Miller 185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 185

Dan,and anybody else that cares.I went ahead,and made the trade with my friend for my Lincoln sp175 for his Miller 185.He needed something small.By the way he is leaving the sp at my house until he needs it,which might be a year or two.He has about a 10 lbs of wire through his since he bought it new.It cleaned up really nice,and only has two small little battle scars.

I thought maybe I was going to trade it in because this welder never welded with .023 wire very good at all.I do a lot of thin stuff.The liner got damaged somewhere down the road,so I used a tweeco to miller adapter for a different setup.I took the gun off the sp175 Lincoln(magnun 100L),and tried welding with it.Boy it is like night,and day from the gun miller put on that thing.(M-15)this thing can weld really nice now.I tried .023 wire,and it welds great.It is a totally different welder now.I like it.Since I was messing with it I had to try spray arc with .030 wire,and 90/10 gas.It does it now,I tried the same thing before,and could not get it to go.The voltage tap was #6,and the wfs was between 55/65.It worked pretty good,but not something you would want to do much off with that gun setup.Atleast it can do it in a pinch if needed.That make it really kind of a neat little setup.The Sp175 could not spray with .030 wire.It was just a little short on volts.So it looks like Miller bought the wrong gun for that welder,and should of bought one made in the usa,maybe even from Lincoln or atleast the Hobart gun,with is real nice..I am going to try a new liner,but I really doubt if it will weld as nice as it does with the Lincoln gun.My friend at the welding store could never get any 185 to weld very good with .023 wire,and I could not ether.He told me it was not a feeding problem,this is the first time he has been wrong on info from him.After my powermig deal thats the first thing I check.The little Lincoln has the same length,and size wire liner,but it just works way better.Within its range I really doubt if the 210 could weld any better,I going to have to find that one out for myself.I kind of wonder how many people out there have stumbled on to this fix.She is a keeper now.
    Last edited by Scott V; 03-17-2003, 01:39 AM.

HEY SCOTT.........NOW THAT YOU LIKE THE 185 MAKE SOME ARANGEMENTS TO GO SEE A MM210........... THE GUN MANUFACTURED BY TRIGASKISS.....WAS FIRST ASSEMBLED IN DETROIT , THEN IN CANADA, THEN IN MEXICO, AND NOW BACK IN CANADA....................CHANGE LINERS AND RETRY THAT GUN..... IT IS NOT A BAD GUN................ I HAVE A M-25 ON MY 3045FC FEEDER THAT IS (THE LAST TIME I KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT IT) WORKING JUST FINE.......................GRIN............... SCOTT I'M ALWAYS INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY. AS IS MARKETING..............BECAUSE WE LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMERS......................................... .......................ROCK
    [email protected]

Comment

Tregaskiss is supposed to be the King Dog MIG gun.

Comment

Cope,one word(Benard),and another one for ease for parts is Tweeco.

Rock,I need something light weight,and the 210 is not it.My powermig covers everything else that might come up.I just wanted something in case my powermig is setup for aluminum,and I don't want to make the change over.

I would like to try the 210 anyway,just to see how it welds.

My gun is made in Canada.

Since,since Benard is one of your companys how about putting those on your welders?$$$$$$$

Rock,I was the first person to weld with the 185 when it was brand new,and it has never welded as nice as it does now with the little Lincoln gun.The arc is much more stable.With the wirefeed setup on the 185, it can't take anything out of wack before it shows up real fast.

Comment

Scott

You aren t going color blind on us are you ? The MM 185 isn t a yellow or red machine Im really depressed now, I had the funds ready to buy the machine from you. Yeah right, I would be in so much trouble if I were even to mention that I wanted another wirefeed machine. Now a TIG is a different story, because I fore warned the wife when I bought the Econotig that later a better unit was going to be purchased. Right now Im waiting to see how the Dynasty 200 performs.

Anyway,I have to admit that the M-15 gun is one thing that I don t really like about the MM 185. There is just something about the gun that makes it ackward feeling. However, I am getting use to it so, it is not as bad as it was when I first started using it.Now I do think that the M-10 (H-10) and M-25 are very good comfortable guns. Rock, will the M-25 gun assembly fit on the MM 185?

So far on mildsteel I ve only ran .035 wire on the MM 185 at work, and it makes some great looking short circuit transfer welds on 3/16" thick material.

In my opinion between the MM 210 and the MM 185, overall the MM210 is a slightly better machine. However, I am still very impressed with the arc quality of the MM 185. Remember though with my MM 210 Im able to produce a high quality spray transfer with .035 wire using 98/2.

The MM 210 has very stable short circuit transfer arc with .030 & .035 wire. I haven t tried .023 wire because I don t really have any use for it. However, I might just have to break down and buy a roll just to see how it does. But then again I would also have to buy the drive roll. So the .023 experiment probably won t happen. Besides the fact that my HH 175 does a great job with the .023 wire and it allows me to run the smaller 4" spool of wire so that I don t have a large spool laying around that I seldomly use.

The one comparison between the MM 210 & MM 185 that I eventually plan to do is stainless steel short circuit transfer with an .030 308L-Si wire and a He/AR/Co2 trimix.

Well, you finally have a Blue machine in your arsenal, so I guess you are not that bad of a guy after all . Just having some fun with you.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan,those other guns will work works.The .030 welding with the little lincoln gun is much better also.I do notice that the tip to work is a little more important than with the sp175,the 185 is fine if you pay a little more attention to that.Overall though it's a nice unit.I like the little hobart gun they put on my MM130xp much better than the M15.I lke the feel better than the lincoln also,but with the Lincoln you use all Tweeco parts which is very handy for tips,liners.The back end of the little migs(130) is smaller then on the 185/210/250. I haven't checked the 135/175 Millers yet.

Dan,the 210 is better than the 185 in many ways,and if you had only one machine it would be that one.I really like the 185 for the lighter weight for moving it out,and about by myself.
            Last edited by Scott V; 03-17-2003, 11:30 AM.

Comment

HI DAN...............I WILL HAVE ONE OF MY SECRET AGENTS ANSWER,.......... THIS IS THEIR SPECIALTY AREA.......... IT'S BEEN MORE THAN A YEAR SINCE I'VE BEEN AT LIGHT INDUSTRIAL....MY GUESS IS YES BECAUSE ALL MILLER GUNS HAVE A MILLER BACK END ON THEM,........ BUT YOU KNOW HOW THE MEMORY CELLS ARE THESE DAYS...................................HAVE SOME FUN WITH SCOTT NOW........ I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE COLOR BLIND..........................THAT IS THE TRUTH, BROWNS, YELLOW, GREENS,........................NO FUN THERE......................ROCK
              [email protected]

Comment

The M25 gun will work on the MM185. What I absolutely do not understand is why does the M25 mig gun in your opinion feel better than the M15 gun? The actual handle, the plastic piece, is the exact same. Is it the balance of the actual gun? The big difference in the guns are thier amperage rating.

Please let us know. We here at Miller Electric and Hobart are always open to suggestions.

MikeG

Comment

Scott, I'm happy with my Tweco#1.

Comment

Working...
                  X