Opinions on an old gas powered Hobart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on an old gas powered Hobart

I saw an ad for a Hobart gas powered DC welder (with a cart) this afternoon for $300. I talked to the seller and he says it's a "GO-244" with an Onan motor and that it works fine. It is supposedly from the 1970s and is roughly 3'x1.5'x1.5'. I have so far found zero references to such a thing online; maybe it says "GC-244" and he misread it. I see that there is a G250 that appears to be well regarded on the forums here. Anyway, there's no way to tell until I see it.

Right now I only have an AC225 buzzbox. This unit catches my eye because it's DC (obviously) and the fact that it's gas powered means I don't have to worry about powering it in some non-standard way like a dryer outlet.

So does this unit sound like it's worth the 2 hours it will take to drive to the [very] bad neighborhood where it's located? Once I get it home, will it be usable in a non-industrial (ie. suburban garage/backyard) setting?
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 & Idealarc 300/300 TIG || Millermatic 35 + Airco wire feeder

For $300 I would get it. Onan is good but parts are pricey.
    What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

IMHO I think you will regret that purchase. The older Onans did not have a ball bearing supported PTO shaft and the insert bearing was the first to go. The cost of overhauling that puppy will be at least tree times the asking price. The sign is heavy oil deposit at the rear of the engine. Also be leery if that area is very clean.

Also, I would question whether it it is DC. Have you seen the data plate. Might be a AC welder/ generator.

I speak from experience. I have two welders that had Onans. They are now powered with Kohlers.

I will say this before I am flamed. The later model Onans had a ball bearing supported PTO saft on welders. They can handle the heavy weight of the armature.

Comment

hmhoek,

The unit should be a DC generator design. If you have the SPEC# of the unit I can do some more research on it for you.

Keith

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Unless it's been sold I'm going to look at it saturday morning. In that case be on the lookout for my upcoming "how do I fix this broken old POS" thread.

Does anyone have a picture of a machine of similar vintage? Also, does a list of Hobart model/SPEC numbers through the ages exist? I searched google for a good long time today and found very few reference to G-series units. This is one thing Lincoln does really well- they have owners manuals available for stuff going back decades.
          Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 & Idealarc 300/300 TIG || Millermatic 35 + Airco wire feeder

Comment

I have an old Onan generator that is still going strong. I used to work at a site that had the same generator with over 2000 hours on it. It was still working.
            What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Working...
            X