Xmt 304 CC/CV with no Aux power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmt 304 CC/CV with no Aux power

and a SP-22A wire feeder for 1K $. It looks like new. Compared to the new price the welder is a great deal, my question is can anyone tell me are they a good machine combo?

From all the messages on the board, I have been saving up for a MM251 with a spool gun. Now I have run across this at a bankruptcy. I do not want to waste what I have saved towards the MM251 and get a machine I will be uphappy with. Options?

Additionally, if I understand correctly, when using a MIG ( which I really have not done yet ), one can use the bare gas shield wire for ~3/16 and below, but needs to use flux core for thicker material otherwise one does not get good penetration. My question is why?

Thx's, Fred.

I use bare and gas for everything. So far havnt had a problem but am not in a production facility like railway car production or something and on special alloys. For general fab and maint it is fine and lots easier. I think the word penetration is highly overused in this industry. Often actual penetration is determined by joint design. Fusion might be a better word.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-15-2003, 11:29 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

What year is that machine?If it is a fairly late model,you better run,and not walk to get it.I think you will be fine if it is not the plastic case model.I would take one of those setups over anything Miller has out,as far as all in one units go.

As far as solid wire you can weld in the spray-arc mode,and really get some thick metal welded.In the short-arc mode,there is no reason you can't weld 0.250 in a single pass.

I think if you looked at the 251,and the xmt 304,and feeder,side by side,you would be thowing your money away if you bought the 251.

I think the early plastic case ones are the 300 something models,and I have talked to a couple owers.and they were not happy.I only heard pretty good things about the 304 xmt.

Seems like Mike Sherman at this site said those are one of his favorite welders.Maybe ask him?

Comment

At the risk of sounding really dumb,, but how do you set a feeder to spray arc? Just never did it, have been short arc all these years and feel totally inadequate here listing to this. It really never occured to me there was another way really, or at least not enough to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry27
          At the risk of sounding really dumb,, but how do you set a feeder to spray arc? Just never did it, have been short arc all these years and feel totally inadequate here listing to this. It really never occured to me there was another way really, or at least not enough to investigate.
          Sberry27

Don t ever feel that you are dumb for asking a question. That is one of the purposes for this site.

Spray transfer is produced by using a high voltage, and high wire speed setting with a shielding gas that contains a minimum of 80% argon and the remainder is CO2 or oxygen. However the oxygen content should not exceed 5%. For the shielding gas though 90% - 98% argon and the remainder being Co2 or Oxygen produces the best mode of metal transfer. My personal preference is a mixture of 98% argon/ 2% oxy. A few other common mixtures include 90% argon 10% co2, 95% argon 5% oxygen, and 98% argon/ 2% co2. The smallest power source that I have been able to produce spray transfer with so far is my MM 210 using an .035 wire. An example of the welding parameters for .035 wire for 1/4" steel would be some thing like 26 to 27 load volts and 400 to 420 IPM on the wire speed. The puddle in this mode of metal transfer is quite fluid so it is limited the flat position on butt joints and the flat and horizontal position on fillet welds.

If you need to go out of position on heavier steel then an all position gas shielded fluxcore wire is a very good choice. It requires the same size power source as spray transfer. The shielding gas used for this wire is either going to be C25 or Co2 the manufacturers literature on the wire will state which gas to use. Penetration produced by this wire is as goog as or maybe even better then spray transfer.

Hope I have helped answer your question. If you need more info just ask.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Fred

You can weld thicker then 3/16" with a solid wire. The thickness of material that you can weld with a solid wire depends on the mode of GMAW metal transfer that you use. 3/16 and thinner is general done in short circuit transfer with C25 or Co2 shielding gas. This is the mode of transfer were you get the frying bacon sound. 1/4" and thicker can be welded using globular transfer with C25 or CO2 shielding gas. However there is a lot of spatter in this mode of transfer. Now the preferred mode of metal transfer for 1/4" and thicker steel is spray transfer. To produce this metal transfer you need an argon rich shielding gas, and if you read the post that I left for Sberry27 in this thread I give some brief info on the shielding required. Along with this shielding gas you also need a large enough power source. Yes a MM 251 is a large enough power source. So you know though globular and spray transfer produce a fluid puddle so they have limits to the position that they can be used in. Butt joints are limited to the flat position and fillets are limited to flat and horizontal.
            Last edited by Dan; 03-15-2003, 12:58 PM.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Re: Xmt 304 CC/CV with no Aux power

Originally posted by Fred Bryant
              and a SP-22A wire feeder for 1K $. It looks like new. Compared to the new price the welder is a great deal, my question is can anyone tell me are they a good machine combo?

