special rod for broken bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weldingrodd
    I dont know about any super stuff but i do from experience that a great way to remove a broken stud(bolt) is to take and clean area where broken stud is with a wire brush and taking a nut that would fit the threads of broken piece or slightly larger and lay the new nut over broken stud and either with a small diameter rod or a Mig and fill weldthe inside of nut to whats left of stud and wait a couple minutes to cool and 9 times out of 10 you can easily spin out broken stud..No magic powder no expensive rod just plain old maintenace welding...Lager bolt diameter better chance for a sucessfull weld.
    This works well on heavy trucks to get out broken studs which happens a lot
    I would just add one more thing that helps. Make a thin cardboard washer to fit under the nut, ground on whatever you are taking the broken bolt out of, and weld away. This will burn up while welding and provide some space so that the bolt will not refreeze with shrinkage if you don't get it out fast enough.

Comment

Messer MG600 is the only rod I've ever used that almost guarantees successful broken bolt removal, even when the bolt or stud is far down a threaded hole.

Tried regular MIG wire, 6013 &7018 electrodes, etc. Failure rate well over 60%. With MG600, failure rate is less than 10%. This includes tough-to-remove exhaust manifold bolts, already broken off flush or below flush.

I average two or three of these each week, so they are a good source of income. To me, the advantage of MG600 over Super Missleweld is that the Messer product comes in 2# tubes, the Harris product is 10# minimum.

Two pounds lasts about six months for me. I always charge by the job, not by the hour, on bolt & stud removal. It is fast, easy & profitable.
      Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
      HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
      Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Just a thought. I'm looking at pulling off a rusty exhaust, and don't want to mess with broken bolts (one of the reasons it's not already done). Using the reasoning presented here, do you thing that if I drop a arc on the bold heads before I snap them off, they might come free without breaking? Obviously they'll be replaced anyways, as a matter of course. My alternative is a brazing torch, and my butthole starts doing callisthenics at the idea of open flame under a car on ramps.
        For off topic conversations, discussions, rants, or even a dirty joke or two, click here

Comment

The heat on the unbroken bolt head surely won't hurt & probably will help. To REALLY heat the bolt, weld the largest hex nut available onto the head. When you're finished welding the nut on, it will be glowing a bright red & that heat will transfer through the bolt to the threads.

The welded nut concentrates the heat much better than a brazing torch flame.
          Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
          HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
          Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Sneaky. I like it.
            For off topic conversations, discussions, rants, or even a dirty joke or two, click here

Comment

Originally posted by hooohaa2
              My father in law just told me about a rod he has heard of with which you can build up metal on the top of a broken bolt, then jam the rod down into the built up weld, remove the rod and some how attach a hex head to the bolt. What is the name of this product and who sells it?

ive heard of something similar to this
              my welding teacher called it a build up rod where you could just keep welding over the welds and ir would build up the metal

i would guess after it was build up enough you could cut a slot for a flat head screw driver...
              Be sure to check out my ebay items:
              http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZmoody07748
              NOW AN EBAY STORE!!!

Comment

I found a video on YouTube of one being used

Bolt extraction Rod In Use

https://youtu.be/I7OHWuWNv8I

Comment

Working...
                X