Mig Gun Flux Core Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I like Mike Sherman's definition of spray transfer better than locking in requirment of more than 80% Argon shielding gas making fluxcore spray transfer impossible with recomended shielding gas. That is why many people call fluxcore wire's spray transfer near spray when it meets all requirments but sheilding gas used.

Mike where did you get that definition of spray transfer?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sherman
    replied
    There are three gasless fluxcore wires that do not require straight polarity, they are EXXT-3, EXXT-4, EXXT-6. Most flux cores do in fact run in a true spray transfer mode, the rest run in a globular mode. The major difference in the two is the size of the molten wire that crosses the gulf between the wire and the work. Spray transfer is smaller than the wire and globular is larger. You should not run them in a short circuit mode. Too much spatter and poor penetration.

Leave a comment:

• rangerod
    replied
    Mig Gun Flux Core

I have a 300 amp mig gun & my power supply pushes 225 amps max. Thanx for the info

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you're not going to spray transfer, then no. If you are, the tip must be recessed 1/8" by using either a short contact tip or a longer extended nozzle. Don't forget to change polarity if you're running gasless. Then as Roger says, you can remove the nozzle for better vision.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What size weldor are you useing?
    The small tweco mig guns used with Lincoln's 175 & smaller mig welders have bakalite insulator that can replace nozzle when using fluxcore wire. Shielding gas flow helps cool nozzle. So will overheat torch and nozzle faster without gas flow but not a problem with small welders' limited duty cycle. I often remove nozzle to remove visual obstruction. With nozzle removed you can arc to side of gas diffuser and contact tip if not carerful.

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Depends on the wire size,and if you have the voltage way up,and your gun size.gas with flux-core has a real wide spraying voltage range more than solid wire.Also sprays way lower most of the time.Some people say it's not a spray,but if it is not,it's doing something that looks like a spray.

Leave a comment:

• rangerod
    started a topic Mig Gun Flux Core Prep

Mig Gun Flux Core Prep

Is there any changes I have to make to my tweeco mig gun before I use flux core in it. What I am concerned with is any parts that I should remove so they don't get damaged while using flux core. Does it not create more heat in the gun than solid wire? Any help would be appreciated
Working...
X