vertical across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vertical across

I have more problems with making consistant horizontal vertical welds; especially on stainless. Dan and Rocky, what motions do you suggest?
    chasin' the $

vertical across

Could try to help but not sure what you mean normally vertical & horizontal do not go in the same word, but i've found when running verts with stick turning the welder down just a hare will help you get used to it then turn it up as you get more comfortable but if you move your rod up out of the puddle just about have the size of your rod for a second it will let the temp of your puddle drop just a bit then go back in to it. this will the bead from spilling out and making turkey heads on your welds.

hope this helps

Comment

vert welding

I mean welds in the vertical position that travel right or left instead of up or down. I don't have much problem with 6011 because I can take the arc away and back, but anything with heavy slag (7018 or stainless rod) gives me problems. I wonder if there's a consistant pattern that works well.
      chasin' the $

Comment

Sounds as though you are using a small weave pattern, if you can open the bottom loop wider, and bring the rod up the side just enough to let
        the molten pool 'set' so it won't run, you may find that the 'slaggers' work better for you.
        work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

I'm still not sure what a horizontal vertical weld is....are you meaning a horizontal weld on a vertical surface?

7018 and stainless are heavy slag rods. They will fool ya when making a vertical weld...you will see the slag drip down, and you'll be thinking it's weld metal, when it's just slag and chips off to reveal a good weld. The trick is being able to recognize it...so you weld blind sorta, cuz you can't see your deposition all that good. Just don't pay attention to all the drippings. I don't know if this makes any sense to you guys, but that's kinda what I do.

Comment

Yes, I mean a horizontal weld on a vertical surface. What's the proper name for that joint? In a chicken plant, all the welds are out of position on nasty surfaces; 6011 welds made quickly with no preparation. The hardest part is getting used to working up high in the air with nothing to hold on to.
            chasin' the $

Comment

Mikeb;
              Working high in the air with nothing to hold on to is an OSHA reportable violation, each instance can earn the company a $5000 fine.
              I wouldn't put my life out on a plank for any employer.
              The least they can do for you is provide fall-arresting harness gear, and the propper training to use it correctly- this is the law, it is illegal for the company to ask you to work without protective gear.
              The work is hard enough without having to worry if you are in a safe position.
              work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb
                Yes, I mean a horizontal weld on a vertical surface. What's the proper name for that joint? In a chicken plant, all the welds are out of position on nasty surfaces; 6011 welds made quickly with no preparation. The hardest part is getting used to working up high in the air with nothing to hold on to.
                That would be a horizontal butt joint. You would do it with stringers...no weave,,,jut straight weld and go fast enough so as not to let gravity pull your weld to the bottom, leaving a "cold lap". The hard part is t keep from undercutting the top edge of the weld. If you do run another fast pass over the undercut to fill it up.

Ed is right about OSHA regs. You have to have a harness if you go up any more than 6 feet. However, in a lot of situations the gear gets in the way, and will knock you off balance. These rules IMHO, are made by people who have never been higher off the ground than the front seat of their Mercedes!

Comment

Working...
                X