ESAB Multimaster 260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESAB Multimaster 260

As I have been talking about a TIG for a while, I have some more questions. I was looking at the ESAB Multimaster 260 on Cyberweld and see a price under 2G. Now I'm really confused, as similar machines in the other major brands are alot more money. Is there something I am missing? Why is this machine so much cheaper than the others? Is it poorly made? What's up? I see a machine here that can do mig, stick, and tig. Now I wonder why I shouldn't buy one when I get the cash together. Please enlighten me, someone.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Arbo,there is nothing missing,I haven't welded with that one,but my friend that I trust has welded with both versions of it.Make sure it is the black face machine,and not the early tan,or they call gray front machine.You cannot add pulse to that machine.Get the inductance control the first thing you do,about 200.00,also the pulse is about the same.Great feedback from the people that have bought it.I like it alot.

Comment

OK, What does the inductance control do for me?
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
      The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

I also have looked at the multimaster 260 as a catch-all for my hobby welding. Perhaps one machine could meet multiple purposes. I have heard conflicting opinions as to these machines. One salesperson said they are DC only and as such would be unable to TIG weld aluminum. Another said it could tig weld aluminum but would require welder expertise. A third said that the scratch start mode in TIG would be less favorable then the typical TIG style. I have seen a multimaster 260 for $1950 and $2550 with spoolgun. How do the additional foot control, pulse, & inductance modules come into play? Are they required for MIG and TIG or just beneficial to either or both. As you may notice I am a DIYer and not a skilled welder. All feedback appreciated. -Bill

Comment

First off the inductance can make you puddle more fluid for welding stainless steel,or make the arc more agressive,or soft.You really need a spoolgun for welding aluminum with that machine.Don't waste you time with dc tig aluminum.The pulse is nice for slowing down the travel speed a little when welding aluminum with the spoolgun,also for other things.I am pretty sure that machine has lift arc dc tig.They have more control options for that machine,but I haven't did the homework like I usually do.The foot control really helps you control the current to get the puddle wet fast,and to back off the current when things get warm.I have seen the machine for under $1800.00 so look around.All I know people who have bought that machine are real happy with its stick,tig,and mig.My friend at the welding store knows this machine real well,but he is on vacation.There is nothing close to its perfomance at that price.I would by that machine if the powermig 300 wasn't such a great aluminum welding machine,but starting at around 3000.00 without anything to weld aluminum,and climbing past $5000.00 with the best setup. you can see why the esab looks good.It has a lot of quality built in that machine.To me in a lot of ways better than the powermig 300.

Comment

I also have looked at the multimaster 260 as a catch-all for my hobby welding. Perhaps one machine could meet multiple purposes. I have heard conflicting opinions as to these machines. One salesperson said they are DC only and as such would be unable to TIG weld aluminum. Another said it could tig weld aluminum but would require welder expertise. A third said that the scratch start mode in TIG would be less favorable then the typical TIG style. I have seen a multimaster 260 for $1950 and $2550 with spoolgun. How do the additional foot control, pulse, & inductance modules come into play? Are they required for MIG and TIG or just beneficial to either or both. As you may notice I am a DIYer and not a skilled welder. All feedback appreciated. -Bill

Comment

Scott & all, sorry for double posting, perhaps one too many clicks. Scott do you have a local source for that price in Oregon? With my lack of skill in welding I would prefer to buy from a shop that can answer a question or two as problems are encountered. I'll look forward to hearing more details as your friend may share upon his return from vacation. My hope would be to make a well informed decision and live with the machine for many years. -Bill

Comment

For Bill H,and Arbo depending on shipping this is a killer deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34099

Comment

Price

Bill H,the price of the 260 is now about $1850.00 so I was a little off.You can email me if you want my friends number so you can get more info if needed.He will tell you more than I can about that machine,and others if you want.It won't hurt to get more info,thats what I alway do,and I haven't been burned yet.Atleast on new stuff.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X