Disappointed w/ Lincoln weld-pak 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed w/ Lincoln weld-pak 100

Now before you go and say "what do you expect from a cheap welder !?" I know I know. I thought it would make a difference when I got the gas conversion kit.It did somewhat but now the range of the welder is pretty limited.According to the chart with c25 and .030" my range is limited to 22 ga. to 14 ga. (I think). Anyone have any experience's with the 100 ?

Hopefully soon I can upgrade to the sp-135 plus.Reason I like that one is the finer incriment adjustments for both voltage and wire speed (don't really like the a,b,c,d thing).What welder do you guys recommend for household projects and auto projects ?

There is nothing wrong with that welder IF you stay in the 1/8 inch and under range. I have multi passed thicker material with flux core on non critical joints. My dad had one for 5 or 6 years for body work and I had one also, I bought it used for 150.00. Both welders had the gas kit and used C-25. I sold them both a few weeks after I bought mine for about 275.00 a piece. I used the money to buy a used MM 130 for 275.00 and gave the rest to my dad. The MM 130 is more machine than the lincoln. It weighs a ton more than the lincoln and the new mMillers and Hobarts. I think that it has copper in it. I keep flux core in it and use it for moble use and light duty stuff. I also throw in some .023 for the thin stuff. I prefer the tapped voltage over the infinite on the smaller machines and my dad can still use it also. If you want to upgradeyou might as well go to a 175 amp machine.
    JD Welding & Metal Fabrication

Comment

This may sound stupid but can you give me any tips on using the 100 ? I'm mostly used to welding with a power mig 200 (old job and school) and always seem to be able to weld fine with them.When I try and use the smaller machine It just doesn't seem the same !? If I could I'd upgrade to a 220v machine but the 220 in my garage (all the elec.in the house actually) is old school.
      Last edited by havik180; 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. What are you wanting to weld? How thick? Joints? You aren't going to get that much more range going to another 110v. These things just aren't made to safely weld critical joints in anything over 1/8". I have multi passed 1/4" using a bevel and a gap and knowing what to look for and do.
        I can't really remember the settings that I would use. I know for 1/8" I usually used flux core and tap D then just tune the wire speed. You also will want to use a gap. For the thinner stuff you want to push the gun. Only push using gas not with flux core. I tacked everything on the hottest setting and then adjusted when I was going to weld. You will want a little more stickout with the flux core.
        Dis you switch polarity when you installed the gas conversion? Switch nozzels, contact tips and liners? I also almost always use a very slight side to side oscillation when I use a wire feed machine.

I'm also not sure what you mean by old school electric.

Comment

I have a weld pack 100. It's great when you stay in its parameters! I have multipassed up to 3/16". Its really intended for the smaller stuff. I really just mostly play around with it. I have a Precision Tig 185 for the more important stuff. If you really wnat a good 110 Lincoln, get a 135 T or 135 Plus depending on if you like the taps. But there is a big difference in the price of a weld pack. Since the weld pack series was made for mass distributors I know they are a little inferior but still good machines if you stay in its boundaries. I bought the gas kit and use it. For what its worth.

Brian
          Lone Star beer in my cereal.

Comment

If you really want a nice welder with capability beyond your dreams, you need one that runs off 220 volts.

Having said that, I myself have a sp135T it came as part of my weldpak 3200 HD.

I got it off ebay a few years ago for an absolute steel. It is capable of welding up to 1/8th inch steel, if it has proper amperage provided.

As far as 120 volt welders, IMHO it doesn't get any better than this welder (Sp135x or a Hobart 140.

I don't know what kind of welder you actually have, but if your restricted to 120 volt hookup, you may want to consider an HH140 or an SP135T or Plus.

Depending on what you want to do, you can actually get 160-170 amps output off 120 volt hookup using a dynasty 200dx!!!!! but that's a Tig welder, and that inverter is having to work **** hard.

Even with the Sp135T you have to make sure you have a dedicated 20amp circuit, the only common circuit in a residential setting that has a 20+ amp circuit would be something like a Dryer plug and circuit.

Everything else is 15 amp, if you want to make sure your getting the most of your machine make sure your supplying the amperage called for, on a dedicated circuit and breaker. Also, preheating the metal helps tremendously if your working in a cold garage.

.030 solid mig is the right wire to use, some guys go for straight CO2 to try to get a little more penetration.

