? For The Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? For The Experts

HEY GUYS I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT ENGINE DRIVEN WELDERS AND I'M LOST. I'LL BE USING IT TO BUILD PIPE FENCE, ARENAS AND CORRALS. I PLAN TO KEEP PRETTY BUSY SO I WANT TO GET ENOUGH MACHINE WITHOUT GOING OVER BOARD. I'VE LOOKED AT SEVRAL HOBARTS, LINCOLNS, AND THE MILLERS. WOULD LIKE TO STAY AROUND THE 2500 TO 3500 PRICE RANGE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE. BY THE WAY WHATS THE DIFFERNCE BETWEEN TH KHOLER AND ONAN ENGINES? PROS & CONS? THANKS
    IT'S ALL GOOD UNDER THE HOOD

You had to ask!

Here is a thread you might be interested in.I bought a Ranger 305 G that is a super nice machine.I also worked a deal for $3150.00,which is a steal.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=2906

Comment

SPARKY750,
      I've always had very good results with Miller. I would reccommend the Miller 250NT with the 20 H.P. Kohler. I'm just partial to the Kohler engines & have heard that they are cheaper to work on should you ever need to.
      I would tend to stay away from a machine that doesn't have AC weld output because of the type of work you will be doing. I say this because if you ever run across some used tubing that is magnetized, the AC will help with the welding. Hopefully you will use new reject pipe & tubing. It cost a little more than the used stuff but, you make up for it in the labor aspect.
      Back to the Onan or Kohler- I think that it is the same as being a Chevy or Ford person. Good Luck on your venture. John
      John C

Comment

Hi SPARKY750,
        For the job you want to due, I would go with the Bobcat 225NT or the Bobcat 250NT with the Kohler Engine. The generator on the Bobcat 225NT is 8000 watts and the Bobcat 250NT is 9500 watts continuous. These machines don't have a printed circuit board in them, and they are dependable. I like the kohler engine better but that is only my opinion.
        Thank you
        matt

Comment

Well, if you were closer to NY, I'd make you a **** of a deal on a Lincoln with a rebuilt engine that has under 10 hours on it.
          For arc, there is nothing better than a DC gnerator, clocest thing to welding from a battery. Miller machines are AC generators with rectifiers, the big machines are 3 phase rectifiers, and the smaller machines are single phase. The arc quality on the big machines ain't bad, but the small machines leave a bit to be desired if you're welding all day.
          Onan engines are definitely MORE expensive to repair, but, Kohlers ain't exactly cheap either. The biggest problem with small machines is cooling, and both Onan and Kohler rely heavily on the oil for cooling. The best thing any owner can do to extend the life of small engines is to change oil every 10 hours, and use good quality oil. Oil changes are definitely cheaper than connecting rods and blocks.

Comment

SPARKY 750.............HEY STOP BUY SOME DEALERS SHOW ROOMS AND ASK IF YOU CAN WELD WITH SOME OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED MACHINES...........THIS WILL GIVE YOU A MORE ACCURATE (HANDS ON) GUIDE TO GO BY BEFORE YOU PLUNK DOWN YOUR HARD EARNED CASH...............GOOD QUESTION.... ENGINES ARE LIKE CARS FORD,CHRYSLER,CHEVY,NISSAN, ETC..... YOU GET THE IDEA..................................ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

thanks a bunch

THANKS TO EVERYBODY AND THE ADVICE. I'M GOING TO GO DEMO A COUPLE OF MACHINES TODAY. HOPEFULLY I'LL MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE. THIS IS A COOL SITE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THANKS AGAIN.
              IT'S ALL GOOD UNDER THE HOOD

Comment

Working...
              X