magnesium/aluminum alloy repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnesium/aluminum alloy repair

I have a client that has a turbine powered compressor that has a shaft coupling made of 60/30/10 aluminum/magnesium/hard agents according to certificate(no idea what hard agents are defined as). Local welding houses tell us that the magnesium level is extremely high, and they balk at any suggestions as to welding repair. A new coupling is of different design, and would require new certificate ( costly!). Anybody ever weld on this type of alloy?

AC, I just spent an hour looking through reference material as I have no experience with an alloy of this composition. I checked the composition of 87 aluminum alloys and just as many Magnesium alloys and nothing comes close to this. If this was my project I would bring in my welding engineer and contact the manufacturer for advice. You will need a little more information before welding, if welding is possible. Please keep me advised of how you proceed, I am always interested in new things.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Comment

AC/DC ROCKS AND MIKE SHERMAN.........I DID SOME RESEARCH MYSELF HERE IS WHAT THE HOBART WELDING ENGINEERS HAVE TO SAY. WE HAVE NOTHING AT HOBARTS TO WELD THIS HOWEVER THERE ARE 2 COMPANIES YOU CAN DEAL WITH THAT DO THE FIRST IS CERTANIUM , WWW.CERTANIUM.COM SORRY I DO NOT HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR THEM...........THE SECOND IS INCO ALLOYS PHONE IS 304-526-5100, BOTH OF THESE COMPANY'S KNOW HOW TO WELD THIS MATERIAL I AM TOLD......... LET US KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY...........BE SAFE.................ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

Many thanks to Rock and Mike. We have decided to apply for new certificate with new coupling. I checked with factory, and they could repair, but would not address dynamic balance considerations. Shaft turns fast (10,000 rpm idle state). For reference, materail can be welded, requires pre-heat of 1,000+degrees in non-oxygen atmosphere. They say process is really like welding cast iron in that if not done right, cracks come back to haunt you.

Comment

WOW..............I WOULD NOT WANT CRACKS AT 10,000 RPM IDLE STATE..................THAT JUST MIGHT DESTROY YOUR DAY........ BE SAFE OUT THERE NOW...........GOOD CALL RECERTIFICATION IS THE WAY TO GO..........................ROCK..............
          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X