My .02 if you can get a 50 amp 220 volt circuit, I recommend the Millermatic 210, it is by far the best bang for the buck machine, and has easy to learn tapped volatge settings.
            Not to mention the ability to weld from 22 guage to 1/2"

Good Luck!!!

Here's my new toy!!!

(warning, welder **** below)

Last edited by Teeps; 12-30-2004, 11:44 PM.
            MM251 w/ Spoolmatic - SOLD
            Sp135 (Weldpack 3200 HD)
            Cheapo Ebay O/A Setup
            Propane with weed burner for metal pre-heat
            Shenzen TIG - 200 AC/DC Pulse

Comment

Originally posted by joebass
              There is nothing wrong with that welder IF you stay in the 1/8 inch and under range. I have multi passed thicker material with flux core on non critical joints. My dad had one for 5 or 6 years for body work and I had one also, I bought it used for 150.00. Both welders had the gas kit and used C-25. I sold them both a few weeks after I bought mine for about 275.00 a piece. I used the money to buy a used MM 130 for 275.00 and gave the rest to my dad. The MM 130 is more machine than the lincoln. It weighs a ton more than the lincoln and the new mMillers and Hobarts. I think that it has copper in it. I keep flux core in it and use it for moble use and light duty stuff. I also throw in some .023 for the thin stuff. I prefer the tapped voltage over the infinite on the smaller machines and my dad can still use it also. If you want to upgradeyou might as well go to a 175 amp machine.

I had two mm130 one was a 130 xp. I would say a fair comparison would be to a Lincoln sp 125 plus. The cost was about even ($500.00 new) The MM 130 was really not much of a welder but the xp version could more then hold it's own with the 125 Lincoln. I prefer the MM 130 xp over the new MM 135,
              My XP came with the Hobart OXO gun, that was really nice. The older 130 came with the worst gun made Millers GA17 pile.
              Esab 2200 AC/DC
              Thermal 211i
              Thermal Pee-wee 85s
              Smith O/A plus mini torch
              Smith machine torch
              LN-25 pro
              LF-72 feeder
              Edwards 65 ton
              5X10 CNC table
              Victor A-120
              Miller Shopmate 300DX
              S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Brand X, Mine has the M-15 gun on it. It is way nicer than the little lincoln gun. Also the drive roll system is nicer. Like I said I only use it for hin stuff and non critical simple portable jobs. For what I have into it and what I use I for I am happy with it.

Comment

Also the drive roll system is nicer

It not more reliable though. My 130 motor shaft was showing signs on pretty good wear (noisy and loose) after a few years. It would take a SP125 plus about twenty years to show that much wear. The Lincolns machines are just tougher, and that goes for all the new Miller/ Hobarts too.

I bought into the cast aluminum drive roll setup the first time, but after seeing many Lincoln beat to crap, I know which is the better system. You can't tell by looking either. I prefer the Lincoln gun to the Tregaskis Miller setup too. I feel it feeds better and uses Tweco parts.
                  The good Tregaskis guns seem to be in the 400 amp range. None of the Trigger problems of the M-10/ M-25 series.

Take a look at the differance between the two.
                  http://www.esabna.com/ESAB/showdetl....D=1731&CATID=9
                  Last edited by Brand X; 12-31-2004, 10:37 AM.
                  Esab 2200 AC/DC
                  Thermal 211i
                  Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                  Smith O/A plus mini torch
                  Smith machine torch
                  LN-25 pro
                  LF-72 feeder
                  Edwards 65 ton
                  5X10 CNC table
                  Victor A-120
                  Miller Shopmate 300DX
                  S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

If you are planning on running a lincoln sp135 plus, you should consider giving it a 30 amp dedicated circuit with 10 gauge wire. The manual recommends a 25 amp circuit but 25 amp breakers are hard to find. Home Depot & Lowes both carry 30 amps breakers. With a 30 amp circuit, the sp135 plus is really sweet, and for a 120v machine they are hard to beat. Lincoln really has them dialed in correctly. In any case, for a small machine, I wouldn't really look any further than the HH140, MM135, the SP135T or the SP135 Plus.

Comment

I can't really remember the settings that I would use but Lincolnweld-pak 100 was a very good welding machine when i used to weld part time, anyways tig welding is always love.
                      Last edited by robertttt; 06-24-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X