No announcement yet.

Airforce 250 a plasma,Anybody got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airforce 250 a plasma,Anybody got one?

Looking at this plasma cutter because of the built in air and portability,it would only be used on thinner steel say up to 3/16-1/4 and SS and Alum.,i realize you should buy as big as you can but i don't like the idea of dragging a compressor and hoses around,i have enough shXX stretched out at jobs as it is,so aside from the obvious "go bigger"suggestions,does anyone have this unit and what do you think about it? Thanks

This is a good unit for Sheet metal but if you are planing to do 3/16 and 1/4 alot I would advise getting the Airforce 400 which will do 3/8 all you want. The 250a with the compressor built in just doesnt have enough push for the thicker stuff. But it is great for the auto body work and thin gage material.
    Thanks
    Dave Evans

Comment

Dave,
      Question, the smaller plasma cutters with compressor, do they have a external connection for an outside air source?
      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Thanks Dave,just used a ThermaDyne at my dealer today,they were able to "show" me rather than explain why the bigger units are better,I'm just thick headed i guess!I knew the bigger unit would probably be better and the price difference between them make it a no brainer,bigger it is

Comment

I found out the same thing. After trying out the Hypertherm 190 at the local BOC dealer I realized I would need more of a machine. Soon (I hope) I will be ordering the Thermo-Dynamics Cutmaster 38.

Good Luck
          Bob
          Short Term Memory GONE!!
          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
          Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

LOL,Bob,the cutmaster 38 is the same machine i used!It made the smaller one look like toys!My dealer quoted me $1100. I have been looking for other prices but haven't seen them,i know this dealer has saved me alot of money in the past on all my welders so i guess thats a decent price.

Comment

Cutmaster 38

Thats a very good price,I bet it's about 5% over his cost if that.That is the only 120/240 volt plasma to buy at this time.Thats only counting it's cutting performance.Thats kind of the way I judge plasma cutters,not if I saved a little.Going by price alone is a very bad habit in welding stuff.Sometimes, just a little bit more gets you a big improvement in how easy it works for you.
              Get the Thermal and don't look back,because all you will see is all the rest trying to gain on it.Which will be a while before they can compete with that machine.

Comment

My dealer always tells me he uses about a 5% markup over his cost,so i don't question him!They are great guys,excellent service,price and availability.I never leave without getting something for free wether it be tips for a welder,lenses for my auto helmet,gloves,Today i bought some wire and got a Lincoln Racing Electric banner,pretty cool aye?They also said Thermal is THE company to beat when it comes to plasma so i believe thats the route i will take.Thanks for the help!

Comment

Arc Burn,sounds like my dealer.One other point,the gun on the thermal is real nice that it is the same on all their machines.The guy at the welding store told me they just take different guts.So that torch with the right stuff in it will take 100 amps,kind of a overkill in a good way.If my 80 amp esab torch went belly up,it would have that torch in about a heartbeat.You also can add a twenty amp tip for a real fine kerf if needed.

Comment

AL T. you can get the Airforce 250 without the compressor and yes it does cut alot better. As far as I know you can NOT hook up an external compressor to the Airforce 250A.
                    Thanks
                    Dave Evans

Comment

Working...
                    X