Shielding Gas Tank Question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielding Gas Tank Question?

Im getting my new mig welder in about a week , im wondering what size gas bottle i should get? About how many spools of wire will a 40 cubic tank will last through ? I will probaly alot of welding the first week i get it. I really need answers fast ny dad is planing on going in about a week!
    Cummins Tools Welding and Cutting Torch
    Lincoln Hobby Weld
    Lincoln 3200 HD

Originally posted by welderboy12
    Im getting my new mig welder in about a week , im wondering what size gas bottle i should get? About how many spools of wire will a 40 cubic tank will last through ? I will probaly alot of welding the first week i get it. I really need answers fast ny dad is planing on going in about a week!
    Get the biggest one you can afford and handle. My buddy bought an 80cf so I bought a 125 and after getting mounted on my machine I wish I had gone bigger. The bigger the bottle the less often you have to refill and the cheaper the refills are....

Comment

A lot of it depends on how much room you have, how close you are to the supplier, and stuff like that.

Have you decided which gas you want to use? A tank of C-25 will go away at 20/25 CFH, so it's easy to figure how long it will last. 20 pounds of CO2 will last you through 1.25 ten pound rolls of .030 hard wire.

CO2 is definitely the cheapest way to go, but it is not the best gas for welding light guages because of the deep penetration charachteristics. You can expect to pay about the same for a 20# CO2 tank and an 80CF C-25 jug - around $130. I wouldn't try to buy smaller - the price break is better for the bigger tanks.

Good luck.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I think that the 125 is a good option. I used to like the 80 for small welders but the price difference is only $10-15 for the cylinder and less on refills. With a 200-250 amp machine the 225 size is not a bad option. As already mentioned it all boils down to how often you weld and how much room and money you have. The 225 gets tiresome to transport back and forth.

Comment

safety can be a bg concern as well. What ever high pressure bottle you end up with it must be secured. If you are mounting the welder and bottle on a mobile cart the heavier bottles require larger wheels and a wider stance to prevent tipping over. They also need a bigger support and clamp frane for the bottle .

My solution was to purchase a small bottle to carry with the machine in a rack plus the largest I could get as a main tank, I got a pigtail with a check valve in it from my supplier and built a transfer station next to the home position for the mig machine to recharge the little bottle at my convenience.

a better solution might be to buy 2 smaller bottles that your cart can handle safely and refill the empty as soon as you change it if you are welding a lot. What ever you end up with the bottle must not make the cart unstable.

Terry

Comment

welding bottle size

I just recently bought a MM175 and in the manual and video that came with it it says to set the gas at 20cfm. I took a welding class and they said that if you are in a closed garage to set it at 8 cfm. If you are near the garage door and it is open then probably set it at around 10 -15 cfm. And if you are outside and it is not windy then 20 cfm. So I have been welding in my garage all week with the bottle set to 8cfm and it has worked great, and at that setting it will double how long the gas lasts. The instructer said that the welding companies always say to set your bottle at 20 cfm to simplify things so that you always get good welds without having to think about air drafts, and whether you are inside or out. The whole welding class was taught with us welding with the bottles set at 8-10 cfm. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by hankj

A lot of it depends on how much room you have, how close you are to the supplier, and stuff like that.

Have you decided which gas you want to use? A tank of C-25 will go away at 20/25 CFH, so it's easy to figure how long it will last. 20 pounds of CO2 will last you through 1.25 ten pound rolls of .030 hard wire.

CO2 is definitely the cheapest way to go, but it is not the best gas for welding light guages because of the deep penetration charachteristics. You can expect to pay about the same for a 20# CO2 tank and an 80CF C-25 jug - around $130. I wouldn't try to buy smaller - the price break is better for the bigger tanks.

Good luck.

Hank
              When you say 20 pounds of CO2 will last through 1.25 ten pounds of .030 hard wire. are you saying a 20Cf tank will last over a 8in spool? beacuse if you are i'm might consider making a dual cylinder rack.
              Tyler
              MM135
              Porta Torch

Comment

KBC,

No.

CO2 is sold by weight. The actual vapor volume is significantly greater than 20 cubic feet. CO2 vapor = .12341 cu. ft. per pound of CO2, so a 20# tank will give you ~162 cu. ft., or approx. 8 hours welding time at 20 CFH.

A 20 cu. ft. tank discharged at 20 cu. ft./hour will last 1 hour!
                MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                HH 210 w/DP 3035
                TA185TSW

Comment

If I did the math right, my 50 pound CO2 cylinder will last 20 hours at 20 cfh.
                  What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Or keep your keg cold for 3 years!

Hank
                    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                    HH 210 w/DP 3035
                    TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by heyfishguy
                      I just recently bought a MM175 and in the manual and video that came with it it says to set the gas at 20cfm. I took a welding class and they said that if you are in a closed garage to set it at 8 cfm. If you are near the garage door and it is open then probably set it at around 10 -15 cfm. And if you are outside and it is not windy then 20 cfm. So I have been welding in my garage all week with the bottle set to 8cfm and it has worked great, and at that setting it will double how long the gas lasts. The instructer said that the welding companies always say to set your bottle at 20 cfm to simplify things so that you always get good welds without having to think about air drafts, and whether you are inside or out. The whole welding class was taught with us welding with the bottles set at 8-10 cfm. Hope this helps.
                      After I read this I went out and tried it. Maybe my regulators off but when I tried it at 10CFH I got a kind of redish brown something around the weld instead of black, The garage doors were shut and I used the same parameters for 20CFH and the 10CFH.
                      Tyler
                      MM135
                      Porta Torch

Comment

KBC,

The "reddish-brown" is what I expect to see. It's silicon from the solid wire, and brushes right off. I'm not used to any black stuff. That spells soot to me, and there shouldn't be any unless you've figured out a way to weld oak!

Hank
                        MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                        HH 210 w/DP 3035
                        TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                          KBC,

The "reddish-brown" is what I expect to see. It's silicon from the solid wire, and brushes right off. I'm not used to any black stuff. That spells soot to me, and there shouldn't be any unless you've figured out a way to weld oak!

Hank
                          I may not be cleaning my base metal enough. I'll shoot a pic and put it up threemorrow. so what your saying is silicone or brown crap is OK so and it doesn't mean anything causing pososity or anything?
                          Tyler
                          MM135
                          Porta Torch

Comment

KBC,

Correct. Brush it off and look at your bead. If it looks good, worry no more!

Hank
                            MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                            HH 210 w/DP 3035
                            TA185TSW

Comment

Its easy to tell if you have too little gas- you will get pinholes or aero bars as we call them at work.One guy welded all morning once with gas turned off and got dubbed the name aero!

Comment

Working...
                              X