Synchrowave 180 SD Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchrowave 180 SD Question

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2000 model Synchrowave 180 SD (S/N LA215885) in like new condition with everything except the bottle and no cart. Asking price is $1000. Mostly aluminum and stainless work will be done with this machine, mild steel will get hit with my MIG or the stick.

It does not have the digital guages or the ability to set pre and post flow, other than that, I think it is pretty much the same as the current model 180 SD. Is the ability to set pre and post flow worth buying new for the extra $500ish it would add?

Any idea on if this is a good price across the country? I have found no used units locally that come close to this price.

Thanks!

Ed

What a terrible deal!!! I suggest you let me have the name and contact info of this vicious villain so I can save you from such a terrible fate...

Obviously (hopefully) just kidding! Sounds like a good deal to me, unless the machine has seen production line use and is all beat up...
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

I know a guy who has one and loves it. Depends on how much $$ you have to spend. Rock can tell you if you can upgrade later at a reasonable figure.

Comment

I think it's a pretty good deal.The meters,and pre-post is not that big a deal.The biggest plus of a new model is the ability to change the wave balance.So if you can live without that last feature then go for it.You always can trade it in later.
        Ps-$900 is probally more like it.Tell him you can not live without the wave balance.
        Last edited by Scott V; 03-18-2003, 08:07 PM.

Comment

It kinda depends on what you'll be doing. I have the same machine, and would really prefer the newer model. If you do a lot of welding, you'll be going through gas like you wouldn't believe, since the post flow is something like 18 seconds!!!!!! Also, it'll only do to around 1/4" aluminum unless you pre-heat. It's really pretty good for steel and stainless though. Starts are pretty rough on AC because the lack of adjustability, but overall it's an good, dependable machine.
          Matt

Comment

Postflow

Matt,on my machine if I set its postflow less then than 15 seconds when doing most my welding the tungstens will turn colors.So it doesn't seem like thats way too much post flow.I tried around 10 seconds,and I did not like that setting very much.Also do you use a gas lens to cut back the cfh?

Comment

ROCK TAXI..............TALKED TO JEFF IN TIG AND WE CAN ADJUST THE POST FLOW TIME USEING A 1 MEG POT..............HOWEVER AT THE HIGHER AMPERAGES YOU WILL NEED THE ABILITY TO COOL THE TUNGESTON, MATERIAL ETC.............. YOU GET THE IDEA.... I LOOKED IN RECONDITIONED STOCK AND THEIR WERE NO SD180'S IN THERE.....................YOUR CALL ON THE PRICE AS ALWAYS IT IS YOUR MONEY AND YOUR CALL THERE.............ROCK
              [email protected]

Comment

Scott, the 180 is the only TIG I've ever used, so I never got a chance to play w/ post flow. Thanks for the info. It would be nice to have pre flow, but that's easily remedied. I just hate not being able to fine tune everything like I'd like. I do a lot of aluminum and some mag, and it'd sure be nice.

As far as a gas lens, I'd love to have one, but I use .040 - 1/8 tungsten regularly and it's pretty expensive to get a gas lens and all the collets & bodies replaced. Soon I hope though.
                Matt

Comment

Rock Taxi,

Couple thoughts.

A new 180sd could be at your door for less than $1,500. I have been pricing things recently because I am in the process of buying either a 180sd or something else. Wish I could decide what to do!

A new unit would have a three year warranty. It would have some new features, like meters, fan on demand, adaptive hot start for stick arc starts, selectable start control, arch hour counter, cycle counter...

Adjustable balance control might be the most important new feature.

Adjustable post flow control is also new. There is also "remote amperage for stick."

No, I am not smart enough to have figured this all out for myself. I got a chart somewhere...

Myself, I would be able to afford the difference in price and would value the warranty and the balance control enough to want the new model.

Your situation may be different...good luck in whatever you do.
                  Bill

Near Pgh, PA

Comment

Working...
                  X