Old Hobart welder, trailer, generator combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Hobart welder, trailer, generator combo

Year about 1962. Old school!!!. Electric start and hand crank, Very excellent condition. Any info or a direction to find info would be apppreciated. Thanks.

Model G-235 1954 (?) Serial# AAW-48002

see attached pics
    Last edited by twoyotas; 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM. Reason: More Info

Any chance you could post a picture?

Comment

I'll go take a pic and post it this evening. Pacific Standard Time. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

when welding with this machine, always pull the throttle to the high speed position.
        welds can be made with engine running slower, but commutator will over heat due to reduced air flow at lower speed.
        over heat will ruin the solder joints at the commutator, thus requiring the repair of the generator end.
        this is a common problem with this machine.
        also, even though the aux. voltage is rated at 3 kw for a.c., i wouldn't run much more than a chop saw or a few work lights on it.
        run the a.c. appliances with the engine at high speed also.the solder connections for the slip rings will go away even faster than the ones on the commutator.
        the wisconsin engine has no oil filter, only a screen on the pump. change oil every 50 hours, use straight 30w lawn mower oil. exhaust valves have stellite seats, so no worry over the use of no-lead fuel.
        this machine has some nice arc charactoristics, and will run 6010 with out much problem.
        happy welding.
        work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

twoyotas,

You should be able to obtain a manual by contacting our literature department at 920-735-4356. Also, When using auxilary power run the uit at 1800RPM as this will produce 60Hz 115V power. Weld at the 2200 RPM setting as this produces a much smoother arc and higher voltages and currents.

Regards,
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Heimbach
            when welding with this machine, always pull the throttle to the high speed position.
            welds can be made with engine running slower, but commutator will over heat due to reduced air flow at lower speed.
            over heat will ruin the solder joints at the commutator, thus requiring the repair of the generator end.
            this is a common problem with this machine.
            ....happy welding.
            To fix this problem cost more than it would to but a brand new one, unfortunately.
            The trailer looks good. I like a compact unit.
            Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
            Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
            IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
            IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

sorry keith, i'll have to pull rank on you.(age&experience)
              try to get full rated aux. volts on this type of machine at 1800 rpm will give you nothing but headaches (and a much lighter wallet).
              leave the switch for aux. power at the setting for 'power while welding'. run the engine at 2200 rpm. don't use any appliances that require 60 hz. (read brush type motors only here,or pure resistance loads, like incandescant bulbs)
              i've had many of these machines fail at the connector wire from the commutator to the slip rings. all the load falls on two soldered connections at the commutator. 3kw is just two much for the connections, if run at 1800 rpm.
              60 hz can be obtained at 1800 rpm if the load is not too great, maybe 1500 watts.
              just be sure the switch for the aux. voltage is in the position corresponding with the speed being run.
              in the early '80s i had seven of these welders with the wisconsin two cylinder engine at the shop where i was employed.
              one was a 1956, or 1958 model, straight dc machine(no ac aux.) this was a trouble-free welder
              the other six were of newer vintages, with the ac aux. some were direct start, using two 12 volt batteries in series across the welding generator for starting.
              others had a conventional starting motor on the flywheel of the engine.
              all six gave trouble on the ac. aux. voltage.
              if only one operator ran each welder, we may not have had as many problems.
              this is not a bad welder,just know it's limits.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Thanks for all the input you all have been very helpful.

Any idea where I might be able to find someone who might want it.
                Last edited by twoyotas; 03-28-2005, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Put it on Ebay!
                  Trent
                  Building my wife's fortune - one machine at a time!
                  Bobcat 250, MM210 w/3545 spoolgun, HH135, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC w/HF251, Red AC/DC tombstone, Victor SRII

Comment

hey twoyotas,
                    i hope i didn't scare you. don't look to unload this machine, use it.
                    you can get more modern units, with all of the bells and whistles,ect. but they will most likely be alternator machines.
                    yours is pure generator.as far as the welding end goes.
                    most pipewelders prefer a generator over an alternator, and as pipe welding is a most exacting process, what is good for them should be more than acceptable for the average 'hobbiest' welder.
                    also, the engine is an unbelieveably stout unit. with proper maintenance it will last three or four times as long as the aluminum engines (onan,ect) which are standard today.
                    use it, you will probably like it.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Repair maual

I have a copy of the original Wisconsin Robin Repair Manual for THD model motors, this is the model motor used on these Hobart G-235 machines. The manual is in PDF format and emailable!

Comment

ed h sure knows his buss, i,m impressed !

that is such a cool looking rig,with the big rubber and all! congrats. use and enjoy it. i bought a dump truck, and 2 mech. said sell that cat engine is trouble.

it,s a great truck and i loce it! good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X