See I don't always buy brand X.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See I don't always buy brand X.

I picked up the cool tig torch today.It's made by Weldcraft,a ITW company.Which owns Miller.It's a WP-150-12-2 air cooled,and has a flex body that came with a solid element to convert back to a rigid neck.It also came with a 150/200 amp-70 degree head,125 amp 70 degree head.Then I bought a 125-9p,180 degree head for $21.00.The total price for the whole package was about $160.00.They also have a water cooled setup.I just don't need water cooled with my inverter,it runs really cool even on ac.

That gives me a whole lot of different setups with one torch.I love The 180 head already,and only have used it for five minutes.I think I try that setup with the flex body .Sounds kind of cool for tight spots.I have to use real short tungsten for that setup.Its also the two piece power cable for max flexability.It's the best deal in torches out there.

Scott

Don t feel like a loner on this site not everyone here owns only Hobart or Miller. Personally, besides my HH 175, Econotig and MM 210, I also own a CK Systematics 175, Hypertherm Powermax 380, and a Century 250 amp AC/DC buzzbox. And as I previously stated I was going to get the Lincoln SP 175 until they demonstrated such poor customer service to me. I personally find your posts quite interesting to read.

Anyway, does the 180 degree torch make it into a pen torch? After you try the flex head post a review. OK? I could really use a more versitile torch at work sometimes.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Nice comments.

Thanks for the nice comments from both of you.

I think I just like to stir the pot once in a while,if only to see where it ends up.That way I learn way more than following the party line.

Also Dans comment on Lincoln seems true,but I'm kind of just waiting before I let them have it all over the web.Sometimes it just finding the right person to talk to.Lincoln really needs a website like this one,maybe they would learn something about how their customers feel about their products,and if they are ever going to buy anything from them again.I still going to push the best products that I like,but maybe I going to have to add a disclaimer.
      Customer service is the bottom line as far as I can tell.Thats why I buy all my new stuff from my local welding company,instead of the internet.Of course I worked a angle to get great deals from them,but sometimes they make money on me.

Dan the torch is just like a pen torch,but convertable to a standand torch that you can change heads on.You can also get 80 amp heads,and 90 degree heads.What I like is the fact you can take the flex part off the torch and run the solid element.You also can get a the torch body with a valve if needed.The $140 for the torch package is about cost plus 5%.So you know if somebody is trying to take advantage of you.If you add a couple of different heads,Its like getting about five or six torches in one.Thats where the good deal comes in even paying retail.

Now let me tell you guys about the great deal I got on a brand X voltage sensing feeder.(Esab)On second thought maybe I will let the pot simmer for a while longer.

Comment

Re: See I don't always buy brand X.

Originally posted by Scott V
        I picked up the cool tig torch today.It's made by Weldcraft,a ITW company.Which owns Miller.It's a WP-150-12-2 air cooled,and has a flex body that came with a solid element to convert back to a rigid neck.It also came with a 150/200 amp-70 degree head,125 amp 70 degree head.Then I bought a 125-9p,180 degree head for $21.00.The total price for the whole package was about $160.00.They also have a water cooled setup.I just don't need water cooled with my inverter,it runs really cool even on ac.

That gives me a whole lot of different setups with one torch.I love The 180 head already,and only have used it for five minutes.I think I try that setup with the flex body .Sounds kind of cool for tight spots.I have to use real short tungsten for that setup.Its also the two piece power cable for max flexability.It's the best deal in torches out there.
        I have a SEARS ac/dc stick welder and a 110v mig and love them both, have had them for about 4 years, and no problems.
        ROCK

Comment

Tig torch

Hi Scott where did you get your torch? Do you have any links to look at it. I would like to get an air cooled torch to add to my welder when I dont need to use the cooler. Do they fit most machines? Thanks Chub380 Ps I would try to call someone at MK I told you a while ago when I asked there rep he told me the 300 wouldnt work with .023, However that goes against what Ken says so I dont know what to think. He told me that MK made that welder for lincoln so mabie Lincoln dont know to much about it. Would Not hurt to call Mk and see what they say. Chub

Comment

Welder?

Chub380,
            I looked all around the web to find a pic,but no luck.I need to get a camera.I got it at Airgas/Norpac,Inc.On the delivery order papers it says,(WCP 9P) thats for the extra head.The torch package is (WCP wp-150-12-2)That means 150 amp.12 foot leads,2 piece torch,meaning separate gas,and cable connections.It just comes with a lug on the power,and a standard gas line fitting.I just cut the lug off,and put a dinse connector on mine.CK sells lots of adapaters to make anything fit.I don't remember what setup you have?CK sells adapters to make the air cooled torches work with the Lincoln 175,Miller 180 type of setups.The rest of the setups is easy to figure out.

I think MK had something to do with the 300 powermig,I guess that another angle of attack.How much I don't know,becauseI traded my MK 2000A power supply in on the Lincoln.You pull the cover on a Mk unit it's a whole different world as far as quality.My powermig is not bad as far as lincoln goes,but MK is really nice stuff on the inside.Also my MK would really weld great on .023.Plus the MK is a real inverter,where the lincoln is their poor mans version of a inverter.(Chopper tech)Big aluminum transformer.

Comment

Thanks for the info I am looking for something so I dont have to listen to my cooler while doing thin stuff. That torch seems real nice I saw it for sale at a site called arczone.com they can get it all rigged up ready to plug into my machine. He told me it comes with two heads He said I could pick. There was also some tungsten I had never seen before it was called Arc time He said it is better than anything else out there for any application, Have you ever heard of it? I may try some they have a kit with 3 different sizes with gas lenses. also I read on another post that that little esab161 makes funny noises could you explain. I think my machine makes funny noises, also doesnt your prowave?

