wire welding itself to contact tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire welding itself to contact tip

I recently purchased a HH175, after using a 135 amp welder for past few years. Today several times the wire kept burning itself back to the contact tip and welding itself to it. I am sure I have seen something on this forum before on what the cause is, but I haven't found it. I tried looking in my owners manual but didn't see anything in it on this subject. I know a few times with the 135 amp welder I burned the wire back to the contact tip , but never welding the wire to the tip like this is doing. I tried to bust the weld off the end of the contact tip and ended up bending the tip and ruining it. Replaced the tip and after awhile it did pretty much the same only not as bad. What am I doing wrong?

The first thing I would check is the tension on the drive rollers. Then the drag on the wire spool. The wire should be able to come out of the gun and curl against your hand.

Comment

I think you are using a bit too little stickout at the end of your weld. Some of these new machines have a pull-back feature for the wire when the trigger is released so it automatically pulls the wire back a little to get it out of the weld puddle. I would try pulling the tip a little bit further from the puddle atleast when you stop the weld. You should maintain atleast 3/8"-1/2" stickout while welding.
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

I will have to check both possible causes and see if I can find the answer, but probably not today as it is snowing out side today, and my shop is pretty much unheated. I do have another question though. My old welder was not a Hobart the gas always stayed set pretty much where I set it at. I just turned on the gas and started welding. With this new Hobart it appears everytime I turn on the gas to it I have to reset the gas pressure why is this? Would it be that the pressure regulator could be bad?

Comment

gas pressure

Its a good idea to turn off the pressure to the gun (either regulator screw or flowmeter valve) when shutting down. Not unusual for pressure to be a little off from time to time.

Comment

Flow gage regulators indicate higher than set flow with down stream back pressure as closed welder's solenoid valve. The flow gage reacts to pressure upstream of specified size orifice but indicate flow rate.
            I have repaired thousands of scuba regulators and have noted a little higher reduced pressure after flow surge of opening bottle stop valve which returns to set pressure after short normal flow purge. I have only guesses why but it was normal. Set pressure 130 ps might surge up to 135.

I have a you got to be kidding attitude about backing off all regulators as twins of models with hand set adjusting screws have preset bolts with locknut that are never backed off. However O2 and Acetylene pressure surges can do some explosive things under right conditions. I always back off those regulators. I always stand to side of regulators, valves and gages and pressurize slowly. I have seen a difficult bottle valve opened with great effort. The bonnet unscrewed. The handle, valve stem and bonnet shot across room like a bullet. If HP cylinder has difficult to operate valve trade it for another or have it fixed.

Comment

It will probably just take some getting used to as the old welder did not have the purge setting to it. When I was through welding with it after shutting off the welder I would shut off the valve at the argon bottle then squeeze the trigger until all the pressure was off the line. I noticed on the old welder even if I didn't take this step the pressure would be bled off after a short while never had any luck finding where it was leaking from imagine from the trigger area don't know for sure. On the HH175 after finishing welding with it, I shut off the valve at the cylinder then switch back over to the purge setting and release the pressure off of the line. I hadn't made any adjustments to the regulator, but after noticing I was burning back to the contact tip and started looking for possible reasons I noticed that the pressure was at the maximum range. I had previously set it for around 23 psi. and it would drop down to around 20 when pulling the trigger which I figured would be about right. I might try setting the lock nut at the regulator as I usually have just ajusted the screw. I don't think I will be doing any thing with it today though as it is still snowing out, might be a better day to be doing inside honey do projects.

Comment

back off

Roger, most flowmeters don't have an adjusting screw for the main diaphragm, so you can't do much with them, but if using a flowmeter/regulator, common sense tells you that tank pressure slamming against the diaphragm isn't doing it any good. To each his own I guess.

Comment

Tips are cheap ... almost as cheap as advice ... don't waste time with a burned tip, just replace it. Look for the 10-pack at Praxair, Airgas, or the like, rather than Home Depot.
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X