Gas or flux core cost comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas or flux core cost comparisons

Can anyone tell me if there is a significant cost difference between using a flux cored wire or shielded gas wire. I have the gas kit for my (please don't laugh) Lincoln Weld Pak 100, and was wondering if it would be worth the added expense of getting the gas cylinder(s). I was thinking that down the road I will get a bigger mig, and assume any cylinders I got for the Lincoln would also work with any larger Hobart/Miller unit. The reason I am thinking about using the shielded wire is because my local supplier discontinued carrying Hobart flux core, and now has some generic stuff that is real nasty (pops, spits, and sputters) to work with...........thanks

Lowes, Home Depot (building supply), Princes Auto, NAPA Auto parts, and Sears is short list of places not welding dealers that sell MIG wire. Even a bad dealer should order most any consumable for a price. Many online dealers including northerntool.com. sell mig wire.

Fluxcore wire can't weld as thin metal as solid wire with shielding gas. Many modern car bodies steel is too thin for your welder. Solid wire has less spatter when using Argon/CO2 shielding gas. Has less smoke and no flux to clean. Solid wire can't be used when wind blows away shielding gas. Fluxcore has better penitration which is important welding upper steel thickness capasity of your welder. Flexcore wire keeps your welder more portable.
    Yes solid wire is worth the trouble and expense for me.

Pop your poor welding fluxcore wire into oven @ about 150 degre F for a few hours to dry it out and it might weld better. Just don't melt plasitic wire reel.

Comment

Some guys laugh when i say there are cheap welding rods and wire,but i have seen it first hand on many projects,use name brand stuff!Yes the conversion is worth it,i started out with that very same machine and it made me ALOT of money,you have to buy or lease your cylinder and you can use that cylinder and gauge with any machine you want in the future,you can always convert back to flux in minutes if you need to but once you use gas you will love it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I never thought of looking at Home Depot for welding supplies. I have to go price some skid loader tires today, maybe Home Depot will have them too....I wish. I have been giving some consideration to the HH175, but when I think about loosing the portability of the 110V welder I wonder if I shouldn't be looking for something a little larger with more capabilities. This way I could use the 110V away from home to get by, and use the larger machine at home. When the time comes to upgrade, my first search is gonna be for a dealer that has been around for a while, and stocks quality consumables. Thanks again.

Comment

You can also order Hobart wire online here .
          If you do convert to gas get a decent sized tank so you won't have to go to get it filler so often to realize more savings.
          AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
          Miller MM210--now X2
          Hypertherm 380
          Miller autodark hood

Comment

Thanks Zachv,

The price isn't too bad on the Hobart wire. What I save on the cost of the wire should about pay for the shipping. I was paying $14-$16 for the 2 pound roll of flux core.

Comment

From web page:
              STANDARD GROUND SHIPPING INCLUDED WITHIN THE CONTINENTAL U.S.
              AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
              Miller MM210--now X2
              Hypertherm 380
              Miller autodark hood

Comment

I like welding with gas myself. It looks a whole lot cleaner. I would go ahead and get a tank and some .35 wire. I buy my tanks and like to trade up to the next size when it is empty. I am not picky where I get my wire. As long as it melts stuff together. I have had no problems with the off brands. Get the biggest spool you can. Those lil 2 pounders don't last long.
                Art is dangerous!
                www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

Working...
                X