 PHASE INPUT. AT SINGLE PHASE THEY WERE 200A, 28 VOLTS, 60% DUTY CYCLE SINGLE PHASE INPUT.............. IAN WILL NEED TO GIVE YOU THE DATE'S SORRY I DON'T RECALL...............ALSO SOME WERE 17 PIN AMPHENOLS AND SOME WERE 14 PIN AMPHENOL'S....................... ROCK
                      [email protected]

Comment

Rock,this one does work with single phase.I tried it at the welding store,and it was fine by dropping the red leg.My friend at the welding store had a remote control,and also the pulse control box for that machine for $100.00.It has the 14 pin control.I think I going to let that one go down the road,Because how many stick tig machines do I need?That one would make #5,and three of them are stick, tig, mig machines.Some contractor will come in looking for a nice stick machine,and it will be calling his name.Rock thank's for the info.Scott

Comment

Scott, good thing you are selling it; otherwise you would use it and want to get rid of the others! I paid $22 for that remote on Ebay a month ago.

Comment

Maybe

Cope,if I was into stick welding I would probally keep it,so when I throw it in my truck I am not beating up my $4000 portable Thermal.The Powcon case is much tougher.My engine drive is a great stick welder,also Mk is too,and the powermig is no slouch.I like what the other can do more,like mig,mig pulse,ac/dc inverter tig.So I reached a point of totally too many machines for a one man show.Of course a 120 volt mig would be nice.That would mean I went full circle one more time!

One more thing Cope,I looking for one of those insane diehard Powcon fans to take this thing off my hands,so I don't become one myself.I have enough red welders.

Comment

Scott, if you lived in Houston, we would already be talking. Mine isn't really set up for TIG. No more welding than I do, though, 2 stick machines is enough for me. Did you get a chance to look at Arcon's website?

Comment

Working...
                              X