Problem with Spectrum 375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Spectrum 375

Question: INSIDE of my Spectrum 375, I've started hearing the sound of escaping compressed air. It happens about 75% of the time, doesn't matter if power is on or not. Sometimes I can hook air up and it won't leak at all for a few minutes, then it starts all by itself. It's just started doing this over the last couple of days.

This doesn't appear to affect the function of the box, but I know it's not right.

I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet, but anybody have any insights on this one?
    It's all fun and games until somebody gets shot in the leg. -- Armageddon

Re: Problem with Spectrum 375

Originally posted by bluesman2a
    anybody have any insights on this one?
    Yeah, you should have bought Hypertherm!! Just kidding. I hope someone here can help you and from what I have seen on this forum they will bend over backwards to do whatever they can.
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Comment

I went with the company who has the best support in my area. I couldn't even FIND a hypertherm dealer in my area, much less one that would compete with price. Plus I pick up my Miller supplies at their depot about 5 miles from my house. Plus Miller has these neat expos where they send a cool semi loaded with all kinds of experts and toys to their depot which is about 5 miles from my house. Now your mileage may vary, but so far the Miller has been great for me, and it's still under warranty.

Besides, if we were to compare the two units side by side, I think you might be shocked to find...

I know they cannot inter-change the consumables, but Miller even uses the same torch...

Comment

I was just busting your stones since I just purchased the Hypertherm 380. If I ever have a problem with it you can pull this from the archives. Actually, I was close to buying the Miller PC, but couldn't beat the deal on the Powermax 380 I got and I have decent support locally.

I hope you all the best with it.
        AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
        Miller MM210--now X2
        Hypertherm 380
        Miller autodark hood

Comment

Oh, I understand, and no offense taken. But a lot of folks don't understand when I'm dropping a grand+/- on a tool, there are a LOT of factors you should think about. I'm sure Miller will make me happy in the end, just as I'm sure that hypertherm will treat you right in your area.

Comment

Hello bluesman2a. I might be able to help. I got a new Hypertherm 380 a few months ago. When I pluged up the air line I could hear air coming from inside the unit. I took the cover off and the air fitting coming out of the air filter port was not tightened enough. It was real easy to tighen it up. Since then it has worked like a charm.
            I checked both the H 380 and the M 375 over and they both look like very well built plasma cutters. Actually I'll tell you a little story about today. I was at my welding supplier today and we were talking about the new cutters on the market. He was telling me how they all claim to be better than the Miller Cutters but the best Plasma cutter they've ever owned and still use is a older Miller. He said it has given then less problems then any others they've had. This is a family welding shop and they've been around forever. I bet you will really like that M 375 cutter. Good luck.
            Last edited by Steve W; 03-16-2003, 09:26 AM.
            Steve W

Millermatic 211i
            Hypertherm Powermax 380
            Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
            Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
            Victor O/A torch setup
            Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Since,you guys all made up,I thought I tell you guys the best one in that class is the Thermal-dynamics cutmaster 38.That said if you can't get support,It doesn't mean much.Hardly anybody carrys hypertherm stuff at all.In the bigger portables the 90 amp esab kicks the stuffing out of all the rest.

Comment

BLUESMAN2...............WELL DID WHAT DANV SUGGESTED HELP YOU OUT OR NOT................HE IS ANOTHER ONE OF MY SECRET AGENTS................................WE JUST HAD A CONVERSATION AND HE SAID HE REPLIED DIRECTLY TO YOU.....................ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Hey Rock,

Dan suggested that I take it to a service center. Before I do that, I want to at least look at what the issue MIGHT be. I would feel awful stupid for taking it in for a loose fitting.

Question: if I find the issue and call support, is it SOP for them to be able to get me parts to fix it (if it is a regulator), since it's still under warranty?

Comment

BLUESMAN2A................THIS IS SERVICE, WE CAN HELP, YES IF YOUR CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE REPAIR WE CAN TELL......... PARTS CAN BE SHIPPED................I THINK IF YOU UNPLUG THE MACHINE AND LOOK AT THE AIR LINE DAN WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT THAT WILL BE WHERE YOUR PROBLEM IS..........IT IS EITHER THE CONNECTOR OR THE LINE...........THIS IS NOT A MAJOR DEAL TO REPAIR................HAHAHA.....EVEN I CAN DO THIS ONE ...........................LET US KNOW.......................ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Hehe you THE MAN Rock! Would a four year degree in electronics with a minor in computer science suffice for qualification?

Not only that, but I've done phone support my self for YEARS, so I follow directions REAL WELL!

I'll probably get a chance to take the cover off this weekend sometime, thank you sir!

Comment

BLUESMAN2...............YOU DON'T HALFT TO CALL ME SIR I'M NOT IN THE MILITARY ANYMORE.................... .......... WELL ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A JOB WE'RE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ENGINEERS.......... ..................BE SAFE NOW.....................
                        ROCK...........[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X