From all the messages on the board, I have been saving up for a MM251 with a spool gun. Now I have run across this at a bankruptcy. I do not want to waste what I have saved towards the MM251 and get a machine I will be uphappy with. Options?

Additionally, if I understand correctly, when using a MIG ( which I really have not done yet ), one can use the bare gas shield wire for ~3/16 and below, but needs to use flux core for thicker material otherwise one does not get good penetration. My question is why?

Thx's, Fred.
              Grab that machine for $1k great deal...you could sell it for twice that! Or trade it in on your 251!

Comment

I am doing repairs and light fab and all position so it doesnt sound like spray would be very helpful for me,,, maybe I read that somewhere long ago and that is why I didnt look into it. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Dan, with my PowCon and C-25, I can spray with .035. If I'm not careful it will gouge out the metal, but if set correctly it produces a nice weld with plenty of penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by cope
                    Dan, with my PowCon and C-25, I can spray with .035. If I'm not careful it will gouge out the metal, but if set correctly it produces a nice weld with plenty of penetration.
                    Cope

If your machine has a high enough output voltage I don t dought that a spray like transfer is possible with .035 wire and C25. My MM 250 that I use at work outputs a maximum of 30 load volts, and if set this at maximum and the wire around 410 to 420 IPM I can get a spray like transfer with some spatter though. The metal transfer isn t as smooth as if I was using 98/2, but it works for when Im welding on a project that may require some short circuit transfer welding too. The boss wouldn t be happy If I kept switching shielding gases. By the way how high of a load voltage can your machine output? Any idea what voltage output you are using to produce this.

Cope

I just don t generally mention C25 because it requires a pretty high load voltage to produce a stable spray transfer, and most machines that people have on this site won t reach the necessary voltage.I m not certain but I think the newer MM 250 series machines only reach 28 volts.Which is plenty of voltage for 98/2. Also, as you have stated you can have difficult time with under cutting especially on the vertical leg of a T joint. This is a characteristic of the high arc voltage for the size of wire being used. This is why I always recommend 98/2 because it lowers the load voltage quite a bit and produces a extremely stable spray transfer. Also, the puddle wets out very well so undercutting almost never occurs if the weldor knows what they are doing.

By the way since you brought the topic up I think I ll post a picture of a weld produced using C25 as the shielding gas with spray transfer settings. I know I ve posted it before but we have an extremely high number of new members who might not have seen it.
                    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM.

PM 180C

Comment

Spray is no good with light metal. Metal shsould be at least 10ga. I generally don't spray anything under 3/16. As far as spraying with c25, you will get a lot of spatter. Try some 90-8-2 and you'll see what I mean.
                      D. Paulson

Comment

Fred, I doubt you could be unhappy with the machine , especially since you have MIG/TIG/Stick capability. Another benefit is the inverter will be much lighter and more compact than a transformer machine.

Comment

Inverter/Transformer Welder

Yea the light weight of an inverter makes it easier to move around but the extra 450 lbs of a transformer machine makes it alot harder to thieve On the serious side it does sound like a good deal
                          Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Properly set pulser used with spray transfer makes thin metal and out of flat position welds possable in spray transfer mode.

Comment

FRED BRYANT..........WELL GET ME A SERIAL NUMBER AND I WILL SUPPLY AGE , OR BORN ON DATE IF YOU PREFER THAT SENERIO.... I HAVE A FRIEND WHO RUNS ONE OFF OF A BOBCAT......... YAHOO I CAN TELL YOU HE IS HAPPY WITH IT.................SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL TO ME..............MIGHT WANT TO EXPEDIATE THIS ONE. BUT AS ALWAYS IT IS YOUR MONEY.....................AND YOUR DECISION.....XMT304 IS STILL IN PRODUCTION...........LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDED.......................ROCK
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X