Comment

Chub,I never heard of the that tungsten let us know if you like it.
                My prowave sounds the same when you step on the foot pedal as far as the sound staying the same.Your esab changes pitch when you step on the pedal.I can change the freq manually,and then it changes it sound.It's just not thru the foot pedal.Yours starts out at a hi freq then when you step on your pedal it goes to a lower freq.It just sounds different.I think its kind of a cool feature.It would be a nice option for any ac/dc inverter.

Comment

Hi Scott, I am sorry I misled you I do not have an Esab, but I wandered what sound it was making. I adjust mine manually just like you do. I think I understand what your talking about now. Insted of staying at the same freq pitch it changes, which intern sounds different. What would a good price be for this kit, 1/16 inch tungsten with gas lens 3/32inch with gas lens 1/8inch with gas lens 3different backcaps and 3 peices of that special tungsten the guy told me about All in a box. I never used a gas lens before so I dont know what to expect. It is just like Millers ak4 kit but with gas lenses and that other tungsten. Thanks Chub

Comment

Chub380,
                    I could see it at over $50.00 no problem.It kind of depends on the cost of the tungstens.So am I close?It would be atleast $40.00 with no tungstens,maybe even higher.What machine do you have,a Dynasty?I know you posted it before.

If you buy the torch kit,try to get a straight part#9P head.Thats the one I ordered separate.My kit came with,#150 solid element for turning it into a rigid head,a 9-70 degree 125 amp head,its the same guts as the 20 series water-cooled.It also came with the flexbody torch,and part#1726 150 amp 70 degree 17 series collets which is the same as the 200 amp air-cooled.Also they have a straight 150 amp head.The collets also fit different water-cooled torches.They even have a 70/90 degree heads for 80 amp torches that fit.They also have watercooled setups also.That should just about cover most things you come up with.Try to set your machine up for the two piece setup if posible.It bends way easier.

One other thing to check is make sure your gas lens cup seats against your torch head for a leak proof seal.My setup works but some need another little seal.I am using a gas lens on the 9 series head,athough I have the standand cup,and collet bodies also.Also using the rigid body with the straight head you can't use a full 7 inch tungsten,Maybe a 5 inch.I just break a 7 inch in half.I haven't try the flex with the straight head,but I think you could get a 7 inch in that one.Thats a pure guess on my part.

That whole setup is really neat.It helps my welding in fillet joints,and horizontals also.I need all the help I can get when welding,this setup has been the best thing so far!Even over my inverter vs transformer.Of course my transformer machine was a very nice unit in its own right.The Esab 252 ac/dc with pulse,and meters.In fact its pulse had way more adjustments then the prowave I have now.
                    Last edited by Scott V; 02-22-2003, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for the info. You were close He told me it is like $79 bucks with the tungstens. I dont think the tungstens are that much more than cereated or lanthanated. about $20 for 10 1/16in and$38for 3/32inch that is for that Arc Time I was telling you about. I am still going to ask my local guy about the gas lens for my machine.I have never bought anything over the internet yet so I see what he can do. I just like the idea of getting a little assorted pack and trying that before I get ten tungstens I dont like. The machine I have is a Dynasty300dx. I like it alot. What tungstens do you use on your prowave? Right now I have been just using the thoriated that came with the machine. They say that the ceriated and lanthanated work better but I dont really Know how they could, the results seem to be very good.I will keep that info about the torch on file so when I order I can bring It up. Would the parts on the Diamondback 250 watercooled torch that I have interchange with the torch that you got? Collets gas lens ect. Thanks again Chub

Comment

The torch parts should be standard on your miller watercooled setup,Thats if its the standard linde stuff.That will fit the 9 series head(125 amp air cooled =250 amp watercooled parts)The gas lens cup setup can get in the way sometimes,it's much bigger.The 125 amp setup is not too bad.You can use a longer tungsten stick out to help with the gas lens.

I just use thoriated 2% red dc+ ac sometimes.For ac only I still like the brown tip zirconiated the best.I had some black lanthanated that came my esab kit but really didn't use them much if at all.It will form a ball like pure tunsten,thats what my friend at the welding store said.Also nice for dc.The zirconiated forms a ball also,but it keeps real small.Thats with 1/16 size.I use them side by side the red tip tungstens,and find I like them better.Seems to take more heat than the red before the tip starts peeling away.Maybe red might be better if you use you freq way up in the 200 range for your welding of thin stuff.Also have the wave balance jacked way over.For standard aluminum welding zirconiated is best for me.Also three times the price of the red ones.Buy one,and try it side by side the red.then you will see if its worth it to you.Just grind to a point,and let the little tiny ball form on its own.I also run my machine at about 27% EN wave balance,and 80 to 90 in the freq setting for most 1/8 aluminum.Seem to get the weld cleaning I need,and also about right for heat.On the ceriated ones,if they are the gray tip ones,Like came in my esab kit,They are about the worst I have used.I don't know if thats them or not.I kind of think they are.I will have to check that out a little more.

Thats kind of my take on tungsten,and a few other things.Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Free samples

Chub,you need to go here for some free samples.Weldlogic is their ebay name.Jim is the president of all three companys.He takes care of the ebay stuff.These guys are flat out awsome.It really was a great company to deal with.Cheap shipping also.I stocked up from them.He is going to check the Chaski web site from time to time.

http://weldlogic.com/diamondground/T...nmaterial.html

Comment

SCOTT V.............AH MAN EVEN I OWN 3 OF THE OLD 750I ESAB PLASMA CUTTING SYSTEMS.......... ONCE ALL THE BUGS WERE WORKED OUT OF THEM THEY CONTINUE TO FUNCTION TO THIS DAY.............WITH OUT INCIDENT AND THE BEST PART IS THEY ARE PORTABLE................. ..................ROCK
                            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X