New Esab migmaster 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Esab migmaster 250

I seen a new one the other day,and they kind of upgraded that unit.They are going to use it as their default mig machine.That means when Miller,or lincoln run a sale on their 250 machine they are going to use that machine to beat the price.

Here is a couple of things they fixed on that machine,first it been out longer than any 250 amp machine.They still have the copper transformer,but fixed a couple of nagging problems with it.
    >solid state contactor
    >4 roll drive setup
    >new case(the multmaster 260 case)
    >double bottle rack
    >extra inductance tap for CO2,(thermalarc style)
    I think it had meters also,but have to check,it was just leaving when I showed up.It is a very smart move to upgrade a proven machine instead of some all new wonder.

I also talked to my friend about the migmaster 210,and the multimaster 160 inverter.First he said the 210 is a import that is real crappy machine,bad drive setup.It needs lots of work.Looks like Miller is safe with their 210 for now.
    He also said he welded with the esab 160 inverter.It has a very bad arc,and esab is not pushing ether machine until they are fixed or 86th out of their line up.

I just thought I give you diehard Miller fans a couple of things to think about.

SCOTT V..........WELL ON THE ESAB INVERTER 160......... I TRIED IT A WHILE BACK, 10 DAYS MAYBE.......... I THINK I'LL GO BACK AND TRY IT AGAIN............ ANY PARTICULAR RANGE FOR THE UNSTABEL ARC TO SHOW UP............................?.................I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING BAD OR GOOD ABOUT IT...........................ROCK
    YES I'M A DIE HARD MILLER FAN BUT WE (MY BROTHERS AND I) OWN OTHERS ALSO.......BESIDES..........WE ALSO OWN PETERBELTS, KENWORTHS, MACKS, JOHN DEERE, CATAPILLER'S, ETC..........YOU GET THE IDEA
    [email protected]

Comment

Rock,My friend didn't say anything more than that.He is usually right about the arc on machines.He could of got a bad one?He mostly compares the arc to the one he like best in that range,the sp175plus.I am starting to compare the arc of the 175 to all my welders,and its kind of funny that little thing can hold its own to about anything I have welded with.Although my new powermig 300 has it kind of beat in the soft arc area.but not really in just laying a bead on some mild steel.The powermig beats it in larger wires,and the 175 beats it in .023 wire.about even in .030.
      That said,I kind of miss my Miller 130xp for .023 120 volt welding.
      That little welder had the kind of down low smooth arc I like.
      I got off track as usual,but I wanted to let you know the kind of arc I like.

Comment

I had a long talk with my supplier yesterday about the inverter machines that are on the market. His opinion is that the difference in money is not worth it unless you need a very portable unit. He said that they are a throw away type machine. He convinced me to go with a transformer machine when I am ready to upgrade, because it will probably last me a lifetime. If those little inverters burn up, there isn't much to fix. He also offered to upgrade me from a 180 to a 250 tig machine at a great discount. Hopefully when the weather breaks, I can start making some money again and get a new setup.
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
        The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Inverter VS transformwr

Arbo, I agree. My MIG is an inverter and weighs around 60#, but I got it cheap and would/could never justify the cost of a new one compared to the transformers. In most cases once the machine is delivered the weight and size is not an issue.

Comment

Arbo, your supplier is probably not a "technology person". Since I'm recently basically new to welding, I should add that most of my background is in electrical/electronics. For the industrial/business type use, the tranformer machines are probably here for a while. For the home/hobbyist weldor, the inverters have some big advantages. As you mentioned, portability, another big advantage is power consumption. A lot of homes cannot easily supply the power that is needed for the transformer machines. Inverter technology is not as new as a lot of people think, it's been around for years - you got a computer?, you have several inverters. Inverter machines will probably follow the path of computers - the price will go down. The thing that is probably holding back inverter production is the (reasonably priced) availability of the higher powered semiconductors that are used in the inverter machines. As I mentioned, I am fairly new to welding and am already looking at TIG machines. I will probably go with the inverter type for two reasons: 1) I can easily run the inverter on my existing power service 2) I'm a technology nut .

Great forum - LOTS of good info here.

Allen T.

Comment

Arbo

On a mig machine,transformers are great,but on a tig machine the arc is so much better it's hard to beat.The higher qualty tigs are really pretty reliable now.Early inverter didn't have the safeguards of the new ones.Voltage spikes killed them,just like a computer.I did have the same thoughts as you when I traded my 252 Esab squarewave in on my Thermalarc inverter.I would still make the same move today.The transformer tigs are proven,and so are the better inverters.The two machines I would buy if I had the funds would be a Dynasty 300,and a Thermal arc 300.They have been around long enough for a track record.All the others you are rolling the dice.On some of the smaller ones,being as cheap as a transformer I would still gamble on a inverter.If you are worried about it blowing,sell in three years before the warranty is up.Keep the machine nice,and you will get most of you money back.Then its just like renting for a few dollars a month.

Comment

Aaron,

I have a Thermalarc 300 gtsw prowave.Time is starting to fly by,but I think I've had it about three years or so?It looks better than the one they have at the welding store,no nicks or dings.My stuff in my basement shop stays in mint condition so when upgrade I get top dollar.I pay way to much money for my stuff to beat the crap out of it.You get some funny looks at the welding store when I bring my stuff in.My stuff is the one to buy used.

Keep us updated on your 185 prowave.

Comment

Aaron

I will.I just hate to see my good stuff go to somebody that does not give a s**t.

Comment

I hear Ya on keeping your equipment in mint condition.

I keep both of my welders covered in blankets (I joke that that keeps em warm through the winter )when not in use to keep dust and metal filings off them. Heck, I even waxed them both when they were first new .

These tools cost alot of money and it's foolish to abuse them or not keep them in tip top shape.

I just traded in a 12 or so year old Snap-on tool box for a new one. You should have seen the dealers face when we loaded my old box. It looked 95% as good as the new one we just unloaded. Needless to say, I got more than I paid for it new in trade, and the dealer sold it 4 hours after he got it.

Comment

And I thought I was the only one who covered his welder!

That old box was made better than the new one too. I still have complete sets of Snap On wrenches and sockets that I bought in 1965-66. My old dealer told me to take care of them, the old ones are better than the new.

Comment

Working...
                      X