Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole Saws

Hi,

This isn't exactly a welding products issue, but I figured someone on here would be able to help. I have to make 42 1/2" holes in 3/16" mild steel plate on a truck bed. I figured it would be too time consuming using regular drill bits so I went on a search for a 1/2" hole saw. It appears that 3/4" is the smallest hole saw available. I thought they made a 1/2" one, but guess not. Anyone know if they make a 1/2" hole saw, or another way besides drilling to make these 42 holes..........Thanks

I guess if I were doing the job I would beg, borrow, rent or steal a magnetic base drill. If I weren't able to get one of those I guess I would probably just use my Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor. I would start off drilling a smaller pilot hole ( 1/8" or 3/16" pilot drill first ) and then finish with a regular 1/2" drill bit. Use a 1/4" drill motor for the pilot holes because of the higher rpm's needed. An old fashioned oil can with some 10wt oil would make things go easier also. A hole saw would be the last thing I would use. On second thought I guess I would skip the magnetic drill and just use my 1/2" drill motor. Doesn't sound like it would be any big deal really.
    bitternut

Comment

Hougen(makers of magnetic drill presses)now make core bits that fit handheld drills brennantools.com sells the kit fairly cheap 5/16 up to 3/4 for around $60,if you don't already know,core bits cut the outer diameter of a hole and your left with a slug,or "core" versus a regular bit cutting the entire hole,theses are much faster and easier than a standered bit.

Comment

Working...
      X