No announcement yet.

cutting aliminum with chop saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just cut a piece of 1/4 inch plate with a circular saw. Huh? What's that? I can't hear you. I'll be cuttin' a lot of Al this way from now on. Carbide has no equal! That worked pretty slick. I used a blade with a lot of teeth.
    d.
    I don't care what size, just hand me a wrench I'm gonna use it as a hammer.

Comment

I have a friend that used to work for a company that repaired aircraft parts. They would use a circular saw to cut thick sheets of Al, like 3/4" or more. They would buy the cheapy Skil brand saws and use the blade that came on them. He said it worked great. I'm too chicken to try it.

Jeff

Comment

Carbide blades in circular saws and chop saws will cut aluminum just fine. Ask any aluminum boat yard, a common practice. However, the noise is terrible, the chips are hot, and the blades will start shedding the carbide teeth as they get tired. These really sting!!

There are speciality blades for cutting aluminum, and they are more expensive, but work better and quieter. The difference is the angle of the teeth. If you were to draw a line along the edge of a tooth on a woodcutting blade towards the center, it would be angled away from the center, the metal cutter will have the tooth edge running through (or nearly so) the center of the blade.

A good aluminum cutting fluid or WD40 will make any cutting, drilling, tapping task easier, but contamination for welding is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel
          Just cut a piece of 1/4 inch plate with a circular saw. Huh? What's that? I can't hear you. I'll be cuttin' a lot of Al this way from now on. Carbide has no equal! That worked pretty slick. I used a blade with a lot of teeth.
          d.
          Whats that you say??? My chop saw's got my hearing organs numb too. LOL Good one Diesel!!!
          Nothing is as easy as it ought to be!

Comment

Old thread but joined in to post an easy answer. I work at wood shop and we use BLUE TAPE for aluminum cutting. Tape the bar/angle/plate on both sides, and simply use a carbide tipped CROSS cutting blade.
            That said I would not recommend this to somebody that’s not familiar with power tools and/or chop boxes.
            Aluminum sheet can be ripped on a table saw using the same blue tape ploy.
            For those willing to try and just go slow and you’ll be surprised how well the blue tape lubricates the cut.

btw, any glass shop nearby? Peak in the door someday — they use typical wood moulding chop box setups for cutting Alum angle. No they don’t use blue tape but I’m sure they have good quality aluminum cutting blades.
            Last edited by DIYDOUG; 07-03-2018, 12:15 AM.

Comment

just buy good blade for wood with as many as possible theet on it and dont forget put hand soap on carbid tips to prevent sticking aluminium to it

Comment

Working...
              X