CNC Plasma Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Plasma Cutters

Has anyone here had any experience with a PlasmaCam or Torchmate or similar tables? They sure look attractive on their websites. I'd like to have one, but they are rare around here. Would have to hear from an owner before I spend that much. I would use it for art mostly, maybe make a few small parts. I'd have to sell a ton of art to justify it, but it's the old "boys and their toys" thing.
    Have you inventoried your property today?

There is a yahoo group that is devoted to the plasmacam. Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PIGINFO/ It would be cool to have but it is a pretty expensive toy.
    Art is dangerous!
    www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

I just ordered the video today.I've been reading the brochure for a week now so i called for a price.$8900 complete with the software,you supply the plasma and computer,I was shocked to see it that cheap so i am seriously considering it,the posobilities are endless.

Not that $8900 is a drop in the bucket for me but i certainly feel it's a sound investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arc Burn
        I just ordered the video today.I've been reading the brochure for a week now so i called for a price.$8900 complete with the software,you supply the plasma and computer,I was shocked to see it that cheap so i am seriously considering it,the posobilities are endless.

Not that $8900 is a drop in the bucket for me but i certainly feel it's a sound investment.
        I got the video over the weekend. Very impressive. Still kind of leary. Heard from some people about Dynacnc, placticalcnc, and about Plasmacam. Seems someone is always impressed with one and hates the other. So I don't know if they are salesmen on the board or actual owners. I have seen salesman hide on boards like this to put down other machines and promote their own. I AM CONFUSED

Comment

I think now the art marketplace is saturated with flat metal plasmacam cut-outs, so if you plan on using it for that, look around. If, however you plan to use it to create components for more complex pieces, it'd be a joy to have access to!! I use my hand held a lot, 'just wish I'd gotten the larger uniit so I could be slicing up some 1/4" when I wanted to. .
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by 5hconco
            I got the video over the weekend. Very impressive. Still kind of leary. Heard from some people about Dynacnc, placticalcnc, and about Plasmacam. Seems someone is always impressed with one and hates the other. So I don't know if they are salesmen on the board or actual owners. I have seen salesman hide on boards like this to put down other machines and promote their own. I AM CONFUSED
            I like all thee for different reasons. I still think the Dyna Cnc
            is the highest quality, most accurate little table going.
            It's also the only one of the three that you could use for
            routering (forget the claims). I am upgrading my Practical cnc table to
            Tom Caudle's THC and Mach 3. It will be shipped today or tomorrow.
            The Practical table needed help mostly in the area of software and the
            THC was and still is garbage. Practical and Dyna cnc use WinCnc
            as the control software. I have the highest respect for Dave Cress (Dyna)
            because he helped everybody with the Practical that wanted help.
            He is into quality!!!!!! He is up in Seattle and Boeing has bought
            his tables. I not sure if they are routering with them or plasma?
            Look at the type of rails the dyna uses. Big clue on how he thinks!!!!

I have no doubt which table I would by today.
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith O/A plus mini torch
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I just got a PCAM a few days ago, i think its worth every penny, but be prepared to spend weeks of just cutting test peices in order to find the sweet spot on each thickness you cut. I have yet to build a downdraft system for mine, but after only a few days, the dust is all over my shop, thats next weeks project.

Jim
              Lincoln Precision TIG 375
              Lincoln Power MIG 255
              Miller Elite Big Window
              www.jmfabrications.com

Comment

Working...